Author Topic: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S  (Read 17308 times)

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
Re: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 10:40:13 pm »
Do you have a link to Ebay site. Been on tonight and cant find exact match for the type you have purchased?? Looks impressive. When you fitting dip??
Good write up and looks easy enough to fit.
Mark Barbour

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:20 pm »
The company is 'ultra-hids' from Bradford. Their phone number is 01274 315177 for sales and support. If you search on ebay for ultra-hids it will ask if you want to search for a seller, then you will find them.

The kit I bought was an H7, 55w, 6000K, slim ballast car kit for any Canbus car; don't be fooled by the specificity of the adverts; they are all the same regardless of car make. If you go by the piccie of the box you won't go far wrong.

I did the dip a week or so ago and it is fine. The cut-off is as good as it was with a standard bulb although I haven't got the alignment spot on yet.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 04:18:25 pm »
Well the lights arrived in the exact same box as you posted Brian.  Although it does look rather shook up the bulbs are protected still.

I'm awaiting the front smoked indicator lenses and then I'll fit it all.  My hilariously expensive chromed/silvered bulbs appeared earlier this week too!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 09:30:41 am »
Weee

Blue sky and getting a bit warmer so I'll pop out shortly and see how I get on :D.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 09:32:27 am »
Incidentally mother told me that ice cubes can get the crushed carpet from old sofa legs to come back up.

Being a man who drinks whisky I obviously have no ice cubes in the flat so before I make such a huge investment, anybody care to call my mother a horrid liar?  (I will post in the appropriate sub-forum when my latest batch arrives)

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
Strangely enough swmbo and I were talking about furniture dents in carpet and the wonders of ice cubes (yes we have some deep conversations). She assures me this is a cure.
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
Either of you care to send your mother/Swimbo round to Phmode Towers where there 'could' be ice cubes (Pimms when the weather gets above 37 degs) and there are LOTS of carpet crushes...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 11:09:06 am »
Interestingly Matt, your kit is different from mine, differently coloured connectors etc.

Looking forward to seeing the results, as it were!

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 11:47:35 am »
Well, i've charged the tablet thing so I don't have my horrible laptop out there with me and am now off to give it a try.

I've parked the bike up facing a wall and marked the old llight pattern cut off...

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 12:40:00 pm »
Well that was fun!  I enjoyed doing the dipped as it required a bit of lateral thinking (Feed the ballast into the other main beam hole).
Apologies for the huge images.. actually hang on let me change device...

Ok so I did high-beam near-side first.

Interesting how the camera deals with it.  Badly.

Then I did the dipped and had a lovely time!
It looks surprisingly well-defined.

And finally the light pattern seems a nice cut-off.  It's actually maybe 10mm higher on the surface than the old, and I'm mostly sure I didn't move the bike whilst fiddling with the handlebars to get inside.  Will see soon anyway.

And the little tinkers unlit:

Apologies for no in-progress photos, I only took the old Hudl2 thing outside and it's a pain in the buttocks.  But also as Brian says it's a pretty straightforward job and... no cuts! 

I agree the bulb placement is less than a positive feel, but remembering how the old one sat and aligning to the little H7 embossed thing helped me.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:53:40 pm by Matt »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »
I assume that your beam setting device is actually a private sewage system pump Matt  :o

Glad you like the results. I still need to do more work on mine as the main doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bright as the one on the 12 and the beam pattern is very 'yellow' as if the +130 halogen is overwhelming the HID when it should be the other way round of course.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 08:58:35 pm »
That sounds strange!

I might nip out shortly and see if I get any flashes' actually.

And yeah, we love our sewage pump up here.  Except the fools who out stuff down there they shouldn't.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
Nearly bought a new build on a small 5 house development done by a private local builder almost 30 years ago.

Every time we went to look at the place the fence between 'us' and next door seemed to be in a different place. Eventually, one of the groundsmen spilled the beans; the fence was moved to put the private sewage system pump into the garden of the house that looked most likely to sell first. It was wired to both the supplies in the houses and would be switched out of the other when one of them sold. We waked away as there was nothing in the deeds about the other houses being responsible for the funding of the running and service costs and the builder refused to play ball.

After we walked away, that little saga ran for about three years with none of the houses selling...

Brian (who still has nighmares about a knock on the door at your house-warming party when the neighbour pops round to 'collect your 5#|+ money or we turn you off'  8) )

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
Thanks for all the great write ups guys.
I'm thinking of getting a set. Checked out ebay, as recommended by Brian. There seems to be a variety of prices between H7 55w canbus HID units( £18-£50). Is there quality issue here? All units come from around the UK.
Andy
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 10:19:17 pm »
I would be very suspicous of anything for £18.

The only ones I can vouch for are the ones from UltraHIDs.

Give em a call. The ones I use are between £45 and £50 depending if you find em on a day with an offer on.