Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project
« on: December 21, 2023, 10:21:53 pm »
Been searching through this awesome forum for all things K13 in preparation for buying my new to me bike and must say its been a really great source of information from a nice bunch of people! :winkthumbs:

Im a part time detailer ( full time drummer :evil:) and plan to take all the plastics/ wheels off, fully clean/decontaminate the bike, machine/hand polish everything that I can then add some much needed protection. ( ceramic/quartz coatings and acf50 etc)

Im just wondering what  I should be inspecting/servicing mechanically while its in this state for peace of mind and future proofing. The dealers all say they will fully check and prep the bike before its released, but I doubt it will be anything other than a check over/fluids top up.

I have looked, but does this resource already exist here anywhere with step by steps etc? I saw the thread about the rear suspension service but am struggling to find anything else

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=4255.msg51068#msg51068

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 04:24:49 pm by Forcefield »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: New (used) Bike Service/Road Prep
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 10:53:28 pm »
CLEAN THE RADIATOR!

Was that loud enough?

Here are the instructions:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3035.0

And the latest thinking for cleaning material (Rae's recommendation):
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=4999.45

And for a general read on buying a K1300S, if you haven't found it yet:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3984.0

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 11:40:54 pm »
No, no Richard! The most important thing is to clean the radiator...

The things that will kill a K in the longer term are the radiator becoming clogged on the outside to the extent that it can't be properly cleaned and the exhaust system springing a leak. Almost everything else, suspension, engine, gearbox, clutch etc. can be serviced and or replaced as needed.

The radiator is still available at c. £500 from a genuine BMW dealer on eBay, but once the existing stock is gone from BMW warehouses, who knows? No one in the after market makes or will ever make replacement radiators.

Likewise exhaust systems. As per the recent discussions about whether or not they can be rescued by welding, it is fraught with danger. Again, no one makes replacements. Various replacement upgrade systems were available but now the bike is no longer a current model they are very rare indeed.

Any new owner needs to ensure, by speaking with their local BMW dealer, that all the recalls and non-recall initiatives have been done. For the K13 that amounts to the rear flange and the fuel pump leak if my failing memory hasn't got more clogged passageways than my radiator.

The rear dog-bone work is the easiest way not to die on a K through lack of a little lube

The hot start issue is a bugger if you get it, but it is fixable. Mine, which was quite severe at one point, went away when I changed the battery and didn't come back even when that battery was in the process of dying.

As for the routine stuff, I'm sure we have the service sheets in here somewhere. If we haven't, we should have. They will give you all the normal maintenance details.

Also, you should get yourself a copy of the RepROM, the official BMW workshop manual on dvd (from a dealer for around £100 but they are also getting thin in the ground) as there is no simple alternative such as a Haynes.

If you ask nicely, someone in here may have a spare copy lying around...

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
Re: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 05:10:56 pm »
Ok, Going to keep everything in this thread if thats ok from beginning to end. I'll document the process here and upload phots/youtube links

The bike-
A one owner Black 2013 K1300s Sport. Fully stock as far as I can tell. 17k miles. Bought from BMWs non approved used bike division in Preston called 'The used bike wear house'. I think the bike has barley seen a wet day.. until today  :angel:, and has only done about 700miles since 2019. Looks like its been a garage queen most of its life and been loved very much!..  Everything on the bike seems tip top, apart from a 'possible'  slight radiator overheating issue that Im currently looking into with your much appreciated help and knowledge.

Plans are-

1. Full decontamination of bike dressed then undressed, including treating that pesky radiator to the special foamy stuff. This will include all kinds of lovely snowfoam/prewashes, contact washes, tar remover, fallout remover, clay bar etc etc.
2. Any mechanical servicing/attention needed that normal service/dealer sales prep wouldn't have done. ( Final shaft oil, cleaning/greasing rear suspension linkage bearing, anything else?)
2. 2 stage machine polish of the body work and wheels followed by either a full quartz coating or other Si02 LSP.
3. Addressing any rusty fasteners etc ( i can see a few from behind the fairing etc)
4.Hand/machine polishing everything else needed and protect with relevant coatings ( ACF 50 etc )
5.Add a rear hugger to help keep clean
6.Add some personal touches- Raised bars, Lowered pegs, fake cruise control, black screen, smoked front indicators, change stock silencer)

Cant think of anything else right now, but Im sure theres more. :o

Anything you guys can think of that will help would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for all the help and support so far!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 05:20:59 pm »
There is a small but effective rear piece that keeps the crap off. Brian will be along soon to tell you about it.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 06:23:06 pm »

As for the routine stuff, I'm sure we have the service sheets in here somewhere. If we haven't, we should have. They will give you all the normal maintenance details.

Also, you should get yourself a copy of the RepROM, the official BMW workshop manual on dvd (from a dealer for around £100 but they are also getting thin in the ground) as there is no simple alternative such as a Haynes.

If you ask nicely, someone in here may have a spare copy lying around...

Did a quick search.. is this the right thing-

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/threads/bmw-rsd-09-2017-iso-file-repair-and-service-data-including-instructions.243943/

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 06:37:18 pm »
I will PM you a link.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 06:42:53 pm »
There is a small but effective rear piece that keeps the crap off. Brian will be along soon to tell you about it.

And now as rare as hen's teeth with the accordingly silly prices for what is just moulded plastic.
I was reduced to removing mine from my previous bike to install on the next.

The part number is:
BMW 46627675424

Looks like this (pic from ebay US - don't buy it - the P&P is obscene):

Also see discussion here, about the lovely Ilmberger carbon hugger and the rear extender combined:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=5251.0

[EDIT: ah, sorry Rae, we clashed. But you may have another part number - I think there are two.]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 06:45:35 pm by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 09:13:00 pm »
The 2013 K1300S Sport had all the optional extras except the Akra.

I had to pay extra for the Akra.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 09:23:15 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 09:46:44 pm »
The BMW part number is...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=0509-USA-01-2010-K40-BMW-K_1300_S_0508,0509_&mg=77&sg=31&diagId=77_0114&q=46627675424

...but this like thingy works better...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0509-USA-01-2010-K40-BMW-K_1300_S_0508,0509_&diagId=77_0114

Don't bother with the BMW screws (extra) as they are made of rusty stuff. Buy some stainless self-tappers and rear easy.

Whatever the price now, they are worth their weight in, well, plastic as well as blood, sweat and tears. Much more effective at keeping the crud off the back end than a mega-expensive hugger.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 12:04:01 am »
REAR MUD GAURD EXTENDER-

Ok great thanks for heads up, I will get one ordered. although I.am really struggling to find any online... Does anyone have any links? The one you shared doesn't seem to have a buy option.

what sizes self tapping screws do i need? Do you have a link?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 12:09:09 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 12:07:00 am »
REAR HUGGER-

I should get one of these too. Il be riding through all seasons so it will only help right keep parts of the bike clean

Power bronze one seems to be the way forward, but anyone had any experience with this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325905679512?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sZZ_Fa3wR3-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=CbeZ9vJsSs2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 12:06:44 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 12:18:51 pm »
REAR MUD GAURD EXTENDER-

Ok great thanks for heads up, I will get one ordered. although I.am really struggling to find any online... Does anyone have any links? The one you shared doesn't seem to have a buy option.

what sizes self tapping screws do i need? Do you have a link?

They are like rocking horse feathers now. They were shipped with all K12 bikes (don't know about K13's) but the customer, who never knew they were available, had to request they were fitted at delivery time...

When I needed new screws for the one on my K12 (fitted from standard) North Oxford had no idea what I was talking about. When I showed the parts manager he looked a little perplexed and then said 'Oh, those black wing things. We have a box full of them in stores and I always wondered what they were...' I should have bought the box full then and there.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 04:12:57 pm »
I think it may already have one on it. Il.post a pic in a few hrs when I get a minute on the laptop

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 07:01:38 pm »

Is this it?  ???