Author Topic: KTM 790 Duke and 890 Duke  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
KTM 790 Duke and 890 Duke
« on: May 09, 2022, 04:12:17 pm »
Whilst riding back through Wales a few weeks ago I stopped at Penderyn distillery for obvious reasons. When I came back to my bike after ten minutes or so I spied a single drop of oil on the tarmac and corresponding wet bit on the bike (KTM 1290 GT).

Duly booked in and having assured myself the level wasn't disastrously dropping I took it to KTM and was given an 18 plate 790 with 3,000 miles to keep me on the road.

I rode this an hour home and decided that:
1. The fuel injection on a neutral throttle at 30-40mph hunts about and makes it all very annoying
2. The suspension feels rubbish and cheap, reminding me of my old old old SV650.

After getting home I belatedly inspected the thing and noticed the rear tyre was far more dead than I would ever choose to ride on. I also got a call to say the torque limiter 'shaft' had a seized bearing and so they'd be keeping my bike for a while. This while turned into a bit longer as apparently the KTM factory don't have enough shelf-to-post office operatives. Eventually after some more dates were missed I asked for a bike that isn't trying to get me 3 points and an upset Matt. Enter the 890. A new one with less than 300 miles on.

I rode this an hour home and decided that:
1. The fuel injection is fine
2. The suspension is fine

However it doesn't appear to have a working quickshifter, which whilst fine on an R NineT seemed a bit off on this (to be sure I rode it and then ignored it so maybe I'll go and have a look later to see if it's just broke. Or not functioning pre run-in service).

In summary: The 790 is worth 5 pence with how rubbish it is to ride on the road, the 890 is worth whatever they are sold at as it's actually a complete product. Don't buy a 790 unless you're going to re-map and re-suspend and re-e-wind.

I almost then ended up with a 990 Adventure after they forgot someone wanted to demo the 890, however it appears they re-scheduled that.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: KTM 790 Duke and 890 Duke
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 04:48:54 pm »
If you hadn't photoshopped some orange on the first image, I'd have had problems playing Spot The Difference.
You almost managed to position the wheel spokes exactly the same.

What with the 790 and the oil/seized bearing you're not filling me with KTM envy yet. Which is a shame since the big GT beast is one of the few K alternatives that is attractive from a performance and capability point of view. Is it behaving apart from that?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 06:09:22 pm »
From my KTM experience which is around 3 years....the important bit is the right dealer

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 07:21:49 pm »
If you hadn't photoshopped some orange on the first image, I'd have had problems playing Spot The Difference.
You almost managed to position the wheel spokes exactly the same.

What with the 790 and the oil/seized bearing you're not filling me with KTM envy yet. Which is a shame since the big GT beast is one of the few K alternatives that is attractive from a performance and capability point of view. Is it behaving apart from that?

Hah! Yeah they look very similar. I think the newer one has more sound killing pipework though. The rear subframe is horrid ton both, cheap looking and still on new models. On the 18 plate with only 3k on it, the paint had rubbed off on the outer most area.

My bike though, other than the oil leak it's a lovely bike. My 8 hour Wales day trip was good fun. Did a few of the roads we did last year. Power is great, noise is great, luggage carrying is fine. Nothing looks as good as the K with panniers on to my eyes though!

Downsides/character:
1. The nav, having previously used the BMW one, is lacking. No on the fly cancelling it, no uploading of gpx etc. And a habit of the phone carrying on shouting out directions after I've got off bike and turned off headset.

2. In the early days it sometimes struggled to start (may be related to this seized torque limiter thing) which would cause the display to either say General Failure or some other weird message. Since leaving it on charge and the warmer weather it hasn't happened lately. But it leaves feeling that it ain't no steady Eddie GS that starts like it's been waiting all day to get going.

That's about it. Obviously chain yeah, but I've only cleaned and lubed it twice so far, and that's mostly after terrible weather. I have little cause to ride in terrible weather now though. It's only been 6 months and bugger all miles so time will tell more I'm sure.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:27:29 pm »
Ta for the update, Matt. It sounds good.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 08:29:30 am »
Yeah it is :).

Thinking more on the last three bikes, I'd say - and you all witnessed - it took me more effort to go fast on the K. That was mostly mental I'm sure. The GS as you saw, I was more comfortable on going fast. The KTM is somewhere between the two. Possibly closer to the GS though after I raised the bars on the ktm. I noticed my rear tyre on this bike is showing signs of getting much closer to the edge too.

By going fast I mean those corner things.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 08:47:42 am »
Good write up Matt. Also good to hear that KTM are dealing with the issue on your bike even if it's taking longer than anyone would like.

I'm struggling to understand how you feel a GS (a bloody tractor!!!!) is quicker in the bends than a K1300S. On a very tight, narrow road, I could understand it, the wide bars of the GS giving the leverage, but on anything like a decent sweeper, the K1300S shoud be no slower in and a fair bit faster out. And when it comes to the SD1290GT, it should be the quickest of the lot.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 09:55:32 am »
Thanks David :). KTM just rang actually to say the parts arrived! Hopefully this rain will be gone by tomorrow or whenever the work is done.

As regards quicker, I mean insofar as my own riding goes. Although I think the first year of the wrinklies trips I attended I was in lazy commuter mode and had to learn how to ride again. 2nd year I was better.

As you say, it's the wide bars I expect, and with that and the narrower rear on the GS it gave me the confidence more than anything else. I've only taken the K on track and there it was great. If I had all 3 lined up on a track day it would no doubt end as you suggest :).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:25:37 am »
Peeps need to understand that when Matt got his K he was only 7 and still had stabiliser wheels on, which 'might' have affected his cornering more than somewhat...

A few pounds spent with Chris Code soon got them removed, eh Matt?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 01:30:09 pm »
Peeps need to understand that when Matt got his K he was only 7 and still had stabiliser wheels on, which 'might' have affected his cornering more than somewhat...

A few pounds spent with Chris Code soon got them removed, eh Matt?

Keith! And yeah he was a dab hand :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 09:53:00 pm »
Dunno who the hell Chris Code is but I bet he doesn't do bike courses... :-[

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 02:23:59 pm »
Corby vacuum cleaner salesman.

I got my big ktm back and I am most happy to be back on it. The other two aren't the same for covering distance. Aurally they've got the little ones to sound similar to the 1290 at pulling away gently revs, bit higher up they just sounded like a boring twin. A twin that is boring. Like my auntie.

Sadly they'd left my bike outside at least some nights, which perhaps is normal but my BMW lot never did so. They both have huge premises so who knows. I spent this morning cleaning it anyway. I bought a load of Autobrite Direct stuff when I got the car and it works a treat. The modern polish/wax combo stuff that actually likes getting on black plastics is quite something. Though we'll see how it holds up.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 04:20:28 pm »
My dealer here has also signed a contract with KTM . So am now the navigator in Orange Days , events organised by KTM to introduce the brand to new potential buyers.
The issue with oil is still major and many times has to do with wrong seals  used as different ones were installed at factory for different markets. So lets sey a bike originally for Canada , stops in UK and there with different operating temperatures might develop oil leaking issues.
The brand although definitely have changed completely , still struggles with distribution and some other factory issues, my believe is that soon they will overcome them all.
Embrace the wind.