Author Topic: Tyres recomendations from varius companies  (Read 14679 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Tyres recomendations from varius companies
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:14 am »
Thought I might start looking for a new set no6, my DUNLOP reached the 6000 limit that I expect from my tires to last, they still look good but to tell you the truth I never felt very confident with them, it was a wrong selection that I was forced to make cause Michelin transferred its seat in Romania and although they are using Greek speaking operators they are not very keen to assist, tires after order arrive via UPS after 10 days or simply never arrive as found two years ago.
So the market offers:
CONTINENTAL: CONTI ROAD ATTAC 2 GT version for touring and HYPER for sport, around 310 e.
AVON: 3D ULTRA SPORT  for sport and STORM 3D X-M for touring and sport, around 330 e.
BRIDGESTONE: S20 EVO, BT-16, BT-16PRO for sport, T-30,T 30EVO, BT-23 for touring, and S20 for sport-touring, from 270 to 330 e.
DUNLOP: SPORTMAX Q3 for sport, ROAD SMARTII for touring, around 320 e.
PIRELLI: ANGEL ST for sport and GT for touring, also available DIABLO ROSSOII for touring and CORSA for sport, from 340 to 370 e.
I thing I'll go this time for PIRELLI. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:01:39 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
Re: Tyres recomendations from varius companies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:28:10 am »
Costas,
I've heard a lot of good reports about the Pirelli Angels I'm on the PR3's at the moment and due for a change so I'm going to give the Angels a go. And the name 'Angel' is far nicer than PR3.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:07 am »
My (limited) experience:
- DUNLOP: SPORTMAX: came with the K13S secondhand and really not nice handling. The ones below were both better when worn.

- PIRELLI: ANGEL GT A: ('A' for the heftier ones), Swapped to these, and I definitely like the handling far better, but the front wore a little quicker than expected (6,300 miles). The rear is still going reasonbly strong at 8,000ish.

- MICHELIN: PR4 front: now running on this, initially doesn't feel as grippy as the Pirelli front, and not as stable, but I'm getting used to it.

The reason for swapping to Michelin is because you lot rave about them lasting 8,000+.
I'm not yet convinced about them, but spring & summer will reveal longevity & grip...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:50:21 am by richtea »

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:09:31 am »
Costa, I have Avon Storm 3D XM on my K1200 RS, they are superb, grip,handling, braking and comfort. I will certainly be fitting them to my K1300 GT when the time comes.

JS
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »
I tried the Avon 3D XM and the front got warped very quickly and I went back to Avon Storm Ultra 2's.
I've had PR3's too and found them a bit squirmy over white lines in the wet.
It's Storm Ultra 2's for me until they discontinue them.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »
For a better and more completed list add
METZELER: ROADTEC Z8 INTERACT for touring and SPORTEC M3 for sport, around 340 euros.
Embrace the wind.

Offline ddtrash

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic exhaust, Wunderlich Levers, HID lights
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:38:05 am »
Does anyone have any experience of the Pirelli Angel GT tyres?   I am after some new rubber for my K1300s and have heard good things about the Angel GT.

The somewhat mixed reviews of the Michelin PR4 here on the forum have me thinking about other current good solutions for the bike.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:50 am »
Forget the 4 unless you are a submarine commander, go with the 3 if you want Michelin. You won't be disappointed!

Brian (who did the 4 but is going back to 3's)

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Nope. The PR4s on my K13GT are just the job, and better than PR3 in both wet and dry conditions. Also, the PR3s I previously had did indeed last for approx 8k miles.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:48 pm »
I wouldn't use either of e'm I like a little more input from my tyres thanks  ;) don't see why I should do all the work  ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:34:35 am »
Does anyone have any experience of the Pirelli Angel GT tyres?   I am after some new rubber for my K1300s and have heard good things about the Angel GT.

The somewhat mixed reviews of the Michelin PR4 here on the forum have me thinking about other current good solutions for the bike.

Me! (see earlier in the thread).
They're actually GT A rather than plain GT. I like them, but I've not been through all the other options yet to be able to say they're the best. Bu they're the best out of three I've tried.
It may take a while to get through all the other choices. And by then the PR5 will be upon us!

Offline ddtrash

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic exhaust, Wunderlich Levers, HID lights
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:55:44 am »
Rich, thanks for the feedback.

I spotted that the 'A' spec double carcass tyre was available for the K1300s.  Have you got 'A' spec front and rear tyres or just the rear?  Having waded through the Pirelli recommendation charts they reckon that the 'A' spec tyre should be used front and rear on the K1300s.

Out of interest what are the other two types of tyre you have used on the bike??

I just missed a free fitment deal on the Angel GT's at my local tyre dealer. The deal this month is for free fitting on Michelin tyres.  I wonder if the Pilot Power 3's are any good on the K??

Offline brian63

• Ex K owner
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RS
  • Modifications and add-ons:: garmin,pmr radio with remote arial,Auto Com
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
If you want to save some money  and don't when you could swim
The pr 2 will give good. Grip and ware 7k on a rear om my k1300s
Brian

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:12 pm »
Rich, thanks for the feedback.

I spotted that the 'A' spec double carcass tyre was available for the K1300s.  Have you got 'A' spec front and rear tyres or just the rear?  Having waded through the Pirelli recommendation charts they reckon that the 'A' spec tyre should be used front and rear on the K1300s.

Out of interest what are the other two types of tyre you have used on the bike??

I just missed a free fitment deal on the Angel GT's at my local tyre dealer. The deal this month is for free fitting on Michelin tyres.  I wonder if the Pilot Power 3's are any good on the K??

Both were/are 'A' spec, yes.

The 'A' spec rear is still on at 8,500 miles, and it gives a little white-lining, and it spun once on a wet white line, but that was user error.
But hey -  8,500 and me have never met before! I reckon it's got 500-1,000 left. Strangely, the depth markers are quite a long way round the tyre (i.e. no where near central - unless I've missed those marks), which means with my - er - 'classic' upright scaredy riding style, that its got a fair bit of wear to go.

The previous rear was a Dunlop Sportmax - didn't like it at all, but I didn't fit that one (previous owner did), so maybe I didn't get to play with it at its best.

The front lasted about 6,300, which is great for me, but I thought I'd try a Michelin - so the front is now is a PR4.
Not as good as the Angel handling-wise (can't vouch for longevity yet), but better than the Dunlop. Its not scary, just not as planted. Like I said - I may get used to it.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 05:20:08 pm »
I wish you do but I seriously doubt it. The PR3 or 4 are excellent for wet tarmac.
But IMHO there are no tires with better handling than PIRELLI's , the feeling of secure is superb. And they love K13 big bulky long bike with the weight ratio that fits them perfectly.
Embrace the wind.