Author Topic: new member - looking to buy a k1200s - advice sought  (Read 6740 times)

Offline mark_w2018

• View Profile
new member - looking to buy a k1200s - advice sought
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:54:20 pm »
evening all, just joined as i'm thinking or buying a 2006 k1200s. i have recently sold a gsxr1000 and am looking for a good, useful, fast road bike that is a little less extreme, and have seen a particular machine for sale today which interests me. it is a 2006 1200s, with a bit of service history, last being worked on 3 years ago in a main dealers. it looks to have had some work done on the linkages in the front end. it has done 28000 miles with 5 owners. it is on sale for mid £3ks at a dealer with a 30 day warranty. it looks really well cared for, the only mod from standard seems to be a Laser end can. please talk to me about these, what i should look at, questions i should ask.  :)

gibbo

Re: new member - looking to buy a k1200s - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:46:03 am »
Hello Mark and welcome to the EuroK Club.

You've gone and opened a huge can of worms with those questions and no doubt they'll be members who'll give you advice on the 1200S and the better built 1300S.

If it were me I'd forget the 1200S and go for the 1300S. OK, so a little more pricey but worth it. Full service history is preferable with these bikes as is a BMW warranty/breakdown cover (approx. £370 p.a.).

Good luck.  ;)

PS I believe one of our forum members (richtea) is selling his 1300S as he's bought a replacement. Looks a nice buy and at a very affordable price too.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:52:37 am by gibbo »

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:11 am »
You'll be quite a lot better off with a 2007 onwards bike, as they don't have the servo-assisted brakes.

Things to check (ie known areas for trouble) include:

Clutch engagement (might be a bit clunky)
Clutch noises when running/changing gear
Gearbox - accelerate hard in all gears to check it doesn't slip out of gear
Front ball joints
Wheel bearings
Paintwork, esp engine casings, front forks and rear drive
Service history - valve clearance check would've been due around 24,000 mls
Warranty - I'd want a lot more than 30 days. Under UK law, if anything goes wrong in the first 6 months, it's down to the dealer to prove the fault wasn't there when he sold the bike, so why is this dealer only offering 30 days? Does he not think it'll last 6 months?

Last thing - they're a nosy bunch on this forum, so it's considered polite to introduce yourself in the new members section. Also, if you out your location on your profile, nearby members may well offer to help - if you're anywhere near me, I'll happily go look at a bike with you. Would cost you a pint mind...

Good luck anyway!

Steve

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:25:28 am »

If it were me I'd forget the 1200S and go for the 1300S. OK, so a little more pricey but worth it. Full service history is preferable with these bikes as is a BMW warranty/breakdown cover (approx. £370 p.a.).

PS I believe one of our forum members (richtea) is selling his 1300S as he's bought a replacement. Looks a nice buy and at a very affordable price too.

Plug:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3145.0

I have no shame.  ;D

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37:06 am »
I love my 2007  K 1200s and would disagree with the majority here who own K13s that you should go for a K13. However I must agree with the suggestion that a 2007/8 K12S would be far better than the earlier
servo assisted models.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 09:21:27 am »
I love my 2007  K 1200s and would disagree with the majority here who own K13s that you should go for a K13. However I must agree with the suggestion that a 2007/8 K12S would be far better than the earlier
servo assisted models.

Ah, but have you ever tasted the fobidden fruit of a K13? ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 10:49:48 am »
Hi Mark and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub.

There are a few members in here who have owned both the K12S and the K13S, black-k1 (David), TomL (Tom) Phmode (Brian, myself) and a couple of others.

All agree on one thing, if we were in the market for a K today, even with a limited budget, we would go for the K13 over the K12.

The K12 had niggling fuelling issues, dodgy (but VERY powerful) servo brakes and a rather wooden feeling chassis. I'm not saying the 13 is perfect (hot start issues, paint peeling, clutch squeals and judders etc.) but I would NEVER buy a 12 again.

With 5 owners, you have to ask yourself 'why?'. Mine had four previous owners and I found out why the hard way. None of them could cope with, nor fix, the fuelling issues.

Only part service history with a K is a no-no! Privately serviced (like TomL, TomK1300S and many others) complete with a wad of receipts and entries in the service book are OK too. Patchy service history? Nope, sorry.

These bikes can be fragile and finicky and my advice would be:

Don't buy a K12S, spend a little extra on a K13S, you will (probably) spend the extra money in the end anyway if you buy an early K12S, and possibly a later one too.

If it has to be a K12S, then buy at least a 2007 onward model with at least a full dealer service history (correct oils and brake fluids used and on time), the fewer owners the better (bike loved and cared for, not moved on quickly when something goes wrong) and take out the BMW Extended Warranty.

Shop around, get a well maintained, low-mileage K13S and you will be far happier in the long run.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 11:05:57 am by Phmode »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:50:30 am »
servo assisted models.
You have been lucky Kim as was Bobtail but you are in a minority.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:39 pm »
Sadly true Rae, they have a pretty poor reputation.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:36:53 pm »
Hi Mark, own almost exactly the bike you are looking at and very similar history, ownership mileage. A budget is a budget, and to be honest I've had minimal bother with my K12 and think that there's always a propensity for scare stories on forums.

You'll find it a big change from the gixxer, a lot heavier, but mountains of power and torque. I've ridden a 13 a few times, personally I think it's an evolution but not as radically different as some seem to say and it has its own issues. I also think the 12 is actually nicer looking.

Only real bugbear on mine is the fuel strip used for the fuel guage, it's a poor item and fails a lot (on any model it's fitted to) you just have to get used to using the trip.

The servo brakes are different but very powerful and again I don't have an issue with them.

Fact is buying any used bike is a lottery, even the best kept full history machines can let you down. Have a good long demo ride and take it from there. I think they're a great bike and being slightly unfashionable (everyone wants a giant trailie these days) awesome value for money.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:39:42 pm by MadMountainbike »
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 08:40:14 pm »
I don't think people put out scare stories they just relay their own experiences.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 08:50:20 pm »
There's always a propensity to discuss negative aspects. Especially if you're justifying a bigger spend to yourself. No point advising someone to buy a K13 if you have a K12 budget and as I say, mine's great and there are far worse choices of bike out there.

If you're half reasonable with a spanner you can keep most bikes running. I covered a 120k+ on my old GS, and big miles on both of my Aprilia Mille's and Ducati (all just as finicky to work on as the K).

The K12 is the only four I've enjoyed as much as the twins.
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 08:53:58 pm »
I tried discussing the positives and extolling the virtues of my FJR but nobody wants to hear the bike is great and hasn't broken down yet.
They also didn't want hear that I hadn't needed two new clutches, two sets of ball joints a complete new cam chain assembly and a hot start issue, shall I go on  ;)

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 09:04:50 pm »
FJR's a nice bike, we use some for the Blood Bikes. You seem to misinterpret the point. If you have a budget and it doesn't run to a newer K13 then there's nothing wrong with a K12.

The FJR isn't quite as sporty in the styling as the K (performance is moot, any big bike is quicker than any of us will ever need) so if Mark's coming from a gixxer then I can see the appeal of a K.

Appreciate you had issues, but that doesn't mean they're all terrible. I've owned two Hondas a Blackbird and a VFR 'with their legendary reliability' and both were a nightmare. The K12 hasn't been.

Like I said, used bikes are a lottery, do your due diligence and go with what tickles your fancy. The K12's not a bad choice.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:06:31 pm by MadMountainbike »

Offline mark_w2018

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 09:14:19 pm »
here's a link to the advert if it will work. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-06-BMW-K1200S-1200CC-0-DEPOSIT-FINANCE-AVAILABLE/362329284306?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

they only offer a 30 day warranty with everything, they're like a bike version of a car supermarket - you buy the machine as it is - unless it's unsafe or has no oil! but they are cheap. i can have a comprehensive warranty for an extra £250, which may be an idea! i've had big sports tourers before, blackbird, 2 zzr1100s, so if these are a bit like that then that will be a good thing.
i must say, the list of likely faults is a bit worrying, with a quality brand like BMW i would expect better - i have a 3 series car which is brilliant. in 8 years my gsxr never went wrong, only servicing. this k12 has had some work done on the front end and some big bills in the service history - 700 quid in 2014 including front end work and sorting out a clutch noise. i'm going to have to think about this one....