Author Topic: Old Gits 2024 - French Pyrenees - June 2024  (Read 2489 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Old Gits 2024 - French Pyrenees - June 2024
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 02:52:27 pm »
The problem with the last one buying the beers is that many folks go thirsty waiting...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 03:33:43 pm »
... But I know which room number to add the bill too!   :winkthumbs:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2023, 08:56:51 am »
I can now confirm that the cost of the hotels and the crossing will come to less than £900. Personally, I think that's pretty reasonable for 9 nights B&B in a single occupancy room in 3* hotels, with secure parking for your bike, plus the Chunnel. There are still places available so let me know if you're interested in joining Matt, fjtwelve and myself from this forum, plus 8 others. BMWs, and particularly K1300S's, are currently under represented on the trip although all bikes welcome.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 11:09:54 am »
And surely Richard deserves a (dis)honourable mention in despatches for a 'near miss', David. The thought was there, or maybe it wasn't ...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 11:26:37 am »
Sorry Brian, I don't do dishonourable mentions. People have their own reasons for attending or not attending trips and those reasons are important to them.

Planning such trips is a challenge that I mostly enjoy, but still a challenge (And a really big challenge!!!) Perhaps surprisingly, one of the most difficult things I do is to tell someone who wants to come on the trip that they can't because there is no more capacity. I feel their disappointment. Knowing what is required of me at the earliest opportunity makes managing that challenge possible and avoids that disappointment, hence my request for people to commit early.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 09:17:54 pm »
And surely Richard deserves a (dis)honourable mention in despatches for a 'near miss', David. The thought was there, or maybe it wasn't ...

Ah. The cockup is mine, and purely mine, not David's, for which I have apologised, and made sure he will not be out of pocket should a hotel room go unfilled.
I hadn't realised that two holidays overlapped by a couple of days - and the other holiday isn't even mine. Grr.

Just to say for anyone thinking of going - it is good, really good, on several levels - the hotels, the rides, the good company, and of course the fact that David has completely smoothed the way for you. It's the sort of thing you would pay a tour operator through the nose for - David does it for free.
And I'm gutted not to be able to go next year.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 11:09:27 pm »
Hi David,
Reports of previous trips look really good, and I've looked at my plans for next year, and think I'd like to join you.  The format of the trip looks to suit me well, and I've ridden in the French Pyrennes before and loved it.  Is there a little flexibilty available for when I join and leave the group, as I'd plan to take a Plymouth - Roscoff crossing, meet you all in Brive-La-Gaillard stay with group until you all leave Lourdes, and find a different (slower) route home, as I'm not so keen on big mileage days on the motorways?  I'm more than happy to sort out my own crossings, and any hotels outside the ones you are using for the group, but would like to take advantage of the rest of the booking, and the company of like minded souls, plus I can add to the K13's on the trip.
Jason
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2023, 07:35:15 am »

Ah. The cockup is mine, and purely mine, not David's, for which I have apologised, and made sure he will not be out of pocket should a hotel room go unfilled.
I hadn't realised that two holidays overlapped by a couple of days - and the other holiday isn't even mine. Grr.

Just to say for anyone thinking of going - it is good, really good, on several levels - the hotels, the rides, the good company, and of course the fact that David has completely smoothed the way for you. It's the sort of thing you would pay a tour operator through the nose for - David does it for free.
And I'm gutted not to be able to go next year.  >:( >:( >:(

Thank you for the recommendation. There is no out of pocket on my part, but thanks for offering. You are, of course, very welcome on future trips.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 07:35:21 am »
Hi David,
Reports of previous trips look really good, and I've looked at my plans for next year, and think I'd like to join you.  The format of the trip looks to suit me well, and I've ridden in the French Pyrennes before and loved it.  Is there a little flexibilty available for when I join and leave the group, as I'd plan to take a Plymouth - Roscoff crossing, meet you all in Brive-La-Gaillard stay with group until you all leave Lourdes, and find a different (slower) route home, as I'm not so keen on big mileage days on the motorways?  I'm more than happy to sort out my own crossings, and any hotels outside the ones you are using for the group, but would like to take advantage of the rest of the booking, and the company of like minded souls, plus I can add to the K13's on the trip.
Jason
Thanks for the interest in the trip. The 6 nights in the Pyrenees are "the trip"  so you are welcome to arrange the "there and back" in any way that works for you.

PM me or contact me through the Old Gits web site and I'll start the arrangements to get you onto the trip. There is the requirement for a £250 non-refundable deposit when booking onto the trip but that goes entirely towards your hotel costs.

I'm looking forward to meeting you.  :winkthumbs:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2023, 08:53:14 am »
So, there and back hotel details now added to the first post in the thread.

From here we now have black-k1, fjtwelve, Matt & Grumpy jase on the trip

As detailed in the first post, accommodation and Channel crossings will total just over £900. Even I have been pleasantly surprised that the overall cost for 9 nights B&B in a minimum of 3* hotels, with Channel crossing there and back, still only totals around £100 per night.   :thumbsupgood:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 02:42:22 pm »
We've now had a couple of people join the trip and a couple drop out. At the moment, there are currently 13 people on the trip, a number of which are from this forum.

There is still space available on the trip but I will be "closing the doors" at the end of February to ensure I can finalise the finances with all of the hotels in plenty of time before June. I'll also be playing with my new bike :D from March onwards so won't be able to give the required attention to adding people to the trip.

If you are interested in joining us on our trip to the French Pyrenees, or have any questions about the workings of the trip, them please let me know ASAP.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:41:34 pm by black-k1 »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 03:08:54 pm »
After having finally remembered I own a motorcycle, and riding the thing these last couple of days, I am very much looking forward to this trip :). Thanks for your efforts David.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 02:59:42 pm »
After having finally remembered I own a motorcycle, and riding the thing these last couple of days, I am very much looking forward to this trip :). Thanks for your efforts David.

I've just had mt first ride on mine since October. Like you, I'm really looking forward to the trip in June. :D  And as long as you enjoy the trip, I'm happy to arrange it!  :thumbsupgood:

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2024, 03:07:19 pm »
Well damn it to heckington. After Brian persuaded me to bring my quadcopter on our little Wales trip this week, we tried the Maven app thing which adds features to my Mini that DJI don't.

So now I can annoy everyone by doing bird's eye follow-me type stuff as well as onboard footage.

i.e. this.

So I'll almost certainly be bringing it with me alongside the 360 camera thingy. @Martin I apologise in advance for the day I remember I have them and keep wanting to pull over/climb that mountain to rescue it.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2024, 03:59:58 pm »
Wow! Doesn't it make you look like you're going really slowly?  ;)