Author Topic: Take the bike out first time this year and bloody RAC  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
Take the bike out first time this year and bloody RAC
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:29:35 pm »
So Friday i brushed off the cobwebs and rode up to London for a usual get together with old work friends. Checked into one of Premier Inns finest, changed rooms twice because the Air Con didn't work then rode over to a friends, on the way I heard the bang of what sounded like a stone being pinged out from under the wheel.
Almost instantly the back end wobbled, luckily i was doing about 15mph and then the hazard symbol on the dash warning me i had 0 psi in the rear tyre. I rode it about a 1/4 mile to a friends house, that was fun, where i parked it up and went out to have a good time to drown my sorrows. Next day I went back to my friends house and called Barclays who i have breakdown, travel insurance, gadget cover etc. with.

I'm now talking to the RAC who take my details, I inform them I'm going to need recovery because it cannot be repaired and that I've ridden it so probably wrecked the sidewalls anyway, I'm told it can be up to 2 hours, after the call I receive a text from them so I'm thinking all is good.. Nearly 3 hours later nothing has happened, no one has called  >:( I call them again, wondering what is happening, they tell me they are busy, I explain again I need recovery where I'm questioned why, I tell them again and they replied "Oh right well I'll talk to our technical department, we had you down for a normal patrol visit" >:( >:(
2 minutes later they call back agreeing i can have recovery and now i have a 3rd party breakdown coming to pick me up, which arrive in 30 minutes in a truck you could nearly fit a stretched limo on, who take me home.

The only two good things that happened is I saved about 65 miles worth of fuel and i received a questionnaire on how did the RAC did.. I was a good boy and didn't swear on any of the comments boxes.
The wheel is off now and I just need to source a local garage to replace it and once back together I'll wrap it all back up again until next summer, bloody bikes not worth the hassle ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Take the bike out first time this year and bloody RAC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
Looks like a quick stringy-thingy or two would have had you mobile in moments...still might  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
... I'll wrap it all back up again until next summer, bloody bikes not worth the hassle ;D

Bad boy. Get back out there immediately. Use it or lose it.

Looks like a quick stringy-thingy or two would have had you mobile in moments...still might  :o

Oooo, I'm not so sure. That's a BIG slice.
No wonder it went down fast, it's length is 2 or 3 times the width of the rain grooves.

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:58:03 pm »
Maybe 5 strings! ::)  You are correct that riding it a distance has trashed the side walls. They heat up so quickly when ridden flat you can imagine. The damage to the rubber is huge even if you can't see it. Now for the real life part, if you only ride the bike once or twice maybe it is time to re think it.
Went to a Michelin tire tech session given by their engineers. They and a section of a tire that had been ridden a half mile to a stop in a safe zone in a motorway. If you turned it inside out you could see where the inside side walls had a long continuous crack on both sides from heat damage. Something you can not see until removed from the wheel.
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:39:52 am »
I used to be with the AA but got fed up of having a similar experience.

Me: Hello AA. I've got a puncture. I'm on a motorcycle.
AA Control:  Someone will be with you within the hour.

90 mins later AA patrolman in little van turns up.

AA Patrolman: Oh! It's a motorcycle.  I can't touch one of those! I'll call a recovery truck.

99 minutes later I call AA Control

Me: Where's the recovery truck?
AA Control: Someone was with you 90 minutes ago!
Me: Yes, and they said they couldn't touch a motorcycle and were calling a recovery truck.
AA Control: Oh! It's a motorcycle.  You'll need a recovery truck for that.  I'll arrange one.

90 minutes later non-AA recovery truck turns.  He was local and had only been called by the AA 20 minutes ago!!!! 

I use Britannia Rescue now!  Much quicker,  cheaper and more efficient! 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:27:59 am »
... I'll wrap it all back up again until next summer, bloody bikes not worth the hassle ;D

Bad boy. Get back out there immediately. Use it or lose it.

Oooo, I'm not so sure. That's a BIG slice.
No wonder it went down fast, it's length is 2 or 3 times the width of the rain grooves.

It did go bang big time and the fact i could fit the metal blade of the ignition key in the hole easily would mean a tow rope instead of string would be needed to repair it

I used to be with the AA but got fed up of having a similar experience.

Me: Hello AA. I've got a puncture. I'm on a motorcycle.
AA Control:  Someone will be with you within the hour.

90 mins later AA patrolman in little van turns up.

AA Patrolman: Oh! It's a motorcycle.  I can't touch one of those! I'll call a recovery truck.

99 minutes later I call AA Control

Me: Where's the recovery truck?
AA Control: Someone was with you 90 minutes ago!
Me: Yes, and they said they couldn't touch a motorcycle and were calling a recovery truck.
AA Control: Oh! It's a motorcycle.  You'll need a recovery truck for that.  I'll arrange one.

90 minutes later non-AA recovery truck turns.  He was local and had only been called by the AA 20 minutes ago!!!! 

I use Britannia Rescue now!  Much quicker,  cheaper and more efficient! 

When i was in the CSMA that used local companies which were extremely fast with their response
It was funny going along the M25 seeing broken down car owners looking as this big truck went by with just a motorbike strapped into the middle

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:01:53 pm »
Been using Britannia for decades now, never needed them for the bike but brilliant with the odd car failure.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 08:00:42 pm »
So I got around taking the wheel in for a new tyre. When carrying it to the shop you could hear that something was in there, first thoughts were the tyre pressure sensor but no it turned out to be this. I should done the lottery what are the chances of it being in the perfect position to go inside.. ??? :o ??? About the same odds of winning the lottery, no it appears, I'm still poor..

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:03 pm »
Ewwwwww - what is it?

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:52 pm »
It's a wheel weight from a steel car wheel rim, they sort of clip on.. With a hammer.

It makes sense to me now as the incident happened at a set of width restrictions with raised concrete sides, some car wheel must have hit the side quite hard and dislodged it and of course only bikes wouldn't be on the side riding through (except Reliant Robins).

Going by the weight of it I bet they were thinking they were driving an out of balance washing machine when they picked up speed.

Can you imagine if the tyre was repairable on the roadside what it would do to the bike.. I assume it's 80g as there is 80 stamped on it

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 10:10:30 pm »
Just been out and bought 57 tittery lockets...OH!, and four hundred assorted wheel weights...

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 06:02:11 am »
Just been out and bought 57 tittery lockets...OH!, and four hundred assorted wheel weights...
With my luck I'll soon have that many wheel weights, but still no lottery win

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 08:23:31 am »
As a friend of mine used to say, "you could fall into a bucket full of tits and come out sucking your thumb"

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 07:34:57 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D