Author Topic: Headlamp conversions and MOT  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Headlamp conversions and MOT
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:03:44 am »
This is in the latest gov. MOT instructions...LEDs now in trouble.

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Headlamp conversions and MOT
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:40 am »
Blimey didn’t know that....another challenge to beat the system  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:35 am »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:12:52 am by raesewell »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 10:25:59 am »
All it actually means is that once a year, your MoT preparation includes swapping a halogen bulb into the headlight then post MoT, swapping the HID/LED back again. Less than 2 mins for either job.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:07:57 am »
Obviously as a forum we cannot endorse this procedure and you do this at your own risk of breaking the law.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 11:17:02 am »
Agree Rae, just like we don't endorse exceeding a speed limit which, luckily, is something none of us do! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 12:43:24 pm »
Have a couple bikes with HID fitted for the single purpose of the Monday night ride home when we got off the Portsmouth ferry at 9pm on the way home from Le-Mans in April, because I was seeing way too much wild life cross the road at that time of night till we got up to the M40.

In the end had a change of plan and off the boat and straight round the corner to the Ibis, early breakfast and still home before 11am.

So the HID became a minor detail in the end, and hence why I haven’t bothered with later bikes.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »
This is in the latest gov. MOT instructions...LEDs now in trouble.

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Hey Andy, can you source this please? i.e. pretend it's A levels and you have to name your sources when you insist in your essay that dogs can't look left. :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 04:26:06 pm »
Ok I went and had a look anyway (what a waste of internet!) and as I am pleased with my progress today, I will now list what I think are fun changes in the Jan '21 updates to the motorcycle MOT inspection manual:

0.1. Identification of the vehicle - Registration plates - Changed bullet from 'be mounted at the rear of the motorcycle' to 'be mounted towards the rear of the motorcycle'
Wicked. So that's my plate going on the left rearset!

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'
The offending sausage of amusement.

Well, that wasn't very exciting. The last change was 24th Sept 2019.

This one is amusing (my bold):
2.2.2 Forks and yokes. Added information to clarify how to raise the wheels clear of ground. Changed defect 2.2.2.f.i wording to 'Steering head bearings excessively stiff, notchy, or with excessive wear or play’.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:11 pm »
All it actually means is that once a year, your MoT preparation includes swapping a halogen bulb into the headlight then post MoT, swapping the HID/LED back again. Less than 2 mins for either job.
...if only...!  :-\
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:31 am »
...if only...!  :-\

You need to swap your R for an S! ;)

Online Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:37 am »
" Wicked. So that's my plate going on the left rearset! "

I'd stick it on the right rearset.

Hopefully would then be obscured by the rear wheel when the camera flashes  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 11:52:32 am »
Good thinking, I will get back to the 3d printer and make a hanger :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 12:02:35 pm »
My local MoT tester (who still sits on the MoT Council) passes my biKe every year and he knows it has an HID in it.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 04:40:59 pm »
After my last MOT I mentioned that I had HID bulbs fitted and the tester said that as far as he is concerned, the brighter a motorcycle headlight is, the better.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.