Author Topic: Wrinklies Chasing The Sun 7 ?  (Read 8504 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Wrinklies Chasing The Sun 7 ?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 10:50:20 am »
Thank you Matt (I think), we would all like to ride all day on national speed limit twisty roads. In reality this is not going to happen. We live in a small overcrowded country, which is why I like going to France.

I ask again, please, someone plan a days riding route and show me the sort of roads you like to ride. It doesn't matter where from or to, circular or linear.
 I did ask after the last Wrinklies trip and so far nobody has given me a route, so come on, don't just sit there, start planning.
I am genuinely keen to learn. Teach an old dog a new trick.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 11:59:24 am »
I'm looking into it, Rae.

I'll do a draft route, but no dates - to gauge interest.
If there's interest, I'll add more detail.

As you know, it's not something you do overnight.
Remind me in a week.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:34:35 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 12:25:05 pm »
I'm looking into Rae.

I'll do a draft route, but no dates - to gauge interest.
If there's interest, I'll add more detail.

As you know, it's not something you do overnight.
Remind me in a week.  ;)
Thank you Rich. I would really like Brian to participate so that I can find some roads that he likes. I want everyone to enjoy my trips, so anything I can do better I am keen to learn. I draw the line at dirt tracks and roads with grass growing in the middle  ;D ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:08 pm »
I'll have a chat with him, Rae.

I quite like grass down the middle.  But not the whole 200 miles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 01:15:43 pm »
I don't mind dual carriageways with grass in the middle  ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2021, 03:26:17 pm »
I don't mind dual carriageways with grass in the middle  ;D

What - like this?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 03:41:27 pm »
If you take me up roads like that you will have to have my hands surgically removed from your neck  ;D ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:58 pm »
It isn't my wrists that get in the way. On the last Wrinklies, which almost wrecked them by the end of Tuesday, but which fixed them (sort of) by Wednesday morning, I was expecting them to play up and having ridden up to Cumbria and then down to Derby, I was surprised they lasted as well as they did.

I have just had my fill of suburbs and 30 limits and traffic and traffic lights at the start or end of every day's ride.

Getting out of Southport. Getting into Swansea. Getting round the endlessly speed-limited Norfolk coast. And had I been riding, getting into Worthing would have done my head in.

And all in the name of getting to or from a big-chain hotel. They may be clean, safe and predictable, but I would add boring and inconveniently placed for bike trips.

I thought the place we stayed in Cumbria last year on the Monday night was perfick. Apart from the beer! Or rather, the no-beer! It would be perfect for a single-base set of rides into the Lakes with rapid access to great roads in the mornings and a rapid decamp at the end of the day into a familiar bar with no loading up, checking out, checking in and unloading.

When I used to ride Wales two or three times a year (before I moved to be nearer to it and haven't ridden it since) we used to base ourselves in Llanwrtyd Wells in a great B&B. 50 yard walk to the local pub with its own brewery out the back and a fairly good restaurant with an accomplished chef. They are both as far from corporate as it is possible to get and all the better for it. In my opinion.

TomL and Ron and I stayed there a few years ago and they loved it and the roads. One minute after start-up, you are into the meat of excellent biking roads and you are parking the bike with the sweat still dripping down your armpits at the end of the day; top-whack, challenging bends to park up in less than a minute. I'm not suggesting Llanwrtyd Wells as a base as it is a bit far into Wales, merely using it as an example, but if Richard wants grass down the middle, then a few minutes west out of Llanwrtyd Wells and the Abergwesyn to Tregarron coach road will give him plenty of challenges...

The reason I never responded to your request for help with the routes after last year's Wrinklies was that you asked Martin and I how else we would get into and out of the hotels we used. My whole point is that I wouldn't use those hotels for a bike trip. I've discussed this with you before Rae and you are adamant that you want 'to get somewhere' and I know you love the corporate safety. I don't know if Martin responded but I know he prefers the idea of a single base with cloverleaf rides.

You know how much we all appreciate your planning expertise, or you should do, and I have few gripes with the roads we ride, once we are out of the speed limits. I have seen places in the UK I never knew existed and hooning up and down the same stretch of super road between Llanwrtyd Wells, Builth Wells, Llandindrod Wells and Crossgates, whilst exciting and challenging, is not much fun after the first four runs... well, it is, but you get my drift.

To me, the huge beauty of a single base is the flexibility. Take my problem last year. If we had been in a single base, I could have cut and run after lunch and met you all back at the base that evening and been fresh enough for a new challenge the following day. On a mad dash from somewhere to somewhere else, you just can't do that.

Also, with a single base, if someone wants to do a specific road or route and others don't, then it is easy peasy to do your own thing and still meet up at the end of the day with everyone else. Ron tended to do this in Wales and on The Old Gits trips, going off by himself to do some culture or easy riding. The Old Gits trips are exactly this, with either one or two bases for a week's rides. Having discovered The Picos, I doubt they will go anywhere else, such is the variety and quality of the roads and the sparse population around the towns and cities where they base themselves. In the UK, you can't do that without basing yourselves out in the country.

This country has endless country pubs and small hotels with stunning roads around them. I've never ridden north of the Lakes or down into the West country or Kent and by and large Yorkshire is a complete mystery to this Lancashire lad. I couldn't believe that Richard had never even been to the Lakes, let alone ridden them.

Let's get our heads together and see what comes out of it and if it is more than one trip, then so be it, it will give folks the choices to do what they want but in a group of like-minded (sort of) guys.

Brian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2021, 06:14:47 pm »
Two last thoughts...

The fact I don't like the existing format is no reason to change it if others are happy.

The travel industry is predicting a massive rise in Staycations or UKations this year, so wherever we are going to stay, we'd better get a move on or the country will be fullybooked by Malagalouts who can't go abroad  ::)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »
Two last thoughts...

The fact I don't like the existing format is no reason to change it if others are happy.

The travel industry is predicting a massive rise in Staycations or UKations this year, so wherever we are going to stay, we'd better get a move on or the country will be fullybooked by Malagalouts who can't go abroad  ::)

Make Aberystwyth, Llandudno and Aberdyfi Great Again Louts are the worst.

If we went the cloverleaf approach then several of us would have to plan routes too, opening the floor to ridicule in the evening, e.g "well Richard I enjoyed that last lane but there was so much grass I thought we were in Holland."

In actuality I'll be living under a bridge by then anyway.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2021, 09:10:13 am »
If we go with the hub and clover leaf approach I think we should rename it to Wrinklies Chasing Their Tails or maybe because we waffle a lot, Tales  ;D
So if this takes place in Wales it would be Wrinklies Chasing Their Tales in Wales  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:12:07 am by raesewell »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 10:24:38 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

And down the pub after:
- Males regale tales of Chasing their Tails in Wales over ales

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2021, 10:49:44 am »
I’d have put the word Hypothetical in the heading, jeez you’ll be lucky if the majority of the population have had the jab before the winter sets in or maybe the title should be 2022  ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:02 am »
You may have missed it Chris but I didn't put a date or year in the title and there is a question mark  ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 11:29:02 am »
;D ;D ;D

And down the pub after:
- Males regale tales of Chasing their Tails in Wales over ales
Excellent Rich  :D