Author Topic: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S  (Read 17233 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:36:30 pm »
I fitted one half of the HID kit to the main beam today. Half an hour from start to finish but I have done it before.

Here is the kit I bought off ebay from ULTRA-HIDS. It is a 55watt 6,000k car kit, Canbus ready....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-55W-SLIM-Ballast-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-10000K-50W-Metal-/262765431106?hash=item3d2e0a4942

...and select 6,000/H7 for the best colour and bulb fitment type.

and this is what you get for your money....

The two black boxes connected together are the Canbus error cancelling capacitors which are not needed on our bikes, everything just works as it should.

This is one half of the car kit....

and this is it all connected up prior to installation, all foolproof connectors that only go one way, apart from the power leads....

For those who have never fitted an HID kit before, there is really nothing to it, technically, on the S bikes; can't speak for the R or the GT, as I have never been inside one. However, you must keep the ignition OFF while doing the install and don't be tempted to 'try' anything before you have all the connections made as you can get seriously dead from 23,000 volts, even at not many milliamps!

This shot shows the two spade terminals (top right) that simply push into the connector that you pull off the back of the original bulb.

That is the only thing you need to do to your original fitment; no cutting or shutting of wires or anything remotely scary. This also means that, should you choose, you can simply revert back to your original bulb. In fact, I always carry the original bulb with me just in case the HID electronics pack up, that way I can always stick the bulb back in and be on my way again without having to remove the entire kit, merely the burner.

I took the screen off as it is easier to get to the bits that way. Here is the left main with the cover removed....

I fit the HID into the left main and use a Philips X-treme Vision +130% in the other main; this gives 'instant on' for the Philips and no waiting for the HID to come up to speed before you can see where you are going.

First thing to do is remove the old bulb, instructions in the user manual if you haven't done it before. Then, with the power socket and the bulb retention spring held out of the way, it is time to fit the burner, the 'bulb' of the HID. I have to say that the fitting of the H7 bulbs and burners in the K1300S isn't anywhere near as straightforward as other H7 fittings I have used; nowhere near as solid a location and difficult to get the bulb feeling like it is correctly fitted! Looking in the front of the headlight whilst fiddling with the bulb is the best way to make sure it is in correctly, you can both feel it and see it. When it looks right, it is right.

However, having got the burner in place and with all the cables tucked out of the way, like this....

it is time to get the boxes of tricks fitted.

Now, the instructions tell you all about cutting a hole in the cover and routing the cables through it and mounting the Ballast and the Ignitor and somewhere about the bike. None of this is necessary on the K12/13S as all the hardware and cables fit 'neatly' inside the headlight shell as long as you are not anal about everything being properly cleated and fixed in place as if it were an aircraft installation; I'm not, obviously!

The Ballast in the kit I bought is larger than the one I have fitted in the K12S and just about fits through the back of the headlight shell opening. This shot shows the size of the Ballast I bought....

It is 100mm long by 70mm wide by 17mm thick.

The trick to installation is to envisage where the Ballast (the big silver box) is going to end up; in my case, for the main, it is going to end up above the top of the reflector above the bulb. It will go through the aperture if you offer it up as if you were holding a credit card in your right hand so that you can read the wording. In other words, just like it is in the phot above. That way, it slides into the housing from right to left and I then simply twisted it clockwise and shoved it up out of the way. On the 12, I wrapped some anti-slip flubber round the Ballast, like this....

to stop it rattling about, but I couldn't get this one in with the flubber on so I removed it and merely shoved it in after the Ballast was inside the shell, packing it between the Ballast and the shell to stop it from rubbing against the plastic housing. I used the anti-slip flubber as it has holes in it to stop the Ballast from overheating in the confines of the shell. To be honest, unless you are riding the Road of Bones, I doubt you will ever use your main beam for long enough to get anything to overheat in our overcrowded little island!

Once the Ballast is in the shell, I merely stuffed the Igniter in behind it, folded all the cables in, pushed the two spade terminals into the original connector, eased that in last and finally put the cover back on. This is a shot of it all in situ prior to re-fitting the cover....

and it may not look pretty, but it is all in there, nothing can go wrong and never has on the 12 in the 2 years it has been in there.

Now then, the only connections that aren't fool-proofed are the two spade terminals, one black, one red, that go into the original bulb connector. One might assume, like I did, that red goes to brown and black to white with a yellow stripe. Nope! But don't worry if you get them the wrong way round as the only thing that happens is nothing happens. It merely doesn't work. So do a functional test before you stuff the connector back in the shell and you will be good to go.

This is a shot of the finished article as seen from the business end of the burner....

As you can see, a lot more light from the burner than from the adjacent bulb, which is the Philips +130 item and that is giving off a lot more light than the standard dip bulb above it.

When I first got the bike the headlight beam was so low I couldn't see to ride it in the dark even on main beam with the adjuster on the 'High' setting. I have since adjusted it up to somewhere near correct but I need to be out in the dark to do a final level setting and bearing in mind my previous issue with dip and main not being 'aligned' correctly for me, I will do that with the standard bulb in place before fitting the HID to the dip.

I will report back on what it is like after I have done that, but if the HID in the dip gives anything at all like a bad cut-off, then it will be coming out pronto; I'm not one who likes to be dazzled or to dazzle others!

Brian (who thinks it a half hour well spent and the whiskey is slowly warming the parts the central heating can't reach  ;D )

PS All credit and thanks to David (black-k1) for his original installation of HID kits on his bike and showing me how his looked when finished!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:55:56 pm by Phmode »

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
Re: Fitting an HID kit to a K12/1300S
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:16:39 pm »
Great write up! glad to say my GT already has a factory fit Xenon light  8)
as an aside, that white plastic doo hickey in picture 6...don't lose it! without it the light points at the sky, and they are not available as a spare!!  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:54:22 pm »
Er, yes! The immortal headlight up/down adjuster. There was a similarly stupid bit of placky in the headlamp assy of my first Audi A6 which broke off with similar results and equally unobtainable.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:31:30 am »
Big surprise no issues during installation
Embrace the wind.

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:52:38 am »
Great write up! glad to say my GT already has a factory fit Xenon light  8)
as an aside, that white plastic doo hickey in picture 6...don't lose it! without it the light points at the sky, and they are not available as a spare!!  :o

Ah that's factory fitted dip isn't it?

I've got HID on both my mains and they fire up quickly anyway. The bit you need to "communicate in a nice and gentle fashion with the kind and generous car driver in front" is the bright "flash" when HID comes on. Does wonders...

I've never had a problem with the speed of the mains, started using HID main on my last K12LT in 2005
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »
I too have no problem with the speed of the HID firing; there is a discernable 'blip' as you say but nothing my eyes can detect when I'm riding.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:55:12 pm »
Lovely write up Brian, thanks.  I um and arr about these and then just ride half blind instead... and still think it's too cold to fit my additional lights!  I eagerly await your dipped experience, so to speak.  I can handle half hour or so of fiddling about down there.  Ahem.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:27:54 pm »
Lovely write up Brian, thanks.  I um and arr about these and then just ride half blind instead... and still think it's too cold to fit my additional lights!  I eagerly await your dipped experience, so to speak.  I can handle half hour or so of fiddling about down there.  Ahem.

We could do a mini-meet and just get em stuffed in!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 04:24:56 pm »
When I originally fitted HIDs to my previous K1300S I changed all 3 units. While the "start up" time of the main beam didn't cause any issues 99% of the time, I did find that, just occasionally, I would notice the delayed start up. When I did notice it tended to be in situations where a fast start up would have made things just a little safer.

When I replaced one of the main beam units with a 100w halogen bulb, I got the best of all worlds:- Instant start up, lots of light. Given that the cheapest and easiest way to get HID kits is in pairs for car fitting, I would definitely recommend the 2 x HID (dip and main) and 1 x 100w halogen combination.

It also means that should you be unlucky enough to run into the ill informed Austrian policeman that Old Git James came across a couple of years ago, who insists you remove your HID dip beam at the road side with him watching, then you can swap the halogen unit into the dip location.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:34:19 pm »
The problem with 'slow days' in Austria is that there are probably lots of slow days in Austria so the feds have to do something to liven up their day  8)

I imagine it would irk them more than a little if you merely pulled the burner and slipped a bulb in. 'Cartainly occifer! Anything else I can help you with?'  ::)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:15:30 pm »
Did nt you had mentioned that incident with the Austrian in previus forum?
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:13:31 pm »
I like the high output halogen as the high beam bulbs.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 11:21:15 pm »
Me too Tom, but there is something about watching the sun come up instantly with an HID in there!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 11:24:29 am »
Ok I've gone done ordered the HID kit!  After seeing you behind me at the pub yesterday I thought "oh look, lights" and so it happened.

I'm a natural story teller.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 09:49:58 pm »
If you wanna stuff em in one lunchtime or wweeekday evening I can pop over to yours and hold the towel while you sweat; we could even interrogate your fault codes with my GS-911 at the same time  8)