Author Topic: California Superbike School Level 1 - Brands Hatch  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
California Superbike School Level 1 - Brands Hatch
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:50 pm »
In the beginning there was DAS. This taught me that bikes go fast. And that they have brakes. And steering. And not to do both at the same time.

Then there was some riding/driving assessment everyone at my workplace was required to do to retain access to parking. This taught me about sight lines, the vanishing point. And positioning for safety and advantage. And that I was safe.

After that was 8 years of ~12,000 miles per year. To begin with there were road trips in that number, but as time went by it turned into mostly commuting, and recently a depressing motorway commute. It also saw me go from a piston-slappy F800ST with 85hp at best, to a K1300S with 175hp.

For the last few years I've told myself I'll do either Ron Haslam's or the CSS. Then I drink to forget. Finally I booked the CSS this year (Jesus year 2019) at Brands Hatch. Leading up to the date I got some new, less square tyres (Metzeler Roadtec 01, fatty bike re-enforced version), and some tank grips (Techspec something or other). Oh and I secured track day insurance from BeMoto because I assumed i'd fall off (it was a subjective bargain at ~£110).

Everything done I had a nice sit down and then treated myself to some horrific food poisoning a few days before, just to help me fit into the ten year old leathers.
It didn't help enough, so next time I'll go for a tape worm.

Day Minus One
I live more than 6 inches from Brands Hatch, and given the 7am registration starting time, decided to stay at the most exotic hotel I could fine nearby. This ended up being the incredible Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch. Let me tell you something about this hotel: it's a bit mehh. Why can't we have proper lighting in the room? I have some not-very-positive thoughts on why not, so I'll move on.

I arrived late and had an early night. The soundproofing between rooms was terrible, or perhaps Kent'ish people make more noise than wherever I've been before. Either way I need (and will soon have, ultimateear were there so I got new molds) more comfortable earplugs for hotel nights.

Day Minus Zero
As I had a depressing sober evening I woke up at 6am feeling hip hop and ready to go. But breakfast didn't start until 0630. Except there were some cereals and pastry if I was ok with that. I was ok with that. I had that.

Then I got out of dodge, and rode about 100m to the entrance to the circuit. Got directed to some area, and then welcomed and directed across the track to the pits. So far so dry.

I parked up in the pit lane next to the school Ducatis, then was asked to move as the "yellow group" markers got moved. So I did that and managed to not quite drop my bike walking it about on the downhill sloping pit lane.

Over the next hour or so there was general faffing, people taping over my mirrors, sticking a big yellow number on the front, and some photographer-assisting bar-codes onto the fairing sides.

---

The day proceeded with 5 track sessions. Each one was preceded by a classroom session, and followed by a 5–10 minute chat with the tutor. There was one tutor to three children, and they'd find you out on track. Or as often happened to me, I'd find them and wait about going slowly as they finished schooling up the other children. When engaged they'd lead you around teaching you the particular drill, then follow you for a bit to see if you die.

I won't go into all the details, but it was an amazing and valuable day where I learned a lot, re-enforced things I'd forgotten, and remembered why I love bikes. Anyway, a brief overview of events follows.

The first session was about throttle control. Pretty simple, and like most sessions it was limited to third gear and no braking allowed.

Second session was focused on turning points. They put a nice big X where they wanted you to do some turning.

Third then concentrated on getting that turning bit done quickly and positively. The lesson being the quicker you sort the steering input, the quicker you can get pointing in the right direction and so apply the power.

Fourth built on the above, looking at steering inputs, counter-steering, and the importance of gripping the bike with the old leg zones to avoid putting all the weight through the bars. A discussion we had on our Wrinklies trip not a week later. It rained on this session and I think we lost one person to a low-side on a school Ducati, which was slightly amusing once sure everyone was ok.

The final session was all about looking with your eyes, which are, if you follow certain schools of though, important for riding. In essence we practised having a look where we want to go just before getting to the turning point. It rained even more in this session, but I felt very comfortable and got congratulated for going too fast.

Summary
It was well good.

Now I want to buy a bike for playing on tracks with. But also to do an off-road day so I can find even more ways to be poor/have arthritis in retirement.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:55:20 pm by richtea »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: California Superbike School Level 1 - Brands Hatch
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:38:15 pm »
Excellent write up. And good photos too.

Keep the cool barcodes!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:38 pm »
Good stuff
Only time I ever did something similar was a track day at Mallory in about 2003 on my oldest and fastest fj12. After the first session in beginners I came in feeling enthused and happy. Was a bit worried as this ducatisti in full matching leathers marched over towards me looking pretty annoyed. Feck what did I do I thought. " how the hell do you not fall off " he said " I cannot believe how far you can  lean" then his mate pointed out my largely destroyed footrests. My technique at the time generally involved leaning over until things started to drag then progressively climbing off the side.  This subsequently became a point of note during the rest of the day as various people came over to have a look. "Do you know you are leaving black lines out of the corners " was a later comment. I was nowhere near quickest but obviously entertaining  to watch as I gradually decoked the engine and cooked my brakes. I would have felt quite content but the fast group was one of the bsb teams (Virgin ?) and they were lapping 20 secs faster which put things in perspective. Currently I have vanishing chicken strips and am getting to the point where it's getting a  bit squirrely on occasion, but the footrests are not down. Must try harder

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:02:21 pm »
Should the school not be called Kent Superbike School as it's nowhere near California (either of them)  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:19 pm »
Should the school not be called Kent Superbike School as it's nowhere near California (either of them)  ;)

Kent Sports Touring School. Let's get it right.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:09:56 am »
I dunno, I was asked to take my panniers off whilst waiting to go out for the first session, so maybe not Touring!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:23:05 am »
Great write up!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

gibbo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 09:26:31 am »
Great postings with piccies. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us less fortunate.  :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:58 pm »

I'll take the piccies while you suggest that to Keith Code, Rae...

And, whilst I am not necessarily of the opinion that track days improve your road riding (and I have never done one so am obviously an expert  ::) ), having followed Matt on last year's Wrinklies I think it was a far safer option (for us and for him) than doing an advanced road day with someone like Rapid; fewer things to hit etc.

And, having seen more thruppenny bits last year than I used to have in my pocket money collection, I can only marvel at the transformation in Matt's riding on this year's Wrinklies. No more thruppenny bits, no more manic braking mid corner and no more wild leg flailing or throttle wrenching.

So, well worth the money and if I'd known I'd end up behind him again, I would happily have paid for his course for my peace of mind. Don't bother Matt, it's too late for asking...

Now then, about those vanishing points  8)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 05:59:56 pm »
Last week had the level II, friends is a true revelation.
Matt don't forget to say hey to Garry fm me. Npw woth your photos i know what to tell him amd to who he should look for.   
Sorry still unable to post photos.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 07:24:06 pm »
Great write up (and photos) Matt.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:55 pm »
Now I know why you have bar codes on your fairing panels. Hope they don't take the paint off when you remove them.

Very good write up.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 05:47:14 pm »
Oh! As an update and in case one of us forgets to take their bar code stickers off for several weeks: They came off no probs, pulled back as opposed to away from the panels and not even a mark.

And the bike was dry & dirty at the time. I imagine if you're washing it at the same time it'd be... exactly the same.

As another little update, i'm dallying around looking at other UK tuition providers at the moment, there seem to be a few after we get past Haslam and CSS. I still do expect I'll do the rest of the CSS  too. I may or may not have several autotrader tabs open too.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 06:04:43 pm »
Have you taken/passed IAM yet?
It may not be a knee down thing, but you'll find you ride faster with less stress. Oh, and generally live longer.