Author Topic: BMW K1200R Sport  (Read 2158 times)

Offline chopper_harris

• View Profile
BMW K1200R Sport
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:52 am »
It is with genuine regret that I am listing my BMW K1200R Sport, it's been one of the best all-round bikes that i have owned in close to forty years of riding.
Unfortunately, I have a Pan European ST1100, an R1200RT and a Hyde Bonneville which have been my goto bikes for the past three years, so this has to go.

Allow me to clarify why I am selling such a great all-rounder.

I bought the bike on 13/08/2010 for my wife, and she rode it until late 2015, when her worsening arthritis mandated a move to a lighter bike.
She moved on to a Street Triple R, but was reluctant to sell the K1200R Sport - can we keep it, just in case !

The bike was transferred to me on 01/06/2016, and it has done less than 250 miles per year since then, just to keep it serviced and insured.
Wifey has since been forced to move from the Street Triple R due to the shoulder weight and acute knee angle, and is now riding a Triumph Tiger XRT.

She has finally admitted that the K1200R Sport is too long and too heavy for her to safely manoeuver around at low speeds, this has been so frustrating for her.

Registered on 18/08/2007, it's a very late 07 plate.
Three previous owners, the last was my wife - between us we have owned the bike for almost nine years.
Currently on 18,950 miles, the old girl is MOT'd until July 1st 2019, but I will get a fresh MOT at the time of sale for the new owner.

The bike has a full service history - all fluids were changed last Summer, and I stripped and greased the rear suspension linkage along with a 3 caliper strip and rebuild.
I have a detailed photographic history of all of the service work.

The boss is a big fan of Michelin Pilot Sport, but I  prefer the OEM Metzeler and had a pair of Z8 Roadtec fiitted in 2017 - both are appx 6mm.

All BMW recalls have been completed at Bowker Motorrad in Preston, and previously Southport Superbikes.

The bike is fully loaded, with options including

Clear Indicators
Onboard Computer
RDC - Tyre Pressure Monitoring
ESA - Electronic Suspension Adjustment
iABS - the later, non-servo system - all the warning lights extinguish correctly and there are no potential servo failure concerns.

The bike is fitted with Power-Commander III, to smooth out the well-documented erratic idle on the K1200 engine due to over-lean fuelling as standard.
This also gives a useful power boost, up to 172bhp.

0-60 in appx 2.6 seconds, top speed >170mph
You get the brutality and easy riding position of the naked K1200R, blended with a half fairing which makes distance riding so much more comfortable.
I fitted a double-bubble screen for the boss, eliminating a lot of wind-buffeting when cruising at speed.

The paintwork is outstanding, with a deep shine - if you want further pictures please PM me.

[click to enalarge]

I think that covers most of the important stuff.
I'm happy to provide any additional detail or pictures that you need, and you are welcome to call in for some tea and inspect the bike to confirm the outstanding condition.

I'm asking £3,800, and could be tempted to a trade against a Rolex, JLC Reverso, IWC Portugese or classic El Primero piece.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:50:16 am by richtea »

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Re: BMW K1200R Sport
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 05:19:12 pm »
Brilliant bikes, not too many around either due to the short production run. Perfect riding position, great handling, fast, stable and really good on fuel. Best bike I have ever owned. Good luck with the sale.
Watchin you Focker

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 06:08:55 pm »
I have to say I quite like the practicality of a half fairing.
The radiator is easier to reach, less chance of unrinsed salt sitting on the engine, etc.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:07:45 pm »
A whole lot of very nice bike for the money. Good luck with the sale. Your wife must be sorry to see it go.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:09:13 pm »
Why are bikes so difficult to part with? When my 306 and vrs thing went I didn't care a jot! Thinking about parting with my K makes me sad.

Also yes that does look a lovely bikey.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:05:35 pm »
I finally threw away an old, filthy, ratty, torn and threadbare work shirt the other day.

I haven't stopped gulping down the scotch ever since... ::)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:09 am »
Are those two statement related at all?  :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 11:51:59 am »
Barely...

Offline chopper_harris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:37 pm »
I'm open to sensible offers to find this old girl a new home