Author Topic: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble  (Read 41460 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 07:08:36 pm »
So the brewed-on-the-premises beer is on you... :)

Home made beer? Yaaay! :D

And I think Richard's update was to signify he updated the OP with the semi fixed date.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 07:12:16 pm »
Finger trouble...

Which is absolutely acceptable when loading logs into my stove 'cos a) it makes no difference and b) you can't see it.

C'mon biscuit, sort it...

[SORTED - richtea]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:54:25 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 08:05:24 pm »
Obviously, Wales is currently closed, so making firm decisions on accommodation is rather difficult, most of the hotel owners have gone off to their holiday homes in Barbados or Newquay for the duration...

We have tentative dates of 14th to 16th June and the current plan is to base ourselves in Llanwrtyd Wells ( 9C4R4946+XJ ), a wonderful village about 20 miles south of Rhyader and voted Village of the Year in 2009.

We have a confirmed booking for all 6 rooms at the Bryncelyn Guesthouse for those 6 members who are a definite 'Yes'.

Bryncelyn is a 4 star B&B that has never disappointed in many stays there, has off-road parking for half a dozen bikes on their private drive and Lil, the lovely Irish(?) owner, serves a huge traditional breakfast.

The nearest and most convenient place in town to eat supper and be merry is The Neuadd Arms, 50 yards along the street.

The Neuadd Arms also has 20 rooms available for guests but is currently not taking bookings. I have spoken to the chef (who was in doing lunches for the lads in the garage next door) and obviously, if lockdown is finished then they will be open so anyone else wishing to join in the fun will be able to stay there making one big merry group for the all important evening celebrations. I will keep in touch with them as and when Wales re-opens.

The Neuadd Arms also has off-road parking and a wonderful public bar and a slightly less salubrious locals bar as well as its own brewery out the back. No, really! The restaurant serves excellent meals with daily specials as well as a full menu.

Anyone else wishing to join in the Wramble should send their name and bank details on the back of a £20 note to the usual address.

Or, post up your interest here, it'll be cheaper in the long run  :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 10:15:28 pm »
Thanks Brian. I've updated the original post at the top of thread with all the latest details.

I will get some of the suggested routes finalised in the next day or two, and post them up, for the amusement/ridicule of all.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 10:28:30 pm »
level of interest:
p.s. I do hope you plan a visit to the fricking incredible alternative energy place or whatever it's called. 3 or 4 years living in Aber and I never managed to visit! :P

The new coal mine is not in Wales but in Whitehaven in Cumbria. We should have gone there last year before they dug it all up.

Or was the first new coal mine in the UK since I was 23 not the alternative energy place you had in mind ?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:11 am »
level of interest:
p.s. I do hope you plan a visit to the fricking incredible alternative energy place or whatever it's called. 3 or 4 years living in Aber and I never managed to visit! :P

The new coal mine is not in Wales but in Whitehaven in Cumbria. We should have gone there last year before they dug it all up.

Or was the first new coal mine in the UK since I was 23 not the alternative energy place you had in mind ?

Hah well seeing as smoking is finally going out of fashion we need to keep "black lung" going somehow and that is as good a way as any!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2021, 03:22:34 pm »
Now that the dates are fixed (more or less, at least), I've decided to join you. So I'd be the first to stay at the Neuadd Arms hotel, hoping I'll not be the only one there. Just to know, Richard : I intended to book myself ? The lady of the house (I emailed her) is willing to take my reservation, but I didn't reserve yet, not knowing your intentions for the rest of the bookings.

Which makes me have to check now which papers I'll need by then : does anyone know if a EU- ID card will still be valid, or will I need a "real" international passport by then ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 03:28:09 pm »
Good to have you along Philippe, I shouldn't worry about being the only one staying in the pub, I'm sure you won't be alone and the rest of us will be eating and drinking there anyway. As for documentation, I'm not sure, however I got myself an IDP just in case and it was only about £5 so not a big cost. Best to check your government website.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 03:35:11 pm »
IDP = international passport, I guess? I'm not so much worried about the cost, I even already have an international passport, but I wonder if I should have it updated. Plenty of time left, anyway. I'll check indeed. And I don't carry cigarettes nor a lot of booze, so other custom checks are nothing to worry about  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 04:02:49 pm »
IDP is an International Driving Permit.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 06:54:44 pm »
Now that the dates are fixed (more or less, at least), I've decided to join you. So I'd be the first to stay at the Neuadd Arms hotel, hoping I'll not be the only one there. Just to know, Richard : I intended to book myself ? The lady of the house (I emailed her) is willing to take my reservation, but I didn't reserve yet, not knowing your intentions for the rest of the bookings.

Excellent Philippe! That will be great.

When we say we've 'booked' Bryncelyn Guesthouse, Brian has reserved the dates with the landlady, but not paid.
If the Neuadd Arms will take the same approach (i.e. no cost/risk to yourself), then that is definitely worth doing.

What you want to do is avoid losing a deposit / payment due to Covid-19.

If she will let you do a provisional booking to hold the room for you, then that's perfect. Then when we know the date is safe (from Covid) that's when you can commit a deposit/payment.

She may also allow a refundable deposit - which I guess is OK, but I'm always a little wary of handing over money.  :o

So - book it's if pretty risk-free, and we will keep an eye on when the English/Welsh government intend to lift lockdown, and let you know.  That might be March / mid-March beforfe they're sure, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

I've added you to the top post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:07:27 pm by richtea »

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 09:33:33 pm »
Excellent, I made the reservation (i.e. directly, not via booking.com). The landlady asked to let her know as soon as possible if I wouldn't be able show up for any reason, more specifically if any government would forbid traveling at that time; I can pay when leaving, didn't need to pay any advance.

Just so you know : upon me mentioning "a group" (of UK bikers), she informed me that there's a discount as from 10 (or more) people. But maybe considering not to make bad neighbours is as good an option, in that (after all) small town (as I am about sure she doesn't know about your stay 50 yards away)...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:05 pm »
Good info for others thinking of booking, Philippe. You've done better than us, in getting hold of the owner!
I've added that info to the top post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:01:52 pm by richtea »

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:45 pm »
After six amazing years of the Wrinklies Run, this year it is time for something a little different.
Please chime in with your level of interest, and suggestions and ideas.

Yup I'm interested, will see at sorting those dates, I'm badly in need of a jaunt like this......Ady
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:33:26 pm by richtea »
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2021, 01:58:49 pm »
Good news Ady, I've included you in the first post. Keep us informed.