Author Topic: Is it Me  (Read 3848 times)

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
Is it Me
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:08:56 pm »
this is not really a moan at Alan Jefferies but just my thoughts, bought the bike K1300GT EE in February, I know i said I would never buy another BMW and to buy the same bike!!! Washed it and the paint came off in two lumps on the shaft drive and contact them. AJ were good and said they would either touch up the paint work for free or redo the whole shaft drive which would cost £250 and they would do this 50/50 so I would only pay £125. Thought this was best option and nice of them, also they asked if I wanted a complimentary bike and I said yes.

so today went down the 97 miles and handed over my bike and paid the £125. then had thoughts would the real cost be £125 and all they are doing is not making a profit on this. Then I was told, for the first time, about the "cost" of the complimentary bike. well it is free if you are happy with a £1000 excess, however some bugger could hit me on the bike and i would be £1000 short and of course the paint problem not my fault and should be BMW responsibility.

however for only £15 per day I could reduce the excess to £250, ok 8 days as only able to go back the next Saturday and the complimentary bike is costing me £120. To be fair Dan at AJ said he could put me on for one day then when bike was tucked up in garage revert to free insurance and then put back on £15 for day it is returned

well I was told that probably they would have a delivery and could return it which would save me money when I spoke to them on phone now talking to Dan it is a possibility so who knows.

I am not aiming this at AJ as I presume all BMW dealers do this but if I had known I would have got a mate to pick me up. sometime a free offer is not so free

Graham

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
Re: Is it Me
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »
Sounds like they are taking the piss.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:49:31 pm »
I get to see both sides of the counter the object of the excercise is for the dealer to stay in business dishing out free bikes with no comeback on the customer is not the way to do it,if your under 25 then your not old enough to have worked out there's no such thing as a free lunch if your older than that then you should know better.

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:51:49 pm »
My local Honda car dealer never charges me for a loan car....

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:52:25 pm »
Well, Ive never been charged anything from Dick Lovetts including the time they lent me a brand new never ridden before 1200GS WC, and I had it for 3 weeks and put 1000 miles on it. To be honest I dont remember what excess I might have been charged, but then again my own insurance also covers me on any bikes lent to me and thats on a �250 excess. I have built up a pretty good relationship with DL and have spent a fair amount of coin with them over the last 3 years though
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:14:06 pm by Phmode »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 05:53:13 pm »
BMW have their own bank the 3easy finance program is running thru their own bank. Simultaneously they have their own insurance company or in some countries work with a local firm. In any case bikes and cars should and here are offered free of charge and fully covered by BMW insurance for as long time as the repair takes. Test drive and complementary vehicles both cars and bikes are offered after booking.
I bet BMW insurance is covering all BMW cars and motorcycles there as all over the rest of the world through their own insurance company and bank.
This is the first time i hear that charges are applied to a customer for a complementary vehicle quite his bike is kept for repairs.
As a matter of fact all dealers from all brands offer their complementary vehicles free of any charge and fully insured.
For example last week they gave me a F800GS for two days (a bike for riders over 1,85 cm not for me), for next week booked a demo BMW 435D coupe for three days.
The week after they take delivery of the new S1000XT and the new R1200RS have booked them for two days each.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 06:15:49 pm »
I know of a dealer that will charge you for a test ride!! Buy a bike you'll get your money back and I 'd certainly check the excess you'll find most run into 1000's.

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »
Chris

well would not go there, though have heard dealers who will not let you have a pillion when trying out a new bike, as this is a key factor for me re new bike it is a must!!!

Graham

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:17 pm »
Graham

I have actually had that situation but I had 3 years on the other side of the counter and like any story there's two sides I've had a guy break a 15 grand bike in half and been complain because he had to pay �1000 excess(some years ago)

The bottom line is How many people do you let loose on your bike? The reality people don't give a shit they don't own it if your desperate you'll pay if your not then you won't but we are back to my other post if your of a certain age you'll have learned there's no such thing as a free lunch
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:14:14 pm by Phmode »

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 09:17:57 pm »
agree Chris, I did make the point that I was not having a go at AJ more that I feel I was gullible to think I was having a wonderful deal paying half the price. if I was to be critical AJ should have told me about the costs re insurance before I turned up.

However so far my view of them is positive and agree about there is no such thing as a free lunch!!

Graham

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 09:24:18 pm »
If you read my post about my abs going belly up the the first thing Clarkes said we'll sort you a spare bike out because of the hiccup they were having and I turned it down flat,different situation what Tim had but I'm not one for jumping on strange bikes at the best of times but that's just my odd quirk  :)