Author Topic: Looking for new sat nav  (Read 4770 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Looking for new sat nav
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:09 pm »
Must say that I have upgraded to a Zumo 590 but much prefer the display on the older Zumo 550.

I don't want to see the speed limit and other information that is squeezed into the 590 display and is for me not easily read.

Isn't it strange how requirements for a simple navigational aid can differ so much? For me, the speed limit is one of the most essential pieces of information on the screen while I'm on my commute in town. With so many changes of speed limit, with my eyes on the other traffic, pedestrians etc., my mirrors, doing lifesavers and me riding to the conditions, it's really useful to know where I can instantly find the current limit when a plod speed check/camera comes into view.
I like to think that I know the speed limit where I'm riding/driving without looking at a satnav.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:59 am »
Must say that I have upgraded to a Zumo 590 but much prefer the display on the older Zumo 550.

I don't want to see the speed limit and other information that is squeezed into the 590 display and is for me not easily read.

Isn't it strange how requirements for a simple navigational aid can differ so much? For me, the speed limit is one of the most essential pieces of information on the screen while I'm on my commute in town. With so many changes of speed limit, with my eyes on the other traffic, pedestrians etc., my mirrors, doing lifesavers and me riding to the conditions, it's really useful to know where I can instantly find the current limit when a plod speed check/camera comes into view.
I like to think that I know the speed limit where I'm riding/driving without looking at a satnav.
I do too and for 95%+ of the time, even commuting in London, I do, but there are so many changes of limit that it's very easy to miss one and sods law says that's the one with the speed trap/camera in it. Signs get obscured by parked vehicles, other road side furniture, vegetation etc. and gone are the days of "street lights so it must be 30mph". Doing exactly 30 in a 20 zone is well into points territory.

I just wish the sat nav would also tell me if I'm allowed into any particular bus lane because that's another mine field that's already cost me £60 when I missed the sign.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:57:22 am »
Luckily I very rarely have the pleasure of riding in London. :)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 11:51:48 am »
I think 'we' can count ourselves very lucky Tom.

I haven't commuted any distance into a major town for many years now and the tendency was always to keep at the same pace once you hit the limits, especially in the very early morning before the rush hour started. The other thing is the familiarity (read boredom) of doing the same ride every day which not only lulls one but also breeds contempt!

I love the speed limit icon on the sat nag. If only it were 100% accurate. I've noticed quite a few extended limits in rural areas as well as 30's with bracketed 40's which are still not on the database.