Author Topic: New bike thoughts  (Read 730 times)

Offline Yan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
New bike thoughts
« on: May 07, 2023, 09:21:50 pm »
Hi all,

So ive been riding the K1300r for about 3 months now, clocked a tad over 1000 miles and thought it's a bit of a handful to ride sometimes being heavy and not as agile as my previous bikes so quite liked the look of the S1000XR.
Booked a test ride with pidcocks but when i arrived i was told by the salesman they had sold the demo bike the day before and if id like to try the S1000R. Why not i said, so off i went down the road, 10 mins later i thought what a bag of poo this bike was. Under powered, hardly any torque and uncomfortable and im not saying anything about the wind over 55mph and unrideable at 100mph. Your head just gets battered by the wind to the point where your eyes cant focus on anything lol

Took the bike back after about 30 mins and expressed my disappointment in the R but more so the fact i wanted a demo on an XR as i wanted to buy one, possibly a new one so the salesman told me they would have another demo bike in about two weeks and to ring them back. I replied with, give me a call when it's ready to go and il come ride it and if it's a grey one i will buy it. Three weeks later and still no call so iv'e been looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX 2023 model, any thoughts on this bike?

I really like the K but don't want to spend money on tyres and a service for it to be no better at handling than it currently is.

John.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: New bike thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 09:42:59 pm »
Hey John,

Hm my first thought one sentence in was you'd probably enjoy the XR. The wider bars (and whatever else I haven't thought about) do make it more eager to throw about. I've had the old one for a day a couple of times. My feelings were both times: on the way home, dawdling (because work is waiting for me) I didn't like it. I forget exactly why. Then on the way back to the garage, flying (because my K1300S was waiting for me) I loved it.

I've had the S1000R once, years ago. I think a 17 plate. I didn't like it as I was still in love with the K. And as you say, the lack of fairing was a big unwanted change. As for power though, it just - like the XR - took a bit of getting used to. It needs the revs to do stuff. I forget how many revs as it's been years. I also briefly owned an 18 plate S1000RR with the full power version of the same engine. I didn't notice that much difference, probably because it's such a pain to access the power without accidentally slowing down or speeding up the rotation of the planet.

The 1000cc inline 4, which I assume is just an iteration, evolution of my one, is a nice enough engine. The power is there, it just lacks the grunt of our 1,300cc or wtf K engine. I dunno, the K, my KTM, the H2 SX, the GS even, have more flexibility in my opinion. One can ride like a silly sausage or sedately with ease. My memory of the S1000 family is the sedate side is just difficult/annoying, and the silly sausage is even sillier. Or something.

Or just get whatever bike doesn't have bright coloured wheels that look like poo after 10 minutes on a damp road :D.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Yan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 10:15:21 pm »
LOL, yeah i forgot about mentioning the S1000R had to be 6k+ RPM and way above for it to feel quick and assumed the XR would be the same but more comfortable.

My mate let me have a blast on his 72 plate S1000RR, liked it but it felt really strange with the high pegs, makes me want to go faster  :winkthumbs: and again pretty tame low down revs but fun when its screaming.

Probably just me being spoiled by the power of the K1300 but wanting a new or newer bike with similar power.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 08:15:17 am »
I was looking around for my next bike but couldn't settle, so had a bar conversion and seat mod done on my K1300S and fell in love with it all over again. It suits me that well - I doubt I'll  change it for many years.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 10:00:42 am »
Wow! A whole 1,000 miles and condemned out of hand...

In the first thousand miles on my first K (a blue and white K12S from 2004), I threw away the brand new Bridgestone BT 014's and fitted PR3's and had the ball joints changed. Twice! The ball joints, not the tyres...

After that it was every bit the big, rapid sports-touring machine I still needed. While I agree it might not be nimble, it is silly fast, stable and more than competent to keep me out of the hedges, despite the original Bridgestones actually throwing me in a hedge.

I guess if you don't like big bikes then it was the wrong choice but being a huge fan of big bikes I can't agree that it is a handful, except at manoeuvring speeds.

It sounds like you need to look at pure sports bikes without the tourer bit thrown in, cos that is where 'the handful' bit tends to start. Brian

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 01:03:38 pm »
Having read Yan/John post I’ve worked out why I run 6 bikes  ;D

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 01:08:57 pm »
Ride a K1600 for a while, then the 13 will feel like a really quick 600 ;D

Offline Yan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 04:17:30 pm »
Wow! A whole 1,000 miles and condemned out of hand...

In the first thousand miles on my first K (a blue and white K12S from 2004), I threw away the brand new Bridgestone BT 014's and fitted PR3's and had the ball joints changed. Twice! The ball joints, not the tyres...

After that it was every bit the big, rapid sports-touring machine I still needed. While I agree it might not be nimble, it is silly fast, stable and more than competent to keep me out of the hedges, despite the original Bridgestones actually throwing me in a hedge.

I guess if you don't like big bikes then it was the wrong choice but being a huge fan of big bikes I can't agree that it is a handful, except at manoeuvring speeds.

It sounds like you need to look at pure sports bikes without the tourer bit thrown in, cos that is where 'the handful' bit tends to start. Brian

Brian,

Yeah 1k miles since Feb, i work 70 hrs a week plus, self employed, and have a life other than riding around so 1k miles on my bike is a lot in addition to the miles im doing in the car  ::)

Never said i didn't like big bikes, was riding 500cc MX bikes when i was 14, had sports bikes and a 20 year lay off the bikes then jumped on the K1300R, never said didn't like it just that it is a handful comparing it to other previous bikes.

This is my first BMW K. It needs a service and a pair of tyres, the ones on it are squared off so was thinking do i just sell it as it is or spend a few quid on it in the hope new tyres will make it handle/feel better.

Probably looking for an excuse to buy a new bike also  :winkthumbs:

Only posted to get a general consensus what others thought, thanks to all who replied.

Cheers,
John.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 04:59:32 pm »
Knowing how these bikes can eat money,and I don’t mean just the K,the price of a set of tyres is a drop in the bucket and if your situation is otherwise I’d bail out ASAP.

If you decide to give the K another go,stump up another 15 quid and buy a set of Ride Height Ajustment Plates otherwise known as Sandbar Dogbones,it’ll breath life into an old bike.

As for other bikes, have both a much modded XR and KTM GT in the garage, off to the NW200 tomorrow and with the look of the weather forecast it’ll be the good old K that’s going to get wheeled out of the garage for the trip for us to go on.

Offline Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 04:33:05 am »
New tyres will make a massive difference to the handling IF the ball joints and suspension are ok. The handling is also greatly affected by pressure. I run 36/34 and find that a 1-2 psi drop makes the bike feel ponderous. Bear in mind that the 12/13s have a long wheelbase and will not handle as quick as a smaller wheel base but they are surefooted and rock steady. You will get used to the difference quite quickly.
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain