Author Topic: Indicators  (Read 3959 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Indicators
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:05:33 pm »
Have any of you changed from the old style to the smaller BM LED that is currently standard fitment.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Indicators
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:03:14 pm »
if you go for the BMW ones you 'll have no issues just plug and play.
But if you try something like the LED from the RIZOMA catalog, witch probably has the best, biggest and nicest collection but you'll need a resistor for installation.
I've got RIZOMA ones, installed May2010 they look great never had an issue after installation.
HORNIG has the panels turn to LED instead of the Bulb ones for 85 euros.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »
That's was going to be the next question are they plug and play  ;)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:22 am »
For a plug and play indicators or any other LED these rules apply.
K bikes have a ZFE programmed to monitor normal lamps, and when the lamp's current draw drops below a threshold of about 60% of the lamp's normal current draw, the ZFE assumes it is burned out and you get a lamp alarm.

LEDs use much less current than any normal filament lamps, and so it is clear that the normal operating current of an LED lamp is significantly less than the above "60% threshold", therefore the ZFE interprets this as a burned out lamp, and you get a lamp alarm.

The ZFE CANNOT be field reprogrammed to a lower threshold, avoid any dealer that supports this strange ideas. The only way to fix the problem is to add a high wattage dummy resistor in parallel to the LED in order to increase current draw to something close to that which a normal lamp draws.

Now GIVI, SW-Motech and some others already installed the dummy resistor to the inside of the LED lights but there many more others that haven't. In any case all serious manufactures are or should indicate if their products are canbus compatible.

Did you look on the RIZOMA cataloque? I'm using ZERO type although the new ZERO11 looks even better.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:06:03 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:13:59 am »
I'm happy with BM version they turn up on UK ebay at the right money just wondered if they had a resistor in them.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:20:30 am »
There is a resistor integrated inside the LED circuit.
Still there might be a need for a PC upgrade for the ZFE unit to read them.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 11:44:37 am »
I've a friend who had them on his K sport but he didn't fit them so there's only one way to find out :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:58:24 am »
Sounds like a plan; we await a full report, Chris.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »
Might be a wait there were plenty on ebay last year and zilch this.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »
I like to be different and keep the original ones     
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andy

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:41:39 pm »
I've a friend who had them on his K sport but he didn't fit them so there's only one way to find out :)
Will be interested to see the outcome of this too.  :)