Author Topic: Air Filters  (Read 1419 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 12:59:11 pm »
Interesting, if only - as he says - to avoid temptation!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 01:07:40 pm »
I have been thinking about taking out my Pipercross filter and replacing it with an OEM paper filter. This is not anything to do with performance but more to do with the absolute faff of cleaning and re-oiling. It costs almost as much for a cleaning kit as it does for a new paper filter.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07:28 pm »
I remember in the old K's someone put clingfilm over half the airfilter and ran it on a dyno, absolutely no difference to performance.  Admittidly, the filters in them were massive.

So airflow was not an issue with those bikes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:54:12 pm by richtea »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 04:10:37 pm »
Those of us older enough remember the K&N scandal back in 2008, this article is based on those products that since then have been discontinued; although the scam had to do with car filters and not motorcycle, tricle, and other type engines, definitely costed to the brand a lot of money in lost revenue and continue to do so since many consumers never return to the brand.
The best by far with proven credentials are the DNA filters for motorcycles, the only brad that publishes dyno tesukts on each and every brand engine that equips with each products..
Oiling filters is a work done at intervals no sooner than yearly.
Paper filters are to be used exclusively when operating engines in areas like a desert or similar where dirt  particles are sucked by engine at huge quantities and a  performance filter cannot process.
Embrace the wind.