Author Topic: Creaking sound  (Read 5312 times)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Creaking sound
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
Hi folks!

2006 K1200S, with ESA

When I sit on the bike, it makes a creaking sound - like a creaky door being slowly opened.
It's just failed an MOT due to "excessive rear suspension stiffness". Now, it's not stiff, but it does creak.

So far I have:

Taken the suspension linkages (triangular things) off, cleaned and re-greased all the needle bearings. None of them needed it really.
Took the shock off, cleaned it - looks like new.
Tried moving the swingarm with the shock disconnected, still gets creaking noise (so it's not the shock then).
Took Torque arm off - it wasn't that either.
The Swingarm bearing feel OK - left side was fine, right side a bit harder to check, but far as I can tell, seems OK.

Anyone got any ideas where this sound might be coming from?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Creaking sound
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
How many miles has your bike?
Do you ride usually with a pillion?
Have you done the recall on the dog-bone link? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:05:26 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »
If it were a Boxer almost certainly it's the para lever bearing after what you describe sounds like a dry drive shaft joint coming off the gear box,you'll have fun pulling the rubber  :( but even a shot of WD might do the trick assuming you can get at it without stripping everything off the back.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:15:09 pm »
On my K12S it is my knees!

Brian (who wonders what the MoT tester was attributing the stiffnes to)

PS Have you tried the ESA Function Test as detailed in the RepROM?

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:01 pm »
When the absorber has reached its life span the piston inside locks in the upper position and has no movement that is described as stiffness.
In this position when certain pressure applied during an absorber test, it responses and appears functioning but then locks again. The MOT can be fulled by this reaction. The system is manufactured in this way to protect its self from a malfunctioning ESA.
This is the reason for asking the mileage of the bike.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »
If you do the function test with an accomplice sitting on the bike, going round with a pokey stick stuck in yer ear (as opposed to your rear) should allow you to discern the point of origin.

Brian (be interesting to know the mileage and whether the dog-bone link recall has been done, and if so, when and how many miles ago)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
T'was a long day in the garage yesterday....

Thanks to all who replied - gave me some useful ideas.

Bike has 8000 miles on it, dog bone was done around 4000.

At first, it sounded like the noise was coming from the swingarm bearings, so I pulled the pins out and tried them - all smooth, no problems.

Eventually, after pulling most all of the back end apart, I took the bevel box off and found the problem - I was missing a spacer between the swingarm and bevel box bearings (essentially clamping the bevel box to the swingarm). The noise was the metal grinding on metal at this joint. I haven't had this off before, so I dunno where the **** it's gone, but it's shown in RepROM. Simple cure anyway - made up a new spacer on the lathe. Put it all back together, and it works fine, no creaking!!!

Of course, I discovered the rear brake pads are gone (after 8000 miles!!!!! WTF?!), I need more optimoly to grease the splines, and of course my brake disc flange has cracks in it round 2 of the bolt holes. Given that BMW claim this only happens on bikes that have brake disc bolts overtightened... (they've not been off....ever).

Let's hope that recall reaches the UK soon!

Anyway, thanks everyone. With luck, I'll be on the road in time for summer!

Steve

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 11:08:00 am »
Nice work and of-course without any dealer involved.
They might easily lost that spacer when doing that last recall.
Still the stiffness is not justified by that. And certainly not by only 8 k. Have you done the ESA test?
What brand were the pads?
The recall has reached UK, the issue is that they are sending the flanges by dozens one dozen at the time so it creates a backlog.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:35:22 am »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:13 am »
How the fnerk does a bloody great spacer like that go walkabout? I would have been having serious words with the dealer(s) involved in the bike's history if it had been me!

Brian (who would love to have a lathe in his workshop, if he had a workshop  :-\ )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:51 pm »
If it was the spacer that I pointed out then it probably went walkabout when the final drive oil was changed.

No drain plug and the final drive has to be rotated through 90 deg to drain the filled for life oil out of the filler plug hole.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 01:20:38 pm »
I wish could see the situation of the drive shaft now
Embrace the wind.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:35 am »
For anyone who thinks they may have the same problem, the missing spacer was part #5 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0581&mospid=51573&btnr=33_1785&hg=33&fg=74

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »
Some kind of party trick trying to compress the suspension when also bending down trying find out where the hell the noise is coming from :) and then trying to do it one handed to feel for the vibe God knows how many times I lost balance :o

My squeak is the Ilmberger hugger rubbing.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:40 pm »
Ah, a cheap and satisfying solution for once!

Mine rubbed and rattled on the para-link until I took my Dremel-alike to it, cut out a small rectangular section and snorted Carbon dust like a crack addict!

Brian (who had a more drastic solution for his fender whatsit that also chirped and rattled)