Author Topic: Cam Cover Leak  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 30th Anniversary Edition
Cam Cover Leak
« on: February 06, 2024, 08:31:12 am »
Hi all
I have a 2013 30th Anniversary Edition.  Went for run and when got home found I had an oil leak. Bike was laid up for 8 weeks.  Now a leak.

I noticed that the cam cover retaining bolt rubber seal have all gone hard so I am going to buy the 8 rubbers but for now replace them Hoping it might pull the cover down further.  I’ll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:16:49 pm by Eastsussexbiker »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Cam Cover Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:02:01 pm »
Welcome Eastsussexbiker!

'played up' = laid up?

That's not one I've of before but I guess any bike is susceptible to a gasket/seal leak.

My (very limited) mechanicing skills mke me think that evenly tightened is something to aim for, since uneven tightening will warp the gasket/seal, which I've seen on lesser bikes.

Is it BMW serviced?

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 12:31:02 pm »
Hi  oops
Yes it was laid up as I was off for 8 weeks prostate cancer (Removed)

I’m trying to do a short term cure as have commitments I’m trying not to cancel.  I agree with what you say entirely I’m hoping I can reduce the oil loss. Plus I’ve been quoted £350 labour plus £80 for part's just not affordable for be right now. I can do it I just don’t have the tool to bleed the coolant system. So may have to remove rad and plug the hoses to retain water in engine so minimal loss.

I’m chewing it over the best option
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:17:36 pm by Eastsussexbiker »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 12:45:12 pm »
The cooling system MUST be vacuum filled or you might as well kiss the bike goodbye.

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 01:15:31 pm »
Yes i agree still deliberating my options.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 01:48:18 pm »
Yes i agree still deliberating my options.
The vacuum kits are not expensive. Ebay is your friend  :thumbsupgood:

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 09:45:31 pm »
£350 labour seems a bit excessive; it should only take a couple of hours at most if they know what they are doing. As well as the vacuum filler, a  puller tool to get the coil packs out is a good idea. You might also need to take the clutch cover off (17 single use aluminium bolts if you believe BMW) if the timing chain guide has come out of the notch that the bottom end sits in and you need to re-seat it. It's almost impossible to get the guide back in the right place by just pushing it in from the top. You also need a tiny bit of RTV sealant, but only to seal round the water pump drive.

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 02:39:15 pm »
That’s good to know I may do that as needs painting anyway peeling paint.  If it don’t it once won’t it do it again?  I did have a clutch replaced about 4 months ago could be related may have got disturbed. So you can youse the bolts again?! 

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 02:44:15 pm »
I have bought a vacuum tool gaskets and some sealer which I can use on the clutch housing if I take it off.  So I plan to do this on my day off.

I’ve heard of people trimming the top off the chain guide by 2-3 mm on inside the cam housing to stop it push the top up ! Right or wrong

Online Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 11:39:30 pm »
You do not sealer on the clutch cover. I have removed mine twice and re used the same gasket. BMW don’t suggest it’s use. If a chain jump guard is fitted it drops into the seating area of the chain guard which lifts the guard by a small amount. I have just replaced the cam chain/sprockets and noticed the guide protruding from the top of the cylinder head however it was less than the gasket thickness. No harm in removing a small amount from the top of the guide
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 11:41:18 am »
I’ve seen posts on on the forum saying the mod to stop timing chain jumping can lift the guide up above the face of the head possibly forcing cam cover up creating an oil leak in the right corner. I notice my guide is proud of the top head when in place with the chain mod fitted however it has a cut out where the cam cover web is now that could be wear but I may just take a bit more of that out
I think the cut out on tensioner is wear so should I trim it down ?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:53:42 am by Eastsussexbiker »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 05:43:04 pm »
I doubt the jump guard mod would affect the guide. It is only a plastic thingummy to keep the chain in contact with the teeth in the event that the tensioner loses it's oil when sat, especially on the side stand, for any length of time or somehow loses it's pressure with the engine running or at start up.

I'm very suspicious about that amount of protrusion on the guide and it certainly looks like it has been buggering the oil seal on the cover.

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 06:11:45 pm »
Thing is there is a post on the forum saying that they have trimmed the guide to stop it hitting the cover mine look like it has. Also they replaced the guide and it was shorter !! Mine stands proud of the head so wondering if I should replace the guide. Are you aware of a modified guide.  Can you just pull that front guide up and out the slip a new one back in.

Offline Eastsussexbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 06:24:01 pm »
This what I found under “cam chain guide”

I've just had this same problem, replaced the gasket, and it still leaks.
(By the way you do need sealant in a few spots, the service manual asks  you to put it in the corners of the 2 round cut outs on the left, and it had it before in those places)
I've done a bit more searching and come up with several people who said the dealer found that the chain guide was shifting up and pushing on the cover. Chain guide replaced to fix it.
I guess i'll get the cover off again....

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2024, 10:40:38 am »
I had the cam cover leak on a K1300S I bought some years ago from Matt.

Matt had the gasket renewed by BMW 3k miles before I bought the bike from him, but the gasket was still leaking.

I found that the two oil breather pipes behind the cylinder barrels  near the clutch/ alternator were both blocked with mayonnaise & were causing a pressure build-up in the engine crankcase that caused the leak.

Once cleaned out, I re-used the original cam cover gasket & never had any further leaks.
So definitely worth checking those pipes out.    https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=4363.msg52484#msg52484