Author Topic: Oh no Avon woes  (Read 3729 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Oh no Avon woes
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:59 pm »
Avon have discontinued my favourite tyre the Avon Storm 2 Ultra, oh no.
I currently have Pirelli Angel GT (A) fitted at the moment, there is nothing wrong with Angel GTs a great tyre a far better tyre than I am a rider. By the same token the Avons were a better tyre than I was a rider too but cheaper than the Angels.

There are still some Storm 2s available and I'll get a pair, but which way to jump after the Avon Storm 2 Ultra. I've tried Avon 3D XM the front went out of shape very quickly. PR3s were a bit squirmy over white lines in the wet. Not tried PR4s but they are as expensive as the Angles.
I'm not much of a Metzler fan (same company as pirelli I'm told) but might give them a go.

Woe woe and thrice woe.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Oh no Avon woes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:59 pm »
If you found the PR3 squirmy on white lines on the K (I never have) then I wouldn't bother with PR4's (on a K) cos they were very squirmy over white lines in the dry and broken longitudinal tarmac jointing where the overbanding had gone, even in the dry!

But seeing as you are not on a K I can't help you  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 03:33:36 pm »
The thing is Brian the tyres have no idea what bike they are on.

I'll get a pair of Avons that are still available and then I might look at the Metzler 01s
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:36:12 pm by raesewell »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:01 pm »
Shurelee not   :o

Dumb tyres, whatever next?

The point is that I haven't heard riders of other makes complain about the PR4's predilection for tramlining compared with the PR3. It does seem that the PR3 'suits' the funny front end of the K whereas the PR4 most definitely does not, at least at medium speed in my experience.

So, they might not know they are on your bike, but they also may or may not suit it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »
For the reasons already mentioned I won't be going for PR 3s or 4s.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:26:03 am »
Brian: I tend to change my tyres at just over 7000 miles, when they still have about 1000 miles left before the legal minimum I've used both PR4s and PR4GTs and in both cases, the tramlining didn't start until the last 1000 miles or so.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »
Avon have discontinued my favourite tyre the Avon Storm 2 Ultra ...

One of my mates uses these on his Hayabusa and swears by them. He'll be gutted by this as well  :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
Brian: I tend to change my tyres at just over 7000 miles, when they still have about 1000 miles left before the legal minimum I've used both PR4s and PR4GTs and in both cases, the tramlining didn't start until the last 1000 miles or so.

That's well weird David.

My experience was so long ago now I can't remember the mileage on the tyres at the time but I do remember commenting on it as soon as I got them fitted, which was just before the Italy trip. I imagine the big moaning write-up I did was after we got back, so about 3,000 miles in.

The white line tramlining wasn't too bad with the PR4's on my K12S. The worst was the 'tramlining' along broken longitudinal joints; the white line between lanes 2 & 3 on the eastbound M4 has broken longitudinal joints immediately to its right and that combination, in the wet, was lethal when filtering.

A few roads in Reading have a broken joint right on my 'natural' riding line and the bike simply refused to stay on line.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »

That's well weird David.

My experience was so long ago now I can't remember the mileage on the tyres at the time but I do remember commenting on it as soon as I got them fitted, which was just before the Italy trip. I imagine the big moaning write-up I did was after we got back, so about 3,000 miles in.

The white line tramlining wasn't too bad with the PR4's on my K12S. The worst was the 'tramlining' along broken longitudinal joints; the white line between lanes 2 & 3 on the eastbound M4 has broken longitudinal joints immediately to its right and that combination, in the wet, was lethal when filtering.

A few roads in Reading have a broken joint right on my 'natural' riding line and the bike simply refused to stay on line.

My first set of PR4s, the one's I had in Italy, did it a bit but adding the extra PSI recommended by the Michelin rep. solved it for the second set.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
This thread was about Avons not Michelins start your own thread you, you, you thread hijackers  :o ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
This forum is called EuroKClub you forum hijacker you!

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:27:03 pm »
This forum is called EuroKClub you forum hijacker you!

Touche

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:21 pm »
I have a little bit of sense, not a lot

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:14 pm »
Rae, You like your old Avon's but there are better out there. In the development cycle I guess you are talking about a tyre designed over 10 years ago. For me currently the best ST tyre = Roadsmart III, I have a brand new pair waiting to go on my RT when the salt is flushed away. I have a perfect set, under 2000 miles of Bridgestones 21's coming off.Anybody fancy  for them for a few quid north of £50.00 collected are welcome ?

I have had PR'4 on a number of bikes the RS III's are better all round.
JS