Author Topic: Trackers ... and where to put them  (Read 667 times)

Offline Jcdenton999

• Newbie around here, just bought my K
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S (Akra, ESA, ABS)
Trackers ... and where to put them
« on: March 31, 2023, 10:20:20 am »
Bit of a sensitive topic here but if you live in or around a big city trackers are a must.
On my K1300S I had a Scorpion Datatool tracker and it fitted nicely behind the battery and in front of the tank. Change the standard screw to protected one and it was a decent place to put it. However on my K1300R that space is about half the size for some reason ( maybe a bigger battery maybe the bikes are a bit different) so I am not sure where to place said tracker. In a previous bike I had it in the air box for example but haven't looked at the K's yet.

Anybody got a tracker ( battery connected) and could share where they located it? Conscious you might not want to broadcast it so feel free to PM directly if it's better.

Thank you

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Trackers ... and where to put them
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 01:04:24 pm »
<Insert Admiral Ackbar gif>

I don't have a K anymore and forget where there's space but here's one fun suggestion to think about:

Smart Tags. You can choose from Samsung ecosystem, Apple ecosystem, or Tile lot. At least the first two I find simple guides to disable the on board "hi thieves here I am take me out and stamp on me" speaker.

Maybe get one of each and hide them in different spots. They're so small it's easy. Battery life ranges from 6 to 12 months.

Discuss :p
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 01:20:49 pm »
The rear side pods are fiddly to get into and have plenty of space for things like that. Take a peek.

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 01:23:26 pm »

I don't have a K anymore and forget where there's space but here's one fun suggestion to think about:

Smart Tags. You can choose from Samsung ecosystem, Apple ecosystem, or Tile lot. At least the first two I find simple guides to disable the on board "hi thieves here I am take me out and stamp on me" speaker.

Maybe get one of each and hide them in different spots. They're so small it's easy. Battery life ranges from 6 to 12 months.

I have that on my bicycle but for a motorbike not sure it's quite enough, I will put one as backup but the RF is a good thing when you bike has been stored in a council estate's garage  somewhere

Offline nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 01:49:42 pm »
Just bought some AirTags (Apple) and will put one behind the battery compartment. Had to buy a case for the AirTag so it would be able to stick, or I guess two sided tape would do.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 06:15:48 pm »

I have that on my bicycle but for a motorbike not sure it's quite enough, I will put one as backup but the RF is a good thing when you bike has been stored in a council estate's garage  somewhere

Yeah I agree, I'm thinking it's a layered approach thing. A relatively cheap way to add a 2nd line after they rip out the tracker with a sim card... Whilst ideally carrying their stolen Samsung or iPhone! The SmartTag+ I just bought, alongside my relatively recent S20-something, allows for pinpoint location using the camera when you get close. Something about ultra wide band something, or something else.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 11:50:20 am »
I intend to fit a BikeTrac or similar monitored tracker but for now I’ve stuck an Apple AirTag in a holder designed to go under a water bottle carrier on a pushbike!

It is fully enclosed so no bright white/chrome surface to give the game away and comes with tamperproof Torx screws to make it more difficult to remove.

The Tag holder came from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0B28W1D3C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title and is so discrete you could be staring right at it and not know what it was.

Small and easy enough to hide bolted to part of the frame hidden under bodywork so as not to obstruct the signal and make it even more difficult to access IMHO.

Hope that helps?

-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 01:58:09 pm by GlynH »

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 04:21:04 pm »
I intend to fit a BikeTrac or similar monitored tracker but for now I’ve stuck an Apple AirTag in a holder designed to go under a water bottle carrier on a pushbike!

It is fully enclosed so no bright white/chrome surface to give the game away and comes with tamperproof Torx screws to make it more difficult to remove.

The Tag holder came from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0B28W1D3C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title and is so discrete you could be staring right at it and not know what it was.

Small and easy enough to hide bolted to part of the frame hidden under bodywork so as not to obstruct the signal and make it even more difficult to access IMHO.

Hope that helps?

-=Glyn=-

Got almost the same on my bicycle, looks better than gafotaping the tracker to the inside of the panel like I was thinking  :P