Author Topic: Wrinklies Chasing the Sun 4, 4th - 6th June 2018  (Read 38126 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Wrinklies Chasing the Sun 4, 4th - 6th June 2018
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2018, 11:18:10 am »
Hi folks, I have made a slight change to route number 1 no change to route 2, if you downloaded the old route, delete it and download the new one. There is not much of a change, we were passing very close to Sportsbikeshop and I want to pop in to try on a jacket (hope you don't mind) there is a tea and butty van on site. This stop will be about half an hour after the lunch stop.

I have updated the download links in post number 1 and I made sure they are all working so you are good to go with the download.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2018, 08:53:21 pm »
...until the next change  ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:33 pm »
No that's it now no more changes.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
Embrace change, Rae, embrace change.  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2018, 10:26:17 am »
Route changes you silly boy  ;D ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2018, 12:21:10 pm »
This is what the weather looks like on the routes. Not the exact routes but it will give you an idea.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:04 pm »
My rain suit is all packed and ready.....

Without ploughing through all the posts I can't be sure if Rae has covered the first rule....

When you arrive at Cleethorpes, make sure you fill up before you check in. Rae likes to be off promptly at Sparrow fart and having to phaff around waiting for the odd selfish tyke who needs to fill up first thing (because they couldn't be arsed to fill up on arrival) is guaranteed to put him in a grump and Tail-End Charlie will probably ride off in a strop. Rae has even put a Google maps link to fuel stations close to the hotel, how considerate of him.  ;D

So, please, make sure you have a nice full tank before you tuck it up for the night, there's a good chap  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2018, 12:27:18 pm »
Where are the lightning bolts below the clouds?
Oh, no, my mistake. It's OK, we're not going to Wales...

[Pedant's Corner: the weather maps don't match the route maps on page 1. But they're only for indicative weather, right Rae?]
[Post-edit: sorry Rae!]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:21:15 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2018, 01:12:18 pm »
Swot I said innit  ::) ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »
My rain suit is all packed and ready.....

Without ploughing through all the posts I can't be sure if Rae has covered the first rule....

When you arrive at Cleethorpes, make sure you fill up before you check in. Rae likes to be off promptly at Sparrow fart and having to phaff around waiting for the odd selfish tyke who needs to fill up first thing (because they couldn't be arsed to fill up on arrival) is guaranteed to put him in a grump and Tail-End Charlie will probably ride off in a strop. Rae has even put a Google maps link to fuel stations close to the hotel, how considerate of him.  ;D

So, please, make sure you have a nice full tank before you tuck it up for the night, there's a good chap  8)

It's in the itinerary timings "Start with a full tank" but I'm glad you reminded everyone  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2018, 07:41:07 pm »
Having just spent the usual three days trying to get the routes into my Garmin I then spent a few hours reviewing the route in the box against the route on Tyred Out.

For those on a Garmin, particularly Zumo 660, with the latest mapping and software updates, here are the discrepancies I found, some minor and some that will get you lost...

Route 1

Between waypoints 3 & 4 route takes you into Sandilands, Garmin does not...inserted waypoint in Sandilands.

Between waypoints 5 & 6, Everingtons (road) is incomplete on Garmin map just north of w/p 6. Garmin route takes you via Middlemarsh Rd and A158.

In Skegness, Garmin route takes you south and then east rather than east and then south to the ice cream stop at w/p 7. Inserted w/p on North Parade.

After w/p 8 in Wainfleet All Saints, Garmin shortcuts southerly loop using Barkham St. Left as is.

On the way into Sportsbikeshop, w/p 18, the direct route is incomplete in Garmin map. Left as is.

After w/p 19, Garmin uses direct route along Wash Road to A17 in Fosdyke rather than Bell Lane. Inserted w/p on Bell Lane.

Route 2

Between w/p 3 & 4, Garmin route ignores Street Ashton and uses B4112 from Pailton, under M6 to w/p 4. Inserted w/p in Street Ashton.

After w/p 9, Garmin does U-turn back through [...], under M40 and up Banbury Rd to w/p 10. Inserted w/p at Burton Dassett.

Between w/p 10 & 11 between Edge Hill and Upper Tysoe, Garmin route goes via Lower Tysoe. Inserted w/p on Sugarhill.

Between w/p 15 & 16 in Longborough. Can't remember but think Garmin went south to A424 rather than west. Inserted w/p on Gamborough Rd.

General concern.

After the debacle in the nether regions of Swansea last year in the rush hour, going anywhere near Bath could he suicidal in the rush hour. Grid-lock was invented here! It may be OK. I'm monitoring it on Google maps but today is a non-working day so no traffic.

We may be better skipping Bath and going via Bradford on Avon to pick up the route into Frome.

Here endeth the trials of Tail End Charlie  :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:21:50 am by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2018, 07:46:45 pm »
I did compare the routes on MyRouteApp between Tomtom and Garmin but as always, once you get the routes on the unit things change.
As long a we have coffee and lunch stops we can regroup should anyone get lost.
Barring breakdowns we should all be able to stay together. I'll take a look at the bit through Bath and get back to you.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2018, 08:13:04 pm »
OK peeps sorry to mess you about, on Brians recommendation I have rerouted us around Bath. So route 2 has changed please download.
I didn't make any other changes.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:25 pm »
You have the benefit of local knowledge Rich, which I cannot get from a map. I don't have time this week to make changes to the routes so we'll have to live with it as it is. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »
Sounds like Rich is Red One from the cake halt.

And, like I said, the final route is rarely the final route.