Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project  (Read 10066 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2023, 07:56:47 pm »
You can use multiple images per post.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2023, 07:57:41 pm »
You can use multiple images per post.

I tried, by using the upload method in multiple lines in one post, but it only uploaded the 1st picture?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 08:25:32 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2023, 08:09:29 pm »
FAN

Its in good condition apart from the heat shield on the back. Is this replaceable? anyone know where t get this?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 09:40:56 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2023, 08:37:48 pm »
All in all its pretty clean under the fairing, although theres some bits that need sorting and looks like a little bit of paint on the engine has already been repaired-

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2023, 08:58:39 pm »
Good pics. The radiator looks OK to me, but it's tricky when it's still got flies and dried-on gunk still attached. Not many bashes.
Do post an 'after' picture once you've cleaned it so we can compare 'before' and 'after'.

Self-adhesive heat shield is available on eBay for £15 or so. Someone smarter than me can tell you what to look for.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2023, 09:22:20 am »
Ritchie, that’s the info but the disc only runs on windows, I had the same problem although you can set up the Mac to run windows. ( beyond me) I managed to buy a Toshiba laptop from one of those cash converter places for about £90. To me it was worth it, I hate anyone messing with my bike.
I discounted the front strand as you can’t spin the wheel to clean it. I’d look for an older cup type rear swing arm stand and put a length of steel rod through the front axle.
The disc is invaluable for the torque values alone.

Best regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2023, 09:35:25 am »
Self-adhesive heat shield is available on eBay for £15 or so. Someone smarter than me can tell you what to look for.

Actually, having looked at the image again, I wouldn't bother. Its doing 95% of it's job and no one is going to see it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2023, 12:59:13 pm »
OK, so the rad has some furry bits and bobs sticking in the finning which will probably just wash out easily using a hose from back to front. Never use a hose with any pressure or a pressure washer from the front to the back as this will simply drive the crud further into the finning.

You need to use a flashlight and a mirror and get behind the rad to see how much of the finning is clogged, it's difficult to see this from the pics. The worst areas are normally the bottom outer corners.

Karcher sell a 90° swivel head for their pressure washer wands and this is great for getting in behind the rad and washing the crud through from back to the front.

Generally, the principle should be lots and lots of soaking, leaving the water to soften everything followed by some general washing through. Rinse and repeat. Lots.

Engine paint peeling is to be expected on almost any K at the age of your bike assuming it has been used in the winter months. Brian

Offline runnerboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: The best colour K13s 😉 Remus can, carbon hugger, Heli risers.
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2023, 02:12:06 pm »
Looking good Ritchie, I agree about the front stand, just moved my bikes around and saw the similar stand I have been using left some impressions on the tyre. I came on to the forum today to look for info on stands.

I see you are from the north west, just this morning was reminiscing about a great ride up there in June, stunning road into Bowness on Windermere from the North. Happy day that was for sure.

Good luck with the cleaning.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2023, 09:44:47 pm »
Thanks everyone! Spent a full day at it.. many many flushes of the radiator. The foamy stuff hasnt arrived yet, so I found that saturating it with APC, then water, then using a blow dryer to flush out the water was the best method with what I had.

How does it look? is it still blocked?

I use this-

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/products/bigboi-blowr-mini.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCentre&variant=9310&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAnL-sBhBnEiwAJRGigplNqiMpBsPCs1S86kwnYlowY5pMSzp7ChtmVQEeLO364Nx2dONWhhoC_t8QAvD_BwE

Its also very handy for drying off the bike after a wash. If you've never used one before you will be amazed at how much water is lurking in the crevices. You get cheaper dog grooming ones that are just as good.

Is it worth getting a front mud guard extender?

As for the flaking paint, its going to be a bit of a pain to sort as theres no way Im dismantling the bike. Il just have t do my best with most things in situ.
Does anyone know what paints best to match the engine? I have a tin of satin black halfords Engine paint.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 01:46:52 am by Forcefield »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2023, 09:51:17 pm »
Is anyone able to confirm what this is and if its ok to take if off? Theres quite a bit of flaking paint behind it that would be much easier to sort if Im able to remove it.

Many thanks! Early night for me and then another day of tackling that awful paint.

Many thanks,

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2023, 10:07:22 pm »
I believe that's the cam chain tensioner. I've never taken it off but people replace em I recall. There's probably a thread on this forum :).
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2023, 10:08:22 pm »
I believe that's the cam chain tensioner. I've never taken it off but people replace em I recall. There's probably a thread on this forum :).

thanks so Much, il have a search now! :download:

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2023, 10:10:50 pm »
Heres the radiator from front on. AM I right in saying its still almost completley blocked. Theres a patch near the middle that looks somewhat unblocked. is the whole radiator ment to look like that one patch?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:28:50 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2023, 10:12:05 am »
Hmm, comparing it to the photos in this thread do look much clearer.

But I'll defer to the others here as I seem to be the only one to never have rad clogging (although I was doing so many miles and seeing BMW so frequently I think we went with "they probably cleaned it")
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022