Author Topic: Eventualy had to wash it!  (Read 4273 times)

jesim1

Eventualy had to wash it!
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:52:41 pm »
I decided after owning it for a year and only having washed it once due to fair weather riding it was time to break out the snow foam and give it a good going over. Bikes with shafts stay so much cleaner than those with chains, and not riding in the wet helps also if I can avoid it - and I hate washing stuff! I normally just clean the screen in between rides, but with the good weather the insect population was so in awe of my lovely black K1600 that they were literally throwing themselves at it...………...tarts  :-*

I've got quite a full year on it this year, so I think it may get a few more washes this time round  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Eventualy had to wash it!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:10 pm »
Snow foam? Never heard of it. And slightly proud of that.  ;D
Looks interesting though. Does it work better than water + washing up liquid?

I manage to clean the lights more than once a year, surpisingly. A quick run round is worth it to cast your eye over anything that may have changed, come loose, dropped off, etc. (That's a habit from Laverda ownership. Loctite: mandatory.)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:27:50 pm »
If you don't know about snow foam, take a look at detailing world website. Plenty in there about how best to look after your paintwork.
I hate cleaning the bike, just use the basics. Often just spray window cleaner on the front and wipe it off, although that isn't great for shiny paintwork.
The car is much nicer to clean, I use most of the detailing methods.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:04 pm »
If you don't know about snow foam, take a look at detailing world website. Plenty in there about how best to look after your paintwork.
I hate cleaning the bike, just use the basics. Often just spray window cleaner on the front and wipe it off, although that isn't great for shiny paintwork.
The car is much nicer to clean, I use most of the detailing methods.

Hmm, I had to look up 'detailing' too. I've honestly never heard of that either. Sheltered life. :-[

I'm drawing the line at sudsy water + hand-butchered 3M Ventureshield on my tank (which Rae had to tell me about!).
But kudos for keeping it clean, Andy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:20:23 pm by richtea »

jesim1

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
Snow foam just helps loosen the dirt before being jet washed, then washing it again with car shampoo.

Washing up liquid is the devils love juice  ;D

I don't wash it often, and I hate doing wheels, but every now and then I have to do it, so will use any short cuts I can, even though I'm sure using snow foam takes longer, I get to use toys to wash my bike!  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 09:12:36 pm »
Richard, you cretin!

Do you know what is IN washing up liquid?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:31:03 pm »
Richard, you cretin!

Do you know what is IN washing up liquid?

Many many hidden bubbles. You can't fool me. I've seen them. But they die quite quickly. Awww.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:43 pm »
It's salt! Or so I thought. Until I used the damn internet just. That's another old father's tale ruined!

So yeah it is a salt but... just Google it. Stupid chemistry.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 10:56:31 pm »
OK, I read up about it and it says (approximately in several places):

The bleach and ammonia contained in washing-up liquid break down the wax that is applied to the paintwork to protect it.
Once that protective layer is damaged, modern water-based paints can turn dull and, in extreme cases, start to crack.

Wax? Not on my bike. So not a problem.

But my favourite bit of info out there is this one:

Does washing-up liquid damage your vehicle?
We asked Dr Bob Eden BSc MSc PhD MICorr (Member of the Institute of Corrosion) for the truth:

“Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid). When I wash my aluminium bodied Lea Francis, a dash of Fairy is just fine…”

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:09 pm »
If you get a good snow foam, it also helps break down the harmful traffic film. For wheels, if your aluminium has little black spots, use Bilt Hamber autowheel. Its the nearest thing to magic. In fact all their chemicals are really good.
As I mentioned, more useful on the car for me. Shiny shiny.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 01:50:40 pm »
OK, I read up about it and it says (approximately in several places):

The bleach and ammonia contained in washing-up liquid break down the wax that is applied to the paintwork to protect it.
Once that protective layer is damaged, modern water-based paints can turn dull and, in extreme cases, start to crack.

Wax? Not on my bike. So not a problem.

But my favourite bit of info out there is this one:

Does washing-up liquid damage your vehicle?
We asked Dr Bob Eden BSc MSc PhD MICorr (Member of the Institute of Corrosion) for the truth:

“Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid). When I wash my aluminium bodied Lea Francis, a dash of Fairy is just fine…”

You haven't been washing your bike with fish and chips again have you?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 02:39:06 pm »
It did occur to me that the Insitute of Corrosion might be a mickey take, but no:

https://www.icorr.org/