Author Topic: BMW's Navigator Mount or other options on K1300s?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline markrich

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
BMW's Navigator Mount or other options on K1300s?
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:49:48 am »
With the current deals on the Navigator V and VI, the difference between them and the Garmin options has shrunk a lot, so I'm considering getting one shortly.

However, mounting it on the bike is doing my head in with options.  With nowhere to bolt something on the handlebars, I have considered BMW's option on the battery cover and spent a while looking at other options, but there are so few out there.

Does anyone have any experience with the official BMW option?  I haven't seen any photos of real-world use with one of these.

Does anyone have any best other options which are non-destructive to the bike?  I don't really fancy making holes anywhere to fit one.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: BMW's Navigator Mount or other options on K1300s?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 11:18:15 am »
Lots in here if you do a search.

The battery cover option is rubbish if you wanna see the screen, too low and out of the line of sight and don't even think of a tankbag...

Plenty of bar options. Hornig do the gizmo that goes in the inner end of the bar, either side and works brilliantly.

They and others also do an option to mount it in place of the badge in the centre of the bars. Bit low for my liking again.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:17:05 pm »

However, mounting it on the bike is doing my head in with options.  With nowhere to bolt something on the handlebars, I have considered BMW's option on the battery cover and spent a while looking at other options, but there are so few out there.

Does anyone have any best other options which are non-destructive to the bike?  I don't really fancy making holes anywhere to fit one.

<salesman mode>
What you need is my RAM mount thingummie.  ;D
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3062.0

It mounts where the BMW badge is, in the middle of the fork yoke. Pop the badge out, screw the RAM mount in.

I have a Garmin clamp that fits the RAM mount too:
http://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3063.0

</salesman mode>

(But no wiring is for sale from me. I can't be arsed to remove the Garmin wiring that goes with it. It seems to go under tank and fairing somewhere...)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:29:13 pm »
So, half-a-mount salesman then  8)

A couple of screws each side of the tank panels, pull em backward one at a time and Bob will be along shortly to complain as usual.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 04:11:37 pm »
Isn't it top fairing off as well as tank?

I can see the little Garmin box - it's stuck to the frame on the right side:

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:35:23 pm »
Ooh! More to your set up than a normal Garmin one. None of my Garmins have ever had a separate box like that, just a mount with cable that goes to special connector in front of battery mount or direct to battery in my case.

It still might be worth pulling the right side tank panel off to see what is where. I can't imagine anyone took the tank or airbox out to fit that box so I imagine the cables simply pull through once you get them disconnected from wherever.

Go on, you know you want to...

gibbo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 06:22:34 am »
I've always been impressed with Telferizer and have used them on a couple of occasions. Just google it and ask for Bob.  ;)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:22:46 pm »
I use a Tom Tom on the battery cover mount. A quick glance for next junction distance and direction works fine for me.

Offline markrich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:51:39 am »
I use a Tom Tom on the battery cover mount. A quick glance for next junction distance and direction works fine for me.
Any chance of a photo link to show how it looks?

Offline markrich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22:20 am »
I decided, after much consideration, to go with the official BMW mount.
I bought the Navigator VI, cradle, mount and an hour of labour to fit to the bike for me in a couple of weeks.If I don't get on with it, replacement battery covers aren't over expensive and I can change later.I'm looking forward to getting it.  Now where should I go to test it.....? :-)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 08:34:38 am »
You could meet up with us on the Wrinklies trip to test it  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:43 am »
At the price BM charge, I would have wanted it fitted there and then. For free!

I mean, four holes and one push in connector  :o

Still, i'm sure you'll love it and if you decide to come out to play on the Wrinklies last day we'll all love it too  ;D

PS Ah! Speed reading again...not being fitted for a couple of weeks. You should have taken a ride up to Ledbury and I would have fitted it for free. And my coffee is better than their's  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:33:50 am by Phmode »

Offline markrich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 01:55:19 pm »

I asked BMW to fit it for three reasons,

If they cock it up it's their fault and their cost.  Their work is, to a degree, warrantied.
They didn't have the unit in stock on the day
I couldn't be arsed.  Anything more complex than a screwdriver and I'm lost.  I admit to being very uncomfortable around machinery beyond a certain level.  :-)

At the price BM charge, I would have wanted it fitted there and then. For free!

I mean, four holes and one push in connector  :o

Still, i'm sure you'll love it and if you decide to come out to play on the Wrinklies last day we'll all love it too  ;D

PS Ah! Speed reading again...not being fitted for a couple of weeks. You should have taken a ride up to Ledbury and I would have fitted it for free. And my coffee is better than their's  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 06:54:51 pm »
Well, you could punch the holes in the battery cover with a screwdriver and Bob's your wotsit  ;D

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 06:50:59 am »
Well, you could punch the holes in the battery cover with a screwdriver and Bob's your wotsit  ;D
Am I  ???
 ;D