Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29081 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 03:30:52 pm »
Thanks Rich
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 06:41:09 pm »
Wow, that looks nice!

Some of the angles make that screen look a bit 'long', but i guess that's inevitable!

Can't wait to try one!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

howlindawg

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 07:35:06 pm »
Probably the only bike on the market that would tempt me to replace the K13 at the moment.
It's lovely in that colour and the superchargers sound amazing.

Would be very interested to hear your opinion on the headlights after your first night spin.

Needs a topbox to really set off the styling ;)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 05:22:32 pm »
Nice bike. I tested one last year and did wring its neck here and there. Yes it is very very quick. I know what you mean that it feels lighter, but I preferred the heavier more sturdy feel of the K when I got back on it, although would probably get used to the H2 soon enough. It might even have been the grip puppies I missed.
I'm not planning to change any time soon, but if I did, could well be one of these. Or maybe I'm getting old enough for a Harley ;D.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 08:07:01 pm »
If I keep up only going to the office like 3 times a week then maybe the service interval isn't as painful as I think!

Justify justify justify!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
Never realised that service cost pain was less if incurred on infrequent journeys  ::)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 03:06:22 pm »
I had the first proper ride on the H2 SX SE today, as in, the first ride just for the fun of it, rather than the test ride or getting it back from the dealers.

In Summary – what an incredible, brilliant, phenomenal, superb, amazing engine! The K1300S engine was always good, with power to spare, everywhere and with more torque than a WI meeting, but, the H2 SX engine knocks it into a cocked hat! And I’m still running it in and keeping it below about 7000rpm! It is near electric motor smooth with electric motor torque wherever you are, whatever speed you’re doing, but still with the excitement, pomp and circumstance that goes with an internal combustion engine.

The gearbox is quiet, slick and light. Something no BMW gearbox I’ve owned for the last 30+ years could be accused of. That said, the quick shifter on the H2 SX is not as sweet as on the K1300S on the up changes except under reasonably brisk acceleration. However, the H2 SX also has a downshifter that works really well.

A perfect match for that breath-taking engine!

The handling is crisp and light and the loss of 100mm of wheelbase is noticeable into and through the corners. The H2 SX feels stable and planted up to 90mph (as fast as I’ve gone) but flicks much more easily from side to side than the K1300S did. The “real time” lean angle gauge on the dash is excellent entertainment although tends not to get noticed mid serious corner. :D (41 degrees on the left and 36 degrees on the right being my current high scores!)

And, in case I haven’t mentioned it, the engine is just monstrous!!!

However, as you would expect, it’s not all good news. The brakes are excellent in general use but only good when used in earnest. I always thought the K1300S had the best brakes of any motorcycle and the H2 SX won’t be taking that crown. Add in the expected dive from tele forks (which I will get used to again, eventually) and the overall brakes experience is not as good as I’ve grown used to.

However, the engine is nothing less than stupendous!!!!

Finally, the comfort. Those who feel the K1300S needs Helibars or any other form of bar raising will likely not like the H2 SX. It’s definitely more “sporty” although there is much less of a “stretch” to the bars. The seat to peg range feels slightly better than the K1300S (normal seat) and there is still plenty of space to move around. It really suits me out of town but may be a little less suitable in town. We’ll see when I do some more town riding.

The last thing to mention is the seat itself. The jury is definitely still out on this one. I did a number of 12+ hour, 600+ mile days on my K1300Ss and the seat never gave me any suggestion of being anything but comfortable. While not uncomfortable in any way on my 90 minute ride. It also didn’t feel entirely comfortable. It didn’t help that my leathers were sliding a bit on the seat, something that didn’t happen on the BMW seats. We’ll see over time but I may be digging my Airhawk out from the back of the cupboard where it’s been for a good while.

Did I mention that the engine was simply fantastic? :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 03:16:32 pm »
Good to hear that you have made the right choice Dave.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:54:59 pm by richtea »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »
Never realised that service cost pain was less if incurred on infrequent journeys  ::)

Fnerr fnerr Brian!

Dave, sounding great. Agility and less stretch to the bars standing out to my mind as nice!

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
"In Summary – what an incredible, brilliant, phenomenal, superb, amazing engine!"

I take it that its a keeper then?

Profile update time  :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 10:49:19 am »
Nice review David but I was surprised that you never mentioned the engine, you being a petrol head and all that; was it not that noticeable?

As far as the bars are concerned, I've never needed taller bars on the K, rather closer bars (I have a short back) and would have the Helibars right back if the construction allowed.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 10:32:06 am »
So, I’m now over 400 miles into ownership and the bike is ready for its first into London commute on Monday followed by its 600 mile oil change and once over on Tuesday. The first thing I can report is that the engine is simply superb. (Did I mention that in my previous post? :D  ) I had an opportunity yesterday to properly try out some of its abilities and it happily pulled 20mph in top gear for a tenth of a mile, then pulled away cleanly to 80mph (my self-imposed top speed at this stage of running in.) No fuss, no “judders” and no suggestion of being laboured. Just clean, smooth pull. With a red line of 12,000 rpm and a (limited) top speed of around 185mph, that gives a top gear usable speed rang of 165mph! As a note, and as with all my bikes, I’m running it on Tesco Momentum 99 RON. This may help with the smooth slow running.

The handling continues to impress as being light and “flickable” (despite it being a relatively heavy bike) yet stable and predictable. I have some BST Carbon wheels I’ll be fitting in late May (at tyre change time) and I’m keen to see what difference they make.

I never had an issue with the handling on my K1300Ss and was happy riding them to the limits of the tyres (conditions allowing) but I “feel” that the H2 SX will be quicker and easier in pretty much all situations. The Old Gits trip to the Dolomites in June may help prove/disprove that theory.

The tank range has proved itself to be a realistic 180 miles between fill ups. 200 should be possible and one day, I’ll strap a can onto the pillion seat and find out. Either way, it’s pretty comparable to my previous K1300Ss.

The brakes have improved with use and feel stronger when pushed hard. In normal riding, planned braking conditions, they are the equal (at least the front is) with those on the K1300S. However, while there has been a noticeable improvement, emergency/very hard braking is still not quite as good as the K1300S. That said, it’s still very acceptable.

The seat comfort has improved with use. Again, it’s not as good as the BMW seat, but it’s currently acceptable. A replacement/rebuild at some point in the future may still be on the cards but I’ll wait and see on that one. My Airhawk will be coming to Italy with me but, it’ll remain in the luggage unless really needed.

I’m getting to understand the huge number of setting options there are available and, just as importantly, how to change the “mid ride”. Some are very useful and used often, some will be very useful but used rarely and some are pointless for my use though may be useful to others. (The option of “medium” power mode being the perfect example. If the conditions are not so bad as to be using low power mode – still 100bhp -  then full power mode would be used.)

The final thing is cruise control. This is the first bike I’ve had with cruise control. How the hell did I manage so many motorway miles without it? Like a quick shifter and heated grips, this is another item that was considered a toy until I had it, at which point it became essential.

Still early days but I continue to feel this is the bike (chain drive aside) that BMW should have produced as the replacement for the K1300S. It is, in my mind, the next evolution of the “do everything well” sports tourer. It lives by the ethos that originally gave us the R90S and the R100RS and on through the K1200S and K1300S.

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:28 pm »
Another useful write-up. Thanks.

...some BST Carbon wheels...

Don't you hate it when you have to rough it with some dodgy third party accessory.
And all at company expense, too.  Tch.   8) 8) 8)

Chris Canning - if he's reading - would be proud of your choice.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:49 pm »
He's not...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 02:33:54 pm »
He's not...
Oh, I am roughing it … in a style befitting a gentleman in my position. ;)