Author Topic: Rear Axle Corrosion - K1300GT  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
Rear Axle Corrosion - K1300GT
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »
Found this corrosion on the rear axle, inside the large centre hole. There are two areas - the obvious one and the orange patch behind it.

(Please click the link, I have tried to embed Google Photos and Flickr links but cannot get the image to show, sorry. Yes, I read the How-to. If a kind person can insert the image for me, and tell me how, I would be grateful, thank you)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPy17mQJSuprkfn28

Anyone else had corrosion like this here? It is unlikely to be damage - too hard to reach or even photograph well!

It is not too deep yet so I will repaint it but only after approaching my dealer and arguing that they may have damaged it when replacing the rear disk carrier and rear wheel bearing. Or that the paint is not good enough (joke, given the paint on the final drive....)

Cheers,

A

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Rear Axle Corrosion - K1300GT
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:01:04 pm »
When you say 'the paint might not be good enough' and 'repaint it', why? It isn't painted in the first place. At least mine isn't. It is just 'coated' in some way.

It might have been caused by the incautious use of a rear paddock stand; differential metals in contact over time, especially if you are not the original owner.

It can't be more than slight surface corrosion. I'd just give it a light rub down and an occasional squirt of WD.

Actually, I wouldn't, I'd ignore it  8)

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:52 pm »
The inside of the rear axle is one of the few places Old Faithful isn't corroded! Having said that I agree with Brian, just ignore it!

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:04:58 pm »
Sorted - I used some spray paint to repaint inside the axle. Not the prettiest job but it is better than nothing and probably a higher quality paint/coating than the one that BMW originally used.

Looked at the Payback thread - he's put end caps on both sides - I think that will definitely trap moisture....

A