Author Topic: Welsh Wramble 2022  (Read 10400 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Welsh Wramble 2022
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2022, 07:32:39 pm »
Well, I certainly enjoyed both routes each day; still waiting to see the optician about the double vision  :)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2022, 10:53:40 am »
What a time!

The beginning

Up at some dam

Some discussion going on about where exactly Snowdon is (and how to spell it I should have hoped, Richard! What would Tenzing think?!)

I think Richard took these. He's very tall you know.

And I took this one. I'm averagely tall you know*.

*For the 19th century
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2022, 10:50:52 pm »
After a relatively leisurely Sunday morning lie in I left Falmouth thinking I might meet the team at the Elan Valley, but after finding very little traffic I pulled my finger out and managed to get to Brians by 11am. He fortunately had liberal supplies of tea and biscuits as we discovered that the Banbury version of "I'll be 20 mins late" means roughly the same as the Cornish "dreckly". Still it was sunny and dry and remained so as we eventually toddled off to the Elan Valley where we discovered Phillip, who coming from the railway town of Crewe had obviously arrived on time and thus been waiting for ages. The afternoon was filled with lots of dams and no water. The pub food and drink in the evening proved a bit of a let down, so we decided to eat in the B&B for the rest of the week and very good it was too.

Monday morning meant a wriggly route better suited to the GS part of the group than the K group, over the hill  to St Davids where I arrived considerably overdressed for the 26C weather. En-route we visited the allegedly most isolated phone box in Wales. Having removed several layers and opened numerous vents ready for the afternoon jaunt back to Lanwrtyd Wells it turned grey and damp so we reverted to the A40. Bor-ring but so was the weather.

Lengthy discussion over Monday evenings dinner, several bottles of vino collapso,  followed by "satnav reprogramming 101 for beginners experts and those using paper and a pencil" resulted in stealing a "here's one we made earlier" route from Tom, round over and through the Brecons, Black Mountain and, confusingly for those who've never walked around there, The Black Mountains, all the way to Tintern Abbey and back. Thus Tuesdays route proved to be "Most excellent" as me old mates Bill and Ted used to say, except unfortunately for Brian who was mentally writing nasty solicitors letters to Specsavers once he discovered why he was seeing 2 corners at every turn although personally I was very relieved to find it was a mechanical problem not a physical one. It wasn't much better for Matt who, having opted out of the packed lunch, found the planned brewery stop was shut, and then found that all the cafes and shops in Tintern were shut too, had nowt to eat. Weather was again stunning for wales in September, a little cooler but still dry and sunny, perfect conditions.

As Tom and I were heading towards Manchester on Wednesday evening, the route planners had us winging North all morning. Best day of the trip for me, roads through mid wales wonderful (except for Brian who discovered a fairly large patch of diesel causing his rear wheel to take a good look at the front wheel  :o) , Snowdonia magnificent in the sun and clear sky. A real feel good day.

It rained while we sat inside the tea room at Aber Falls distillery, but then dry as I headed for Manchester after fighting the good fight with both my phones that either refused to charge or wouldn't run the Tom Tom app (hooky version from Holland that runs great when you don't need it as all good sat navs do). Had a messy night out with a lot of old friends, sat up til early on Thursday morning talking shite (probably, I cant quite remember).  The best day I have had for some considerable time

Thursday i dragged my sorry arse down to Shropshire to visit my sister and my 93 year old dad, who wasn't in on time  as he was out for an extended lunch with his 95 year old mate. I tell you I hope I'm still going that well if I get to that age.  Friday afternoon I headed South via Brians. As i trundled, well you know, K13 trundled, down the A49 it was a bit too busy with caravans and motorhomes. It eventually struck me people were making a holiday weekend out of QE2's funeral day off on Monday. After leaving Brians (took me own biscuits, natch) the Tom Tom (note working perfectly as I am travelling a route I know) suddenly said "59 minute delay, you will arrive at your destination eventually". This turned out to be filtering through miles and miles of 3 or 4 lanes of very slow traffic full of aforesaid vans caravans and motorhomes on the M5 from Bristol nearly to Bridgewater where I had to stop for fuel and a sandwich. When I came out they had all crawled down to fill up the motorway to Taunton or thereabout so I had to do it again. Could not have been more unpleasantly different to Wednesday. Even 110watts equivalent of LED through the back window and a largely white motorbike wouldnt shift some of them on the A30. Anyway home eventually

Great week even though I sloped off early. Thanks to all those involved in the route planning and organisation, I very much enjoyed myself. Added to the general enjoyment of the roads was blagging the tail end charlie position where I could observe everybody else's moments while nobody could see my obviously completely perfect riding technique  8)

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2022, 10:34:20 am »
A great four days in the Welsh countryside with a great bunch of friends.

The B&B was very welcoming, good food, good weather, good beer & lots of twisty roads.

Got to appreciate more some aspects of my newly acquired ( old ) GS1200 that replaced the stolen K1300.
It obviously doesn't have the power of the mighty K but does have other advantages like comfort & manoeuvrability.

Four of us ( Brian, Richard, Matt & myself ) called in to the Spaceguard Centre located high above Knighton on Thursday morning.

Richard had discovered the place where we were treated to a very interesting talk by Jay Tate ( Boffin ) about the risks of Meteorites & Asteroids to our civilisation. https://spaceguardcentre.com/
It's good to know there are people & organisations ( this one gets no government funding at all ) out there looking for such things in the sky, & even better news that they have plans on how to alter their trajectory to miss earth.

Thanks to everyone who organised the routes & the event, & hope to see everyone again next year.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2022, 02:08:52 pm »
Some discussion going on about where exactly Snowdon is (and how to spell it I should have hoped, Richard! What would Tenzing think?!)
Edward was impressed by my cryptic spelling.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2022, 11:09:22 pm »
Well done the route creators, and satnav meisters.

Tch - I forgot to say thank you to Brian for arranging the B&B. Good value, good room, good food, and good company.
And a brilliant location - not a boring road for at least 30 miles in all directions.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:39 am »
That looks like it was a great trip chaps. I'm glad you all enjoyed it!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2022, 04:15:13 pm »
We enjoyed it too much for the Welsh politicians who are now trying to kill the tourist industry before gets back on its knees by introducing a 'we don't want you in Wales' tax. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2022, 05:22:52 pm »
We enjoyed it too much for the Welsh politicians who are now trying to kill the tourist industry before gets back on its knees by introducing a 'we don't want you in Wales' tax. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

¿Que? Tell us more, oh wise Mini Cheddars muncher.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2022, 06:14:45 pm »
Just back from my Scotland trip another 1000 + miles, I must say the Welsh run this year was good fun with lots of great roads good food and the weather was as Wales is OK, Matt was in his element when we reached north Wales and the Llanberis twisty roads, A big thanks to all and a bigger thanks to Brian Matt and Richard for the organisation of this years run, sorry about your Mini Cheddars  Brian. ;D ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2022, 07:10:21 pm »

¿Que? Tell us more, oh wise Mini Cheddars muncher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62956842

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2022, 11:21:55 am »
Ah - that's pretty common in Europe. Rome city tax is 3-7 Euros per night depending on the standard of your accommodation, as an example.
If it goes towards maintaining those lovely Welsh roads and other infrastructure (and puts a few cheapskates off) I'm all for it.

They can't make it too high a tax or they'll lose income overall, so it will be quite reasonable.