Author Topic: Pannier Lock Removal  (Read 11009 times)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
Re: Pannier Lock Removal
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 02:04:28 pm »
Great photos. I spent ages trying to find these when I took the locks out of my panniers to sell them on. Then found the locks on XR panniers are identical and had to do it all again  >:(

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 04:23:24 pm »
Thanks Tom. I'll be on the case as soon as Santa arrives.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:31:18 pm by Lotus26R »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 05:21:15 pm »
Great pictures , thanks Tom.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 09:22:13 pm »
Thanks Tom. I'll be on the case as soon as Santa arrives.

On the case. You got me there, Lotus.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:09 am »
You know I couldn't find these photos anywhere and I couldn't remember how to pop the lock barrel out.

Therefore I went out to the garage and brought a case into the lounge to take a look.

Still couldn't remember so took the case apart.

Lots of bits taken apart later including more than necessary before I had worked it out.

Took the photos and there you have it.

Even managed to get it all back together again and it believe it or not no bits left over and it still works. :)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 09:33:47 am »

Lots of bits taken apart later including more than necessary before I had worked it out.

Took the photos and there you have it.

Dedication over and above the call of duty  :)

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34:31 am »

Even managed to get it all back together again and it believe it or not no bits left over and it still works. :)

That's the magic of Christmas...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 10:16:36 am »
See, I hate it when there are no bits left over because you know there should be. So where did they go?

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 11:14:06 am »
That's true - spares are good. I suspect I'll be looking for spare "leaves" before long - either that or having a very sparsely populated lock cylinder.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 02:27:01 pm »
When I did mine from new I think I got one leaf slightly out because one of my cases the lock is a little notchy but it works so I live with it... 8)

Offline Mike_BWM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »

These photos are of my lock unit removed from the case. (This is the opposite case from the unit shown in the photo above).

First remove the light grey lever case opening return spring.

The light grey latch lever is obstructing access to the lock barrel release latch.

Insert key and rotate fully anti clockwise. Open light grey lever. Without the spring fitted it will stay open.

Insert a thin screwdriver as shown and depress the barrel retaining lever.

The barrel with key can now be pulled out. The screwdriver is pointing at the barrel retaining lever which protrudes slightly.
When the correct lock levers and springs are fitted, they will be flush with the outside diameter of the barrel as shown here.

To refit the barrel, the case catches are closed and the locking catch that the lock barrel rotates is rotated completely clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver.

The lock barrel and key are inserted with the retaining lever facing outwards as shown. It should click into place.

Hi all. Let me first thank everybody in this thread for the conversation as this led me to victory ;-)
I  have bought second hand Sport Panniers for my K1300S but it had the key of the former owner. Of course I wanted to be able to use my own ignition key for this. After examing the insight of the case and reading this thread I tried the following with success. While there was suggested in this thread to remove the whole mechanism from the insight of the case first I did not want to do that (and did not believe this was neccessary). I also wanted to share some pictures  with you but not sure how to attach them.

Removed the middle screw in the insight of the case. The middle one of the 3 in triangle most outside of the case and almost inline with the lock. Took an electrical wire and stripped it for about 5 cm bending it for a couple of millimeters at the end of the wire. Now pushed the electrical wire in the whole for about 5 cm's (the one were I removed the screw offcourse) and tried to find the end of the lock were you have to press on the end pin for the lock to come out. After some tries succeeded with both cases. Programming both locks et voila!

PS: I think Tom is entering the cilinder back upside down and therefore you can't get to the pin anymore in the way I describe because than the pin ends up on the bottum side of the case and you can't get to it anymore through the whole.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:51:21 pm by Mike_BWM »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 08:04:07 pm »
Well done Mick and thanks for posting your findings.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 08:19:55 pm »
Well, you win this years 'Best First Post' award! So far.  8)
Have an applaud - for images & quality images at that.

But quick, add your approximate position before Rae gets you!
[Edit: you've done that too. A second applaud]

Offline Mike_BWM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 12:46:47 pm »
He already got me so I updated my profile  :D He also explained me how to add pictures so I will also post some pictures within the next days.

Mike

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 02:21:47 pm »
Well, you win this years 'Best First Post' award! So far.  8)
Have an applaud - for images & quality images at that.

But quick, add your approximate position before Rae gets you!
[Edit: you've done that too. A second applaud]

You been at Matt's magic mushroom cider again Richard? There are no pictures for the 'quality images' to relate to. They were all old ones from TomL :-*