Author Topic: Packing it all in  (Read 802 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
Packing it all in
« on: December 22, 2023, 12:07:05 pm »
Due to age and a lack of enthusiasm I’m packing in motorcycling.
I have a 2009 K13s with 77,000 miles on the clock and is of course showing its age.
Apart from an MOT notification appertaining to possible ball joint renewal and patched exhaust headers the bike is reasonable and very rideable.
The bike has been serviced by Tom Luther who does more than needed when working on it. Oil and filter changes have ben regular and mostly on time, mostly early.
I have no idea of its value,
Is it worth anything to anyone on here, if so make me an offer
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:26:01 pm by drumwrecker »
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Packing it all in
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 09:01:27 pm »
Ron, so sorry to see you are giving up riding. I understand the frailties of ageing and lack of enthusiasm, I'm in that position with my astronomy hobby; too cold and wet and miserable to spend hours outdoors in this terrible British weather.

If you look on Autotrader you will find many bikes like yours. OK, not too many with the age and mileage of yours at the moment, but come March time I am sure you will get a fair price for it. Keep an eye on the ads and price it accordingly.

Wishing you all the best and it was lovely riding with you down the years. Brian

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 09:52:41 pm »
Sorry to hear your giving up riding Ron. It may be worth seeing if anyone on the Old Gits WhatsApp is interested in your bike.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 05:15:56 pm »
Thanks fellers for the advice.
I put this message on the OG's as well.
Couldn't find any high mileage K's on Auto Trader.
I thought it might be useful as a hack bike.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 06:22:16 pm »
Your probably right,but 6 weeks or so too early,and of course….when these go wrong they cost.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 08:03:22 pm »
...true, but most punters won't know that till it's too late, I didn't in 2011...

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 01:55:06 pm »
Can I ask some advice.
Did  new k13s' come with the panier carrier framework fitted?
I will be selling my boxes and wonder do i need to remove the carrier and if I do what problems might I encounter.
I might also remove my bar risers and replace the originals.
Thanks.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 03:15:41 pm »
As I remember with both of mine, the pannier frames (and the panniers) were listed as separate items.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 03:32:01 pm »
Absolutely correct.

I wouldn't bother removing them, loads of the bikes for sale have the frames but not the cases, so if you are selling the cases separately then I would leave the frames on. They are still available from the Chermams online.

However, unless you have the Rear mudguard (black thingummy between the tail light and the number plate holder) then it is a simple job to remove the frame, which is one piece.

If you do have the rear mudguard, then it 'might' be fitted over the rear of the rack or underneath it, can't remember off hand and I'm not at home at the moment. This only matters if the rear mudguard is fitted 'after', ie 'over' the rear of the frame. If it is 'over', then it has to be removed before the frame can be removed and the cheesy screws that hold the mudguard in place will almost never come out in one piece. I've had to drill out mine before now which melts the plastic of the mudguard. Proper screws and a couple of repair washers will allow it to be refitted properly if you do have to remove the mudguard. Good luck Ron.  Brian

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 03:51:42 pm »
Yes I do have the mudguard and as I fitted it it almost certainly will be over the carrier frame as it appeared to be an easy job. One job less to do then. Thanks fellers.
Now to check if all the bits are there for the original handle bars.