Author Topic: Hello ... again  (Read 3491 times)

Ross Dean

Hello ... again
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:37:58 pm »
Hello All,
I was previously a member of this forum under the name Ross but its been so long since I posted that I had forgotten the login details.

I still have my 2010 K1300R which, as of October, is finally mine. The only issue with it until now was a rear shock failure but we sourced one on ebay which is now installed and running perfectly - it cost less than £100 plus p&p which was pretty good for a second hand BMW shock with esa - there is always a risk with second hand shocks but this one proved sound.

I have another issue with overheating in traffic which I'll search for first and post if necessary.
Ross

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Hello ... again
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:10:51 pm »
Hi Ross and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub! Again!! I'm sure we have a feature that allows you to contact us to give you the account details....

Anyway, the overheating is, without a shadow of a doubt, a clogging/clogged radiator. This is a really useful feature of the K which gets you a new radiator every few years and it only costs about £450 a time.

The clogging is normally on the outside. The front, lower corners of the rad get full of shite because the front mudguard is rubbish for a sports tourer, more useful on a weekend warrior machine.

The solution is lots of soaking and gentle washing through from the back of the rad until you can see daylight through every pore in the matrix. Allow a whole day for getting it as clean as possible and hopefully the overheating will disappear.

Ross Dean

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »
Hi Brian,
I guess to are right. I will check it out on Monday then start cleaning.
Ross

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:55 am »
And yet again!!!

I am now on the forum using my original name and profile.
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20:48 am »
Ain't tecnology wunnerfulll?

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:27 pm »
Hi Brian,
I guess to are right. I will check it out on Monday then start cleaning.
Ross

Or ... not enough coolant ...

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
Could be. Modern vehicles tend not to use it the way older ones used to. I have never had to top up either the K12 or the K13 in 7 or 8 years of ownership and the 1150GS used nary a drop either  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:41 am »
My R1150GS doesn't use any coolant either. ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »
and the 1150GS used nary a drop either  8)

Funnily enough my old GS was the same, I put 120k on the clock and never a drop of coolant... brilliant  ;D
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:00 pm »
Marvellous the way BMW  have cracked all the cooling issues on their  air cooled engines, just wish their K12/13 systems were as reliable. ::)
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 02:13:54 pm »
Marvellous the way BMW  have cracked all the cooling issues on their  air cooled engines, just wish their K12/13 systems were as reliable. ::)
Air and oil cooled.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
But I doubt it would work for an across the frame 4 Tom  8)

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »
Right - problem solved.

The mechanic who solved the problem suggested that the people who did the last service replaced the coolant without using a vacuum pump. This resulted in an air lock which allowed coolant flow but there was too little coolant in the system. The coolant was replaced correctly and the bike is running correctly with no over heating.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 02:36:19 pm »
That last service... independent or dealer...?
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!