Author Topic: Sliding forward on K1300r seat  (Read 1495 times)

Offline arch stanton

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
Sliding forward on K1300r seat
« on: May 29, 2023, 09:27:09 pm »
This is my first post. I wonder if you guys could advise me? I normally ride solo, I love the bike but yesterday my wife was riding pillion. This was her first time out on the bike. We had loads of sliding forward on the seat under braking. Not even heavy braking. It was only a local trip of about 30miles.Her sliding forward was a problem. I am short at 5 foot 6,so I don't take up much of the front section of the seat. No matter how she tried she kept slipping forward and we were both ending up sitting in the front section, with my nuts being squashed into the tank. So not much fun. Compared to a lot of bikes ,the seat does have a very slippery surface. There does seem to be a lot of after market seat options. I don't want to gamble on purchasing the wrong one. Have any of you had the same issue? Do any of you know of a remedy to stop this sliding?

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
Re: Sliding forward on K1300r seat
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:45:12 pm »
Arch, we had exactly the same problem, cured it by having the seat re-profiled (pillion) and recovered with an anti slip cover.
It was done at P & P seating Birmingham .

Hope this helps

Best regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Online nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:46:07 am »
I went the cheaper route with tank pads. Whenever braking I just clench my knees against the pads. No more bruised testes.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 07:43:42 am »
If you put your location in your profile we might be able to make recommendations  :thumbsupgood:

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 09:19:28 am »
Hello Arch

I have the Triboseat grip mesh fitted. Its a very cheap option, no need to have the seat re profiled, and it works fantastically. Tucks around the seat,bit like a hair net, not that I would know a lot about hair nets.
My wife had the same issue but its now completely eradicated, regardless of how I ride.

Check the link:-

https://www.triboseat.com/product/triboseat-bmw-k1300s-2009-2016/

Available on Ebay for £17:49.

Good luck.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:08:05 am »
I went the cheapest of all routes! :D

I cut some of the "mesh" matting, used to stop rugs sliding on hardwood floors, to fit the seat. A large size piece of that is about the same price as a Turbo Grip for the seat but will do many seats (and will stop your rug slipping! ;)  ) 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 11:40:30 am »
I cut some of the "mesh" matting, used to stop rugs sliding on hardwood floors, to fit the seat. A large size piece of that is about the same price as a Turbo Grip for the seat but will do many seats (and will stop your rug slipping! ;)  )

I'll have you know it's real hair.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 01:27:20 pm »

I'll have you know it's real hair.

Not the "rubbery" stuff I used!

D'Oh! The penny has just dropped!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 01:29:01 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 06:32:26 pm »
Well as I have only ridden the K1300GT solo I couldn't possibly comment on BMW but on my old Yamaha Thunderace this used to be a big problem certainly not helped by polishing the seats with Mr. Sheen back in the day!

As NIBS above I got hold of a Triboseat which was cheap, effective and solved the problem completely.

-=Glyn=-

Offline arch stanton

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 06:51:54 pm »
Thank you for all your advice.I have ordered the mesh triboseat today.Hoping that will solve the issue.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 08:27:16 pm »
we tried the tribo seat cover but I didn't think it looked right, here's a pic of our seat.

regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 06:59:44 am »
As someone who hardly ever rides a bike one up and Jeeze could write a book over the years getting things sorted the S1000XR needed 4 before we got the right one ,got lucky first time with the K went the Kahedo route.

Offline Jcdenton999

• Newbie around here, just bought my K
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S (Akra, ESA, ABS)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 11:47:07 am »
I find the sliding is worse when the seat is clean and some of the cleaning or wax has gone on the seat .... so my solution is to run with a dirty bike ... you are welcome  8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2023, 11:59:42 am »
we tried the tribo seat cover but I didn't think it looked right, here's a pic of our seat.

regards  Mick

Well those two Borrowers seem to be pretty happy on there!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 12:06:06 pm »
As someone who hardly ever rides a bike one up and Jeeze could write a book over the years getting things sorted the S1000XR needed 4 before we got the right one ,got lucky first time with the K went the Kahedo route.

I was lucky enough to have Touratech heated seats on my K1300GT when I bought it and looking underneath they also have a Kahedo label on them so guessing they were manufactured by Kahedo but branded & sold by Touratech.

They are really top quality being based upon the original BMW seatpan and they have what can only be described as a rough, anti-slip finish and so prevent me sliding about and I guess would help the passenger also.

-=Glyn=-