Author Topic: Trusted Independent in Warwickshire - valve check?  (Read 615 times)

Offline runnerboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: The best colour K13s 😉 Remus can, carbon hugger, Heli risers.
Trusted Independent in Warwickshire - valve check?
« on: April 16, 2024, 09:55:02 pm »
The time has come to sell one of the K’s, I love the idea of keeping both but realistically unless I consider it as a long term risk reduction for the other K, it should go.
Before that though, I’d like to have the valves checked for the next owner. Can anyone recommend a workshop who will do the work at a reasonable rate, in the Midlands?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Trusted Independent in Warwickshire - valve check?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 10:45:17 pm »
You could try Behind Bars in Kenilworth. Andy Spencer the owner is trustworthy and competent. I'm not sure he's a K expert, but he's certainly worked on plenty of BMWs, so there shouldn't be any surprises in a K.

The trouble with K valve checks is that it's inherently expensive because of the time to strip the bodywork down.

You almost want to do a deal where you strip it, push it into workshop, he does the valves, then push it out and stick all the plastic back on. Probably wouldn't go down well with most indies though.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 08:14:31 am »
Look forward to replies cuz ever since the demise of Clark’s on top of the Lickies and the complete lack of any attempt from BMW to fill the gap,their are good mechanics out there(as in put a 1300 gearbox in my 1200 as a favour ) but I’ve been looking for a true independent ever since and that’s got to be 6 years or more.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:56:45 am by chriscanning »

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 09:23:15 am »
I’d try Behind Bars too. It’s actually not that difficult to check the valves, you just need time, a vacuum filler for the cooling system and a puller to get the coil packs out. If they need adjustment (most don’t) you need a special tool to remove the camshafts and the shims.

As well as the time, dealers will usually change the plugs @ £40 each while it’s apart.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 02:39:47 pm »
You could try Behind Bars in Kenilworth. Andy Spencer the owner is trustworthy and competent. I'm not sure he's a K expert, but he's certainly worked on plenty of BMWs, so there shouldn't be any surprises in a K.

The trouble with K valve checks is that it's inherently expensive because of the time to strip the bodywork down.

You almost want to do a deal where you strip it, push it into workshop, he does the valves, then push it out and stick all the plastic back on. Probably wouldn't go down well with most indies though.

You can strip the bodywork and ride it to them. I did that when I had the K12 cleaned and sealed with wossisname...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 03:13:46 pm »
You can strip the bodywork and ride it to them. I did that when I had the K12 cleaned and sealed with wossisname...

Good idea!
Do they run OK without the thermometer attached? (attached to the left lower fairing)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 04:18:33 pm »
Leave it connected and just gaffa tape it to the side of the ECU. It is only the ambient air temp gauge.

Offline runnerboy

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: The best colour K13s 😉 Remus can, carbon hugger, Heli risers.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 10:02:20 pm »
Thanks all, I have used Andy for a fair bit of work and also found him trustworthy, the K was with him when I was trying to sort the noise issue, I will swing past and ask him. As it happens I was at Sytner (old Rybrook) in Warwick today for my GS service. They quoted £210.00 for just the valve check, any other work would be on top. Will update here once I pop past Andy.

As it happens I have been riding it without the air temp sensor, new one is on the work bench.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 10:23:15 pm »
£210 for the valve check seems very reasonable. I shall file that under 'Interesting!'

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 07:50:10 am »
£210 for the valve check seems very reasonable. I shall file that under 'Interesting!'

It does! Nice and easy to get at them there. Turn that 180 degree to a... Whatever V degrees my ktm is and that price more than doubles!

Oh. And you know. Rotate it 90 degrees so the heads are hidden inboard somewhere. Ahem.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 10:01:07 pm »
Randomly found this chap not too far over in Northamptonshire, who might be helpful:

Ian Joyce, Bike Motor Works (see what he did there)
Long Lodge Farm, Main Road, Grendon, NN7 1JW
Mob:07890 085891

I can see he's serviced a K1300GT at some point, so it's not just boxers.

Ref:
https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/bike-motor-works-grendon-northants.356981/

Address and number from here:
https://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/2007792-bike-motor-works-northampton

Offline runnerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2024, 08:15:36 pm »
Cheers, will take a look. Got out early today to go to Elan Valley - lucked out with very little traffic, superb ride. Will have to make work of the valve check next week now, but good weather is so rare these days, it had to be done.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 08:49:42 am »
And although we won't be getting the same weather you got, we're off to mid Wales for a day or three so hope we have no traffic either. Remember - 20mph, 20mph, 20mph...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 09:53:21 pm »
And although we won't be getting the same weather you got, we're off to mid Wales for a day or three so hope we have no traffic either. Remember - 20mph, 20mph, 20mph...

I stuck to 23mph just outside of Stirling yesterday. The local behind me just swept past at 40mph. But it was rush hour. Hey ho.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2024, 09:15:57 am »

I stuck to 23mph just outside of Stirling yesterday. The local behind me just swept past at 40mph. But it was rush hour. Hey ho.

Child murderer! You that is at 23mph. The guy at 40 was past before the kids came out </clichedjoke>

How was/is Scotland? Did you have a nice time?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022