Author Topic: MCN 2020 Best Sports Touring Tyres  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
MCN 2020 Best Sports Touring Tyres
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:19:52 am »
Linky

The main point of interest for me is they have Dunlop, and Continental, and Bridgestone in the list.

Metzeler wins, and Dunlop 2nd. Interesting that even from the stock photos one can see the different profiles. Obviously this article doesn't take longevity into consideration, and their testing, inevitably, is subjective.

Annoyingly it has tempted me to call BMW and change my order!

Oh yes and the big fail of the test I almost forgot, they ordered the normal Road 5 and not the fatty BMW GT.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: MCN 2020 Best Sports Touring Tyres
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:27:04 am »
It's very strange that they didn't use the GT Road wotsit.

And I'm always amazed at how different tyres 'suit' some bikes more than others, even across a wide range of rider demographics. Sorry, should have warned of a big word coming up but tooearly for the brain to be engaged...

And, for the penny-pinching among us, we have no idea of useful life comparisons.

But you are right Matt, the profile difference is obvious even to me and I'm still 😴

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:36:10 am »
I can't wait to get the new tyres on. As Richard will attest these Battlax things are dead, but also even in isolation (ha) it's obvious how much flatter their profile is than anything I've had before. But even then it's so easy to turn, so the proper curvy stuff will be great!

Has everyone seen the FortNine video on tyres? I would link but I'm in spine agony so maybe later.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:50:22 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Roadsmart III's.  I had three rears and two fronts on the previous bike, and they are excellent.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:51:51 am »
FortNine Tyres Video

He looks twelve, is apparently a bit older than me, grew up on bikes and their productions on youtube are amazing quality.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 12:10:18 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Roadsmart III's.  I had three rears and two fronts on the previous bike, and they are excellent.

Jeez, a five-wheeled bike... ;D

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »

Jeez, a five-wheeled bike... ;D

Boom, boom!
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 09:24:55 pm »
Road 5 is no longer recommended for the K1600 - the 190/55 is actually 203mm wide an can rub on the swingarm. Some do, some don’t  :o

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 08:29:14 am »
FortNine Tyres Video

He looks twelve, is apparently a bit older than me, grew up on bikes and their productions on youtube are amazing quality.

... and he has a shot of an H2 SX SE in the video!   :D

I think the key point about motorcycle tyres these days is that as long as you stick to the mainstream manufacturers it's nearly impossible to buy a bad tyre.  Gone are the days when many of us started biking where you literally took your life in your hands fitting the latest rubber from Japan or riding a new Japanese bike with OEM rubber on.

Long gone is the Avon SM with it's square profile and ability wear groves in solid granite without losing any of its tread.

As a satisfied PR5 user I would normally be reluctant to change. I did try the Metzler on my K1300S and loved it appart from the fact it white lined very badly from very early on, which was a real pain for commuting into London.  Since lockdown has curtailed my commuting,  and I'm on a different bike, I may give it another go.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 10:02:56 am »
FortNine Tyres Video

... and he has a shot of an H2 SX SE in the video!   :D

I think the key point about motorcycle tyres these days is that as long as you stick to the mainstream manufacturers it's nearly impossible to buy a bad tyre.  Gone are the days when many of us started biking where you literally took your life in your hands fitting the latest rubber from Japan or riding a new Japanese bike with OEM rubber on.

Long gone is the Avon SM with it's square profile and ability wear groves in solid granite without losing any of its tread.

As a satisfied PR5 user I would normally be reluctant to change. I did try the Metzler on my K1300S and loved it appart from the fact it white lined very badly from very early on, which was a real pain for commuting into London.  Since lockdown has curtailed my commuting,  and I'm on a different bike, I may give it another go.

Aha, only starting in '08 I've been quite fortunate to avoid all that! I imagine that caused a lot of limping beginners.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 10:41:51 am »
Let's just say that back in the day, you didn't see lean angles on race tracks that are now common on the road.

Can't remember where I read/heard it but some eejit was saying that a good tyre will be a good tyre no matter what it is fitted to. Try telling that to the guys at Red Bull and Mercedes; at the Silverstone races Mercedes were shredding their Pirellis and Red Bull weren't and then at Catalunya Mercedes were sailing fair to victory while Max was bitching and whinging about his tyres having gone after a handful of laps.

Current bike tyres aren't quite the same lottery (and makers don't change the mix for every set you buy) but I'll still stick to the Michelins until there is a concensus about a better all-round tyre for use in the UK and very few tyre comparison tests run the tyres till they are shot.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 10:59:52 am »
Currently into Michelins  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 11:01:47 am »
 :D :D :D

revd

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »
Personally I'm into PR5's and found them to be long lasting and excellent grip wet/dry and on overbanding and white lines. Being a longtime commuter, I'm now switching to the K1200R as a fun bike, so will look for something similar.  I'll still ride sensibly, but might do track days if time/money permit.