Author Topic: Just joined from Wigan area UK  (Read 5095 times)

jesim1

Just joined from Wigan area UK
« on: November 30, 2018, 07:26:21 pm »
Hi Guys

I just happened across this forum and thought I'd add my details as I ride a K1600GTLE after parting with my GS1200LC earlier in the year.

So far it's a great bike, a better screen and seat are on the cards, but it's generally a nice thing to throw around through the couple of thousand miles I've manged on it so far, and overall I'll probably chalk up around 6k miles this year on a few different bikes, but it will be slow going over winter.

A few friends have Harleys and keep trying to tempt me, but after doing a coast to coast trip across America on a Road King this year I was glad to get back to my GTL - bliss 8) I still go to some of the Harley Rallies though as I find they do a good party - unlike the BMW owners club which I found very staid and grumpy, so hoping you guys are a bit more "alive".

James

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Just joined from Wigan area UK
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
Welcome in, with the BMW club you are right, the senior admins are both very old and grumpy and it's about time they handed over to younger people. Ask Steve Parry (SL Parry)  ;D :o

We are not only alive, some would say mad, I prefer eccentric  ;)
Take a look at the events section, there may be something there to tempt you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:55:39 pm by raesewell »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:37:14 pm »
Hi James from the land of my fathers (father's, farthers, furthest  ::)) anyroadup, and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

I think that parties and the BMW club don't really compute. Whereas parties and EuroKClub go together like chalk and cheese. Er, maybe not.

Either way, 'ow about a meet up when we all come oop north for the Wrinklies trip in June? Unless you fancy tagging along. As long as you're not on a H........ ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »
Welcome James!
Some of us are ancient too, but not in a stuffed shirt way.

And for guidance on what 'Wrinklies trip in June' means:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3419.0

"We can see your house from here." etc.

I'm sure a Harley is fine in the good hands. It's just a rare combination.  ;D
But I do quite like Buells.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:14:06 pm »
Thassit, yer banned!

jesim1

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 02:19:51 am »
Thanks guys

The wife is away on a break with a friend just now seeing as I've been in the states for the past 4 weeks, so I'll get back to you about the trip later as it's just a few days before "The Gathering" in Dunoon (Clyde Valley Chapter), so I'd be clocking up close on 1500 miles that week if I do both, and I don't know if my marriage will take that!  :-[

James
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:14:02 pm by jesim1 »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 09:14:05 am »
Completely random, but I searched for '"The Gathering" in Dunoon' since I've never heard of it, and got this as the second result.
I can't think of anything less wise than doing that in Scotland in May;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:05:27 am »
+1

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 11:44:33 am »
Hello James and welcome to the club. A nice intro from you.

I was speaking to a chap a few weeks back who did the coast to coast trip on a Harley with some mates and he loved it. The only downside were the vibes. His hands were afflicted with pins and needles and his knuckles went white. He vowed never to buy one. He didn't mention the model, but all H bikes are like that I'm told.

Belco (a forum member) on here will probably give you any advice on the K16 as he's had a number of them for many a year. Must admit, when the K16 Bagger came out I didn't like the look of it. However, it's starting to grow on me just a little bit, but not enough to sign on the dotted line. I'm still popping around on the Kwacker which I still enjoy.  ;)

jesim1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 01:12:37 pm »
Completely random, but I searched for '"The Gathering" in Dunoon' since I've never heard of it, and got this as the second result.
I can't think of anything less wise than doing that in Scotland in May;D

;D ;D ;D - Love it, but no, I'm here: http://www.clydevalleyhog.com/?The%20Gathering%202019&id=28

As for the post from gibbo - I was on a 2018 HD Road King with the new Milwaukee 8 engine, it was a totally different experience from anything else HD I've tried, and was a real step up in terms of vibration from the older bikes with the 1690 engines. If I could get a cheap one to have just for the HD rallies then I would consider it, but it's too much money on top of the GTL, and they are kind of designed to both do big journeys, but there is way too much on the BMW I'd miss, so no chance of me swapping it out for a Harley any time soon.

James

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
Great, someone who found out how to post photos without asking, well done James  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »
Great, someone who found out how to post photos without asking, well done James  8)

Whoo. Applause given on his 3rd post!

Oh, and for all the mickey taking, Harley owners do tend to stick together well in terms of rallies, etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:21:23 pm by richtea »

jesim1

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:51 am »
Thanks Guys

Everyone has made me feel very welcome  :D

James

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 09:47:16 am »
Don't worry, that'll change!  ;)

Welcome.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 10:02:05 am »
Ya gorra lull em into a false sense of security for a little while longer...