Author Topic: Sewells in France and Belgium 2018  (Read 6833 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Sewells in France and Belgium 2018
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:55:47 pm »
After some trying times recently Melanie and I are off for a well deserved holiday in France and Belgium, we had this originally planned for September but we had to cancel and re-book. We leave home on Saturday staying over in Market Harborough before a leisurely dash for the tunnel on Sunday morning. Our first French destination is Le Touquet (one of my favourite places). Monday morning sees us off to Reims for a couple of days. Dinant is our next destination for another couple of days before heading to Ypres where we will be meeting up with Sudolea and his wife for some eats and drinks.  :D Heading back to the UK on Saturday morning.
I'll try to remember to take some photos, but as you already know, sometimes I forget  :-[
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:03:35 pm by raesewell »

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
Re: Sewells in France and Belgium 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »
I hope that you have a great trip Rae. 
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:19:10 pm »
You sure drew the short straw weather wise with having to re-book. Still, I know you love your waterproofs... ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »
It certainly looks like a wet start but hey, we're roughty toughty bikers  ::)

Oh, and I also have a bike that doesn't dissolve in a bit of rain  ;D not decrying BMWs, just the people that think their bike might dissolve in a bit of rain  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:47:13 pm by raesewell »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 01:32:38 pm »
Enjoy the trip Rae.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:35:53 pm »
Enjoy Rae and Mellanie.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:37:11 pm »
Enjoy Rae and Mellanie.
Thank you Costas, I'll pass on your wishes to Melanie.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:49:33 pm »
I have been a bit derelict in my reporting duties, so here is a catch up.
The trip started on Saturday, the rain stopped just before we set off and because it was so warm the roads dried quickly. I had an A and B road wiggly route planned but because of the high winds I decided to take the A1, A46 went into Melton Mowbray for a coffee and then took the legendary B6047 to Market Harborough, it’s not quite as legendary with 45 mph gusts of wind. But all in all it was a good trip.

We were up with the lark on Sunday for our dash for the tunnel. It was throwing it down with rain for the first two hours. Once we got across the Dartford crossing it brightened up and the sun popped its head out for a while. Our train was delayed a bit which made us a bit late and with a road closure on my non motorway route the other side of the channel I decided to cut my losses and take the motorway to Le Touquet. The Red Fox hotel can be highly recommended, clean tidy and right in the middle of town amongst everything,

A warm night in October in Le Touquet

Another Le Touquet attraction with the obligatory carousel in the background

Monday saw us off to Reims a warm sunny dry day unfolded. Temperatures got up to 27 degrees C
A pleasant journey got us to Reims at about 4 O’clock when we visited Musée de la Reddition where the German surrender was signed.
After a hectic day we relaxed with a couple of glasses of Bofferding (I had never heard of it either)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:17 pm »
Nice one...and don't leave us in the dark for so long again  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 09:00:01 am »
I found Schindlers lift  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 05:34:53 pm »
And tonights beer is .....

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:01 pm »
I have been a bit derelict in my reporting duties, so here is a catch up.
The trip started on Saturday, the rain stopped just before we set off and because it was so warm the roads dried quickly. I had an A and B road wiggly route planned but because of the high winds I decided to take the A1, A46 went into Melton Mowbray for a coffee and then took the legendary B6047 to Market Harborough, it’s not quite as legendary with 45 mph gusts of wind. But all in all it was a good trip.

We were up with the lark on Sunday for our dash for the tunnel. It was throwing it down with rain for the first two hours. Once we got across the Dartford crossing it brightened up and the sun popped its head out for a while. Our train was delayed a bit which made us a bit late and with a road closure on my non motorway route the other side of the channel I decided to cut my losses and take the motorway to Le Touquet. The Red Fox hotel can be highly recommended, clean tidy and right in the middle of town amongst everything,

A warm night in October in Le Touquet

Another Le Touquet attraction with the obligatory carousel in the background

Monday saw us off to Reims a warm sunny dry day unfolded. Temperatures got up to 27 degrees C
A pleasant journey got us to Reims at about 4 O’clock when we visited Musée de la Reddition where the German surrender was signed.
After a hectic day we relaxed with a couple of glasses of Bofferding (I had never heard of it either)

Bofferding... brew of the Gods ! brewed in Luxembourg and not often seen far from its borders  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:36 pm »
Todays journey from Reims to Dinant was a very pleasant one. Temperatures started at about 12 / 13 quickly rising to 23/ 25 along winding forest roads in the sunshine. We got to Dinant at about 2 O'clock and after a quick shower and change of clothes we were off to explore the town. On our travels we came across this biker bar only sbout 400 yards from our hotel.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »
A great find , drinks and riding not involved.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
I forgot to mention an amusing thing that happened in Reims last night. We were in a bar (no surprise there) where a group of French men were celebrating (don't know what) when one of them burst into song....... Gerryyyyyyy, Gerry Crockett, now I'm not sure if the French have a hero called Gerry Crockett or if it was the effects of the Bofferding.  :o