Author Topic: Is Gore-Tex a rip off?  (Read 525 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Is Gore-Tex a rip off?
« on: November 02, 2023, 12:33:01 pm »
An interesting video from Ryan @ Fortnine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEzJJYiROk&ab_channel=FortNine

What do you think?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Is Gore-Tex a rip off?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 03:30:16 pm »
Good spot, Rae.

It makes sense - it's like going back to school biology and doing semi-permeable membranes(!):
- moisture will only pass from the high concentration to the lower concentration

However, buying something with Gore-Tex is a bit like buying a BMW Yamaha: you can be reasonably sure of getting a quality product. You can also be sure of paying extra. That bit is like BMW.

I only have two items of Gore-Tex: motorbike boots and a coat:
The boots don't get particularly sweaty in the dry or wet (Alpinestars ones). Tick.
The coat - not so convincing, since you tend to just waft moisture out of vents, neck, etc. But it is definitely waterproof.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 03:55:27 pm »
The Gore-Tex brand is backed up by the lifetime guarantee which I suppose makes it worth the extra. In one of the Motolegends videos he mentions a customers jacket started to leak but was out of the manufacturers warranty but Gore-Tex stepped up to the plate and refunded the chap about 60% of the cost of the jacket.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 05:39:27 pm »
I challenge Gore-Tex to clothe me in virtually anything with their membrane inside it and I will show them that it does not work for people who sweat. It might work for those who perspire and it certainly works for those who merely glow. Every single thing I own with any one-way membrane in it simply drowns me in my own sweat and therefore makes me cold.

The only way to keep warm is to stay cool.

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 01:55:54 pm »
Undoubtedly, there are better and more breathable membranes, such as eVent. However, few have better marketing than Gore-Tex.

I wonder if things will change in motorcycling now other sectors (mountaineering, cycling, etc.) have cottoned onto more breathable waterproofs than Gore-Tex.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 03:32:42 pm »
But do the other brands offer a lifetime guarantee?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 07:44:24 am »
...where you now have to send your Gore Tex back to, well, er, Gore Tex for warranty work rather than to the local retailer! Not exactly convenient.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 09:15:38 am »
According to Chris at Motolegends a customer had a Rukka jacket that was out of the Rukka warranty and had started to leak Rukka said sorry can't help, Gore gave him £600 towards a new jacket.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 09:17:24 am »
... but still more than any other manufacturer offers and is in addition to your statutory rights through the retailer. (Which are generally a lot more than most people are aware of.)

I've had a number of other "tex" products and none have been as good as Gore-Tex. (None are as expensive either!) For me, Gore-Tex works, and that's the important piece.

The thing that frustrated my with the Fortnine video was the bit around sweating. Gore-Tex moves moisture vapour from the warm side to the cold side so the "outside" needs to be colder than the inside. If it's warm outside then it can't do it's job. Likewise, if it's humid then there is nowhere for moisture to evaporate to. Try wearing a cotton shirt (cotton being extremely breathable) on a warm humid day and see how well it manages to stop you getting sweaty. His apparent expectations were, at best, unrealistic.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 01:29:27 pm »
While I don’t believe a word Chris at Motolegends says, I know Gore-Tex’s guarantee is meaningful and likely industry-leading.

However, I’ve got eVent waterproofs for the mountains. Compared to Gore-Tex Pro, eVent is noticeably more breathable and comfortable. I wouldn’t go back to Gore-Tex unless they have a breathability breakthrough with new tech.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:31:29 pm by Motorradpilot »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 02:51:05 pm »
Do eVent produce motorcycle gear?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 11:44:26 pm »
I get wet from sweat know matter whose gear I wear. I sweat in the night and sleep with towels on top of my very expensive linen sheets. Gore Tex doesn't work for those of who sweat heavily no matter what the weather or climate. The secret to keeping warm is staying cool.

I wear almost nothing but Gore Tex because all the alternatives are less effective. My BMW Savannah Gore Tex suit liner is about 20 years old and is still waterproof and keeps me somewhat sweat-wet free.

Value for money is/was (when I bought it) beyond comparison.