Author Topic: Interview with Brian Sansom (the original BKS)  (Read 2458 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Interview with Brian Sansom (the original BKS)
« on: June 03, 2022, 11:31:35 am »
Make yourself a cup of tea and settle in it's well worth a watch and may even be enlightening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lg0x9XBItc

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Interview with Brian Sansom (the original BKS)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 12:17:02 pm »
If that's not Brian's (phmode) younger brother I'm a teapot.

[EDIT: execellent video though. Well spotted, Rae.]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:33:51 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 07:20:37 pm »
Both Melanie and I agree with you Rich so you're not a teapot.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 12:49:39 am »
He has way too much hair to be my younger brother who went to the barbers the day before his wedding and had what little he had left shorn off completely. We don't have a record of the look on the face of the bride-to-be, but the wedding went ahead as scheduled. Most of her side thought she was marrying someone else and most of his side wondered where he had gone...

It just shows how cheap leather is if it would still cost a couple of grand to make a suit out of paper.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 08:25:42 am »
Damn it. Now I've got something to get myself for my birthday.

I'd missed the development of hip airbags, but that sounds great given the lack of natural padding on my hips! It's also interesting to see they've started textiles. One could easily end up spending on both!

I hope their website is suitably fancy for an idiot like me to further get on board with the necessary and optional spending points.

On a wider/cliche note, I wonder how this compares to that previously mentioned RST made to measure that was saw on 44teeth. Other than scale and RST going for entry level stuff, is it just the safety aspect that BKS Made to Measure go to the safest of safe?

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 09:05:37 am »
I think it's the quality that stands BKS out from the rest. I have a made to measure suit I purchased in 1996, Other than some of the zips showing their age, and already having replaced the main front and waist zips, the suit is still going strong. Despite having done 20+ years before being retired as my suit (it shrank around the middle and bum!!!), it's now been handed on to my son who is using it on a regular basis. It's still in good enough condition that I suspect we'll pay to get it modified to fit him slightly better at some point in the near future.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 09:46:07 am »
That is mighty impressive!

It was amusing in the video when he mentioned the alteration for the expanding man :D.

I did enjoy also the discussion on the Frank Thomas affair. I'd never been too well versed in it, other than when Rae occasionally mentions there is the 'real' BKS and the mass produced lot. Now I understand it, and it's good to see that Brian there hasn't followed the rut of 'must always be expanding'. I suppose it's quite telling that looking on Companies House we can see that the sole director and owner is Brian, and so there's been no dilution or VC stuff going on (other than his wife who had 30% at one stage until 2012).

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 01:35:22 pm »
The small bespoke leather tailors seem to be almost one-man bands - one person to measure and cut, and 2-3 machinsts to make up the suits.

My favourite at the moment - in terms of cost v quality - is Hideout. However, I've never bought anything off them (yet), and I need to lose another stone before I commit to being measured.

Re: RST, I was under the impression they were bespoke race suits rather than two-piece/touring, but I could be wrong.

Other bespoke options (and I'm sure there are others, so do join in):
Scott Leathers
Dainese - ooo

More race-oriented, but worth asking:
DRC
45R
AM Leathers
NRG if you're in Northern Ireland
ARN
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:37:03 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 05:31:35 pm »
Ah thanks Rich. Who are your current leathers made by?

Good point re BKS being more general usage oriented.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 09:01:45 pm »
I'll have to start saving my pennies and go for one of the textile suits  :winkthumbs:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 09:12:35 pm »
Crowtree, who were a man and wife team - Alec & Linda Baumber, but he died of cancer in 2014.
I'm not sure they ever advertised - they just had Crowtree on so many good race leathers you couldn't go wrong.

I'd love to find the equivalent - AM & ARN in the list above look similar sort of places.

My other option is to have the Crowtree suit freshened up - new lighter armour, some re-stitching of the eleasticated areas, etc.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 07:27:15 pm »
I watched the interview its a real eye opener.
Bennets has an excellent article ( titled: Motorcycle clothing : The CE approval law explained), fount it very detailed and informati0. I believe first wach the interview then read the article . Afterwarsds a clear idea is formed.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 06:41:23 pm »
I think it's the quality that stands BKS out from the rest.

While I agree, I own Hideout leathers and put them in the same league. (I’ve tried BKS for comparison.) There are differences, but I reckon both are the top-level – it’s like comparing Ferrari and Lamborghini.

However, their textiles vary more than their leathers. I found it worth the (in my case, lengthy) trips to compare the new BKS 100SX suit with the well-established Hideout Hi-Pro range. They’re very different.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 07:01:06 pm »
I think it's the quality that stands BKS out from the rest.

While I agree, I own Hideout leathers and put them in the same league. (I’ve tried BKS for comparison.) There are differences, but I reckon both are the top-level – it’s like comparing Ferrari and Lamborghini.

However, their textiles vary more than their leathers. I found it worth the (in my case, lengthy) trips to compare the new BKS 100SX suit with the well-established Hideout Hi-Pro range. They’re very different.

I agree that Hideout and BKS Leathers are pretty close. As the owner of my 2nd BKS suit I'd say they're slightly better! :D

I plan to look at the textiles in a year or two so will look at both.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Motorradpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2023, 06:46:21 pm »
I watched the interview its a real eye opener.
Bennets has an excellent article ( titled: Motorcycle clothing : The CE approval law explained), fount it very detailed and informati0. I believe first wach the interview then read the article . Afterwarsds a clear idea is formed.

Bennetts has a new and excellent video, launching significantly safer standards for motorcycle clothing:

https://youtu.be/5QcWajVTfB4

Brilliant!