Author Topic: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic  (Read 6565 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic
« on: December 21, 2021, 05:47:34 pm »
I'm not really getting on with my GT Air 2, so considering these two. Anyone tried either yet? Probably just as bad as asking about tyres of oil, but maybe someone has a good reason not to get either of these other than fit.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 06:36:38 pm »
Bruno (Glen) has a Quantic, which he rated very highly last time we met in October.
Hopefully he'll be a long to give us an update.

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 09:06:10 am »
Not sure about this but I believe Arai don't have a single drop down integrated sun visor system in their range, Schuberth helmets obviously do. If that's important to you then that could also be a factor in your decision. You may not want to stop and swap visors or wear sun glasses under your helmet.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 09:21:54 am »
Also they are two completely different types of helmet one being a flip front. Arai don't do sun visors or flip fronts.
The C5 is not readily available just yet, there is some stock coming through but still a bit scarce.

I would sit back and wait for Shoei to respond to the new standard.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:24:44 am by raesewell »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 09:53:14 am »
Not sure about this but I believe Arai don't have a single drop down integrated sun visor system in their range, Schuberth helmets obviously do. If that's important to you then that could also be a factor in your decision. You may not want to stop and swap visors or wear sun glasses under your helmet.

Arai don't do integrated sun visors because it's compromises safety - in terms of physical design.
However, not being able to see is also pretty high up on the risk scale.  8) literally

I would think a light-sensitive visor is a good compromise on safety, if you can get one for a Quantic:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/59472

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 10:37:34 am »
I haven't worn a fixed front helmet since the mid 80's (silly minor claustrophobia syndrome) and have had Schuberths with sun visors for almost two decades.

In all that time I reckon I have used the drop down sun visor about a dozen times. I do wear photochromic specs (much less tinted this year than in the past) which makes a big difference, but still for some irrational reason I wouldn't want a helmet without the sun visor.

To me, much more important than the sun visor is a sun blocking strip across the top of the outer visor, like the sun-blocking visors on cars as opposed to the now standard tinted strip across the top of car windscreens, which equates to the drop down visor in my helmet.

All my helmets have either a fancy patterned strip off fleabay on the top of the visor or a strip of electrical tape in an emergency. The ability to totally block low winter sun or more often setting summer sun is vital for me. And then of course, riding into a low sun on wet roads means you need a glare-blocking strip along the bottom of the visor, it's never ending...  8)

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 11:56:54 am »
I'm not really getting on with my GT Air 2, so considering these two. Anyone tried either yet? Probably just as bad as asking about tyres of oil, but maybe someone has a good reason not to get either of these other than fit.

Andy - I am very happy with the Quantic.  It fits my head shape well, is reasonably quiet, and has the usual ARAI build quality.   I do however, miss the drop down visor from my previous lid, and will be buying either a light sensitive or dark visor when they are available.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 09:05:43 am »

I have never tried a light-sensitive visor and although it sound like a great solution how quickly do they react to light changes? I can imagine entering and leaving tunnels in bright sunlight might be an issue.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 09:39:29 am »
I wouldn't restrict myself to a choice of two lids, as good as those two are, have a look at several and cross reference them to their SHARP ratings if you find a comfortable one.

I'd recommend at least a look at a Bell Race Star Flex DLX, for me it's the best I've ever had in terms of comfort, features , quietness, ventilation,  build quality, design / looks .... and that photo reactive visor.  Oh, and it's a Bell.

On the visor, the darkening / lightening doesn't react quickly enough for the first 100yds of a tunnel, but after that fine, you need to be aware of it that's all. The massive advantages of a legal dark visor that'll get you home safely after the pub at night is enormous.
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 11:25:53 am »
I wouldn't restrict myself to a choice of two lids, as good as those two are, have a look at several and cross reference them to their SHARP ratings if you find a comfortable one.

I'd recommend at least a look at a Bell Race Star Flex DLX, for me it's the best I've ever had in terms of comfort, features , quietness, ventilation,  build quality, design / looks .... and that photo reactive visor.  Oh, and it's a Bell.

On the visor, the darkening / lightening doesn't react quickly enough for the first 100yds of a tunnel, but after that fine, you need to be aware of it that's all. The massive advantages of a legal dark visor that'll get you home safely after the pub at night is enormous.

Does the Bell meet the new standard?
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 11:39:37 am »
The only two helmets on the market at the moment that meet the new standard are the Quantic and the C5. I'm sure the other manufacturers are working away frantically.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 01:41:36 pm »
The only two helmets on the market at the moment that meet the new standard are the Quantic and the C5. I'm sure the other manufacturers are working away frantically.

There are more than two announced, but not necessarily available immediately:
https://bikerrated.com/gear/helmets/ece-22-06-helmet-guide/

Shoei has the NXR2, for example, at a sensible price:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/536419#/23681,2923,1083

Worth waiting a month or two before purchasing, I'd say, if you're after a ECE 22.06-compliant one.

The other top-end helmet standard worth noting is the FIM one:
http://www.frhp.org/circuit-helmets/homologated-helmets

As far as I understand the FIM is more stringent, but with limitations on design (no modular helmets, no sun visors, metal D rings only, etc).
Those limitations are for a reason on the track, but in the real world the comfort over many hours also matters a lot, i.e. helmets passing the FIM homologation may not be ideal for touring.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 12:35:07 pm »
Excellent advice from you all as usual. Thanks everyone.

I was possibly too distracted by the bells and whistles on the GT Air 2. The sunshade and the integrated comms are great but, like Brian, I rarely use the sunshade. I generally don't have a need to talk to people while I'm riding, so probably won't miss the comms either. I did try a few Bells before I got the Shoei, but decided they're not for me.

So, I ordered a Quantic yesterday and it was delivered this morning. In the end I think it's actually the D rings that make all the difference.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 01:46:29 pm »
In the end I think it's actually the D rings that make all the difference.
To what? (Quality? Comfort?)

Oh, and do tell us how you get on with it! Ta.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 02:46:27 pm »
The D rings would have pushed me towards the C5.