Author Topic: Sad but ironic Karma  (Read 10506 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Sad but ironic Karma
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:22:53 am »
American guy dies from head injuries while protesting helmet laws.
http://bloomsmag.com/york-rider-dies-protesting-motorcycle-helmet-law/

What can you say  ::) and I am one of the few here that remember riding legally without a helmet but seldom did.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
Re: Sad but ironic Karma
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:38:44 am »
Yes - sad indeed.

While I oppose making anything compulsory (or banned), I would seriously struggle to ride nowadays without a crash helmet. I do it occasionally just moving the bike around in carparks etc, but it doesn't feel right. But then again, and not wishing to start an argument here, I am not into ATGATT. I am happy to go and get a newspaper on a sunny Sunday morning in jeans, T-shirt and trainers - but I would have to wear a helmet. Strange what different people think is OK.

This poor guy obviously thought he was right as well.  :'(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:55:09 pm »
I sure remember being 'able' to ride without a helmet but my dad would have knocked my $10 head off if I ever had.

Minimum for me is helmet, gloves and boots. I've seen cyclists in A&E with terrible, skin-crawling damage to their hands after an off. Makes me shudder! As does the thought of being seen in only the minimum... ::)

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:15 pm »
Madness, I even feel worried without a back protector and proper boots never mind a helmet. Bit like driving the car without a seatbelt it simply feels wrong.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
...and, apart from all of that, how the chuck would you ride a K without a helmet? Apart from very slowly. You'd either lose your eyelids, your eyeballs or your whole face, depending on the warp factor.

The guy in New York was piddling around on a Harley by all accounts so not exactly going ballistic. From the seat of a moving bike, the tarmac is even harder than it is if you fall off the kerb and that hurt enough the last time I did it.

Still, it sorts out the gene pool...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:04:30 pm »

Still, it sorts out the gene pool...

LOL ! Nice one   ;D
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:54:00 pm »
Extract from web page:

> “Mandatory helmet laws do nothing to prevent accidents,” it says on the ABATE of New York website.

It's true. But it's nothing to do with the problem. Here's my rewording:
“Mandatory helmet laws do prevent deaths”

It's not rocket science.

However, I'm dead (sic) against cycle helmets. But that's for another thread, in a parallel world - EuroBicycleClub...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »
I think anyone to whom the Highway Code refers should be FORCED (by FORCE) to wear a safety helmet...drivers, riders, passengers, pillions, pedestrians, horse riders, horses, dog walkers, dogs, cats, snakes, beetles, Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Honeycombs, Honey Lantree etc. etc. .... ::)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:27:27 am »
I’m with the chap in the states, despite the obvious increase in risk and despite the fact I’d still wear a helmet for 90%+ of all journeys.

Any situation where the state or any other group forces compliance “for your own protection” should be resisted. The ONLY person who can judge my acceptable level of risk is me and if I choose to undertake an activity without the maximum level of safety equipment then that should be my choice.

The thinking that supports enforced compliance is the thinking that will gradually attempt to remove all risk by the ever increasing imposition of safety rules until the past time itself is banned. Motorcycles are dangerous. Banning them would be a great safety move.

Life is for living and includes risk. 100% of people alive today will die. While no one wants to rush that eventuality, most arriving at the end regret the things they’ve not done rather than the risks they’ve taken.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 07:39:14 am »
Please don't forget that when brains are splattered all over the tarmac some poor sod has to clean up the bloody mess.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:13 am »
I think that applies to most body parts, not just brains. So why not ban motorcycling?

While we're at it we could also protect people from themselves by banning:

Sky diving;
Rock climbing;
Hang gliding;
In fact, all extreme sports.
Private pilots;
Motorsport;
Boxing;
Rugby; (more rugby players suffer life changing injuries than boxers!)
Skying;

The list goes on.

In fact, we could ban living and ensure only existing is allowed!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:41:55 am »
I think that applies to most body parts, not just brains. So why not ban motorcycling?

Sky diving;
Rock climbing;
Hang gliding;
Private pilots;
Motorsport;
Boxing;
Skying;

The list goes on.

I don't engage in any of those other activities and I make sure I am togged up when I go out on the bike.
You did rather take it to extremes there David.
I'm all in favour of freedom but common sense must prevail.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 09:08:47 am »

Sky diving;
Rock climbing;
Hang gliding;
Private pilots;
Motorsport;
Boxing;
Skying;

The list goes on.

I don't engage in any of those other activities and I make sure I am togged up when I go out on the bike.
You did rather take it to extremes there David.
I'm all in favour of freedom but common sense must prevail.

I don't engage in most of those activities either but "protecting people from themselves" has never stopped those inexperienced and unqualified in a past time from "dictating what is best"! (Barbara Castle and the 70mph limit!!!!!)

But, and this is the age old problem, who defines common sense? Your common sense is my restriction of freedom, and, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one person in this whole world who knows what is best for me. And that's me!

Having free choice includes allowances for making decisions many others would not have made. If the only "at risk" party is the person making the choice then I really don't see that as wrong.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:41 am »
David, you forgot horse riding, apparently has the highest rate of head injuries.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:20:50 am »
David, you forgot horse riding, apparently has the highest rate of head injuries.

Ban it immediately! The only solution! :)