Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 1839 times)

Offline alancu

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Lava Orange "Piglet"
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic 'zorst, Limberger Hugger, custom GPS mount, BMW panniers, motech rack and pig ugly top box when needs must, a few other trinkets
Hi All
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:47:15 am »
Hi All,

Just joined the club, name is Alan and location is Buckinghamshire UK. Long term K1200R and K1300R rider with no intention of changing anytime soon, I love this bike having done some pretty extensive tours including southern spain in recent years.
A "mature" rider who has been biking since 1975, now retired so planning to make more time for ride outs, and also getting an ancient in pieces Honda CB550F back on the road   :)

Alan

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:05:12 pm »
Hi Alan and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

We all love a man who likes a challenge. I can't say I ever liked the 550F although I was always a Honda man in my middle age (Honda weren't around in my youth) and still paddle a CRF250L Rally around the lanes and supermarkets car parks of our fair land.

Brian (who finds it difficult to paddle and balance at the same time but since we've been under water for the last few months, he is getting better at it  8) )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 01:01:06 pm »
Hello Alan, if you like touring and have plenty of time this might interest you
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3878.0

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:26:30 am »
Hello Alan and welcome to the forum from an ex 1300R owner. Loved my R bike at the time except for it's fragility/corrosion and constant recalls. The £37.00 odd a month extended warranty and breakdown cover was a constant irritant. Perhaps I was just unlucky.  ;)

However, if you're in need of expert advice on the marque, there's plenty of knowledgeable chaps on here to point you in the right direction.

Jon

Offline alancu

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Lava Orange "Piglet"
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic 'zorst, Limberger Hugger, custom GPS mount, BMW panniers, motech rack and pig ugly top box when needs must, a few other trinkets
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:01:40 pm »
Thanks for the welcome all!

>I can't say I ever liked the 550F

I had another 550F back in '77 which was the only bike I ever had from new. It never ran right (carb issues) and I sold it and moved up a while later. I bought this one about 3 years ago for £300, it had been laid up in a shed since 1984!  I've pulled it apart (at a glacial pace!) and am now looking at a pile of bits.

>Hello Alan, if you like touring and have plenty of time this might interest you

Will check it out, since I'd be travelling well north to turn right round and come back I'm wondering if its acceptable to maybe join around Brum?

>welcome to the forum from an ex 1300R owner. Loved my R bike at the time except for it's fragility/corrosion and constant recalls

Been relatively lucky with mine but get it serviced by an independant. My riding buddy once described it as the ugliest bike he'd ever seen, a proper "pig in knickers", it got christened Piglet from that point on. I must admit I love its quirky looks.     

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:42 pm »
Will check it out, since I'd be travelling well north to turn right round and come back I'm wondering if its acceptable to maybe join around Brum?

Everyone is always welcome! We usually have 2 or 3 joiners/leavers on every Wrinklies. We know it doesn't suit everyone to blow 3-4 days pottering around.
It's always nice if you can stay overnight, just to get to know folks better, but that's purely optional too.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:41:05 am »
My riding buddy once described it as the ugliest bike he'd ever seen, a proper "pig in knickers", it got christened Piglet from that point on. I must admit I love its quirky looks.   

Many bikes looks are very subjective, I suppose like cars... and humans :D. I love the K1300R look. I only discovered the R existed after having owned the S for a little while. So I had the joy of, "Jesus and the quarterbacks the S is a heck of a big scary machine!" And then upon discovering the R, "Jesus, Mary and the quarterbacks the R looks fricking insane scary!"

So yeah. It was a good old time!

And in the name of avoiding my day job, other polarising bikes I like:

1. MT-10
2. ok that went well
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 11:25:58 am »
I believe that the CB550F was fitted with PD46A carburettors, which are notorious for causing running problems.

I understand that a good many owners converted bikes to the Keihn piston - valve type use on the CB500/4 and most other Honda's before PD46's came along, in sheer frustration!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »
Best introduction frase so far " ....... Long term K1200R and K1300R rider with no intention of changing anytime soon, I love this bike ......)
Welcome.
Embrace the wind.