Author Topic: Pirelli Angel GT II  (Read 18899 times)

Offline DouglasM

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2015 K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Stock
Re: Pirelli Angel GT II
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 07:27:27 pm »
Don't confuse the Angel GT with the Angel GT II

My friend made that mistake. There was a sale on tyres so he ordered a pair and they delivered Angel GT II's

He had to pay shipping across the states to return them. He then bought Angel GT's locally.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 08:08:59 pm »
Why would he reject GT IIs in favour of the older GTs

Offline DouglasM

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2015 K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Stock
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 02:58:31 pm »
Why would he reject GT IIs in favour of the older GTs

I removed my statement after I did my own research and yes the new GT 2 tread pattern is designed with more wet weather protection compared to the GT. And the reviews are real good. 

I myself have not rode a bike fitted with GT2's so I can't voice my opinion.     
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:45:27 pm by DouglasM »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:59 pm »
After a few hundred miles I reckon they are grippy in the dry, no hint of squirming. They feel the same as GT 1s. Mind you, I haven't been down to the edge yet, I might never.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 07:22:49 am »
The original GTs are far more capable than I am, so I will continue to use them until they are no longer available and then I'll move over to GT IIs. I have only just fitted a pair of the originals so it'll be 7 or 8 thousand miles before I need another set.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 04:00:45 pm »
II are far morw capable than first version. Version one lasted 9000 kms , the newest Version ΙΙ in 5 months have now reached 6000 kms, recoment them , they are far better in road a d a pleasent surprise in track.
Wet performance is by far the best in every aspect , compared to any other tyre used so far. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:16:35 pm by richtea »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 08:03:40 pm »
Put a pair of GT(A)’s on Event Horizon 2 about 5000 miles ago and luv em, for my riding, twisty A and B roads wet or dry, riding at 7/10th because I like to see where I’m going before I get there can’t fault them, no dramas even in the wet they just grip and go.
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Wiliferus

• Matt
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: ABS/Traction Control, Quickshift, Lava Orange
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 08:00:46 am »
Have had a set of GTII’s on my K13R for a few months now, have probably covered 2k miles or so. A yardstick is tricky as when I bought the bike it was wearing a pair of Roadtecs but they were very dead and very square!
The Angels are very surefooted in the dry, no squirming, no white line wobble and crucially are solid under heavy braking.
Due to the months that I’ve had them I’ve only had cause to ride them in the damp but they seemed nicely planted and inspired confidence. I’m no knee down hero in any weathers but I certainly wasn’t afraid to lean it over on the damp road.
I can’t really comment on wear yet, as I say 2k miles in and wear seems negligible. My commute is fast A roads and some twisty B’s so I’m hoping to keep the rear nice and round..

When I bought them I was torn between these and the PR5, the PR5 being the high rated known quantity, and the Angels being new. As things stand, I’m not in any way disappointed. They cater for my riding style, the acid test will be wear.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 09:56:07 am »
Will be getting a set of these on Wednesday. Finally got a puncture on the Roadtec rear, tried to repair it and slightly made things worse. So that was enough excuse to replace!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 11:22:18 am »
I'm starting my trip to the Pyrenees on a brand new set of Angel GT II's on Wednesday. I'll let know how they ride...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 12:11:44 pm »
I'm starting my trip to the Pyrenees on a brand new set of Angel GT II's on Wednesday. I'll let know how they ride...
I will be very interested in you thoughts Philippe.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 04:12:18 pm »
Angel GT II As fitted today, at short notice - I didn't realise I was looking at only some of the Metz depth markers. Whoops.  :o

Pirelli still have their 2-for-1 offer going, which meant a pleasantly low outlay of £234, including fitting, at Wheelhouse.

The outgoing Metzeler Roadtec 01s managed a creditable 7.7k miles with my delicate gorilla grip. They weren't as good as the older Angel GT A, but not much worse - probably just personal preference. They lasted an extra 500-1000 miles compared to the old Angels. However, the tread starting lifting a little on the front right side, which I've seen before on other tyres, but maybe not as pronounced as this:

I'll let you know how I get on with the GT IIs in a month or so.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2019, 04:18:27 pm »
I 'assume' that the tread 'lifting' is in fact 'feathering', normally of the trailing edge of the tread block/leading edge of the sipe which is perfectly normal.

Ye canna change the laws of physics Jim  :D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »
My highly informal few hundred miles in review:

Yeah good. Confidence inspiring, feel like I'm happy throwing it around more. Although tbh after the CSS and then you lot, and trying to apply what I've learned, it's likely more me than any standout feature of the tyres. So I'll say they're as good as the Roadtec so far.

Not sure if I'll get to use them at the next CSS though.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 04:06:51 pm »
See mopedreifen.de - now they did a review on both a GS and a GSX-S1000. To be found here (you may want to activate the automated undertitles, but I have the impression the automatic translation translates somewhat "loosely").

The main riding impression he has is that it lasts "exorbitantly" long (his words). On the GS, he claims he never did 7000 km with a same set of tyres, but did it now with the Angel GT II. He is more positive to have it tested on the GSX-S1000 than he is on the GS. And one thing me mentions (and which I also noticed on my holiday trip to the Pyrenees - 4500 kilometers in total, of which aroud 1500 km highway) is that the tyre doesn't show clearly when its limits are reached. I myself never ever got a warning that it was "enough" i.e. that its limits were reached. Of course, this may very well mean I never reached its limits alltogether - I only just reached the end of its tread every now and then : "it takes II to tango". Some would maybe have tried to push its limits further than I did.

I myself am positive as to its willingness (correct English ?) to flip it from one side to the other. And its precision in doing so.

Longivity note : measuring profile depth when new and comparing to what they are now, I could extrapolate that the front would last 9000 km, the rear 6500 km.

There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...