Author Topic: Small hack?  (Read 16635 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Small hack?
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
So, I think I am looking for a small hack to do a few miles into town a few times a week to get to the gym, where parking is very expensive for cars but free for bikes  ;D

Fairly obviously I am not gonna use the K cos there is no secure parking and I don't want to load it up with too many commuter miles!

Also, I 'might' want to explore the local area's lanes so something that can handle a bit of girlie-level off-roading might appeal.

I don't want to spend a fortune and would prefer something with a reasonably monster seat height so my 33" inside legs get to relax on it. I also don't want to spend a fortune fixing something that stops every few miles and it won't ever see a dealer again once I get it home.

Waddyer recommend all you dual-purpose soft-roaders out there?

Brian (who seems to be having a third mid-life crisis   ::) )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Small hack?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:39:11 pm »
Be warned, you might get to like this green laneing lark.  ;)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »
See! I had one of those but it took a 6 foot copper and me to pick it up when I dropped it on my observed ride. Where the hell am I going to find a 6 foot copper in the middle of nowhere?

I want something I can pootle up the lanes on, pick up if I drop it and nip through traffic on.

Stop putting stupid ideas in my head you evil, evil man.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
See! I had one of those but it took a 6 foot copper and me to pick it up when I dropped it on my observed ride. Where the hell am I going to find a 6 foot copper in the middle of nowhere?

I want something I can pootle up the lanes on, pick up if I drop it and nip through traffic on.

Stop putting stupid ideas in my head you evil, evil man.
Brian you live in Newbury, almost no chance of finding a 6ft copper at all! theyre all 5ft nothing and most of them are too young to pick up the Beano let alone a bike  :P
How about an F650?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:32 pm »
I did a TRF ride recently and tried to slot in behind the ride leader when possible.

When a R1150GS goes down in a trail the followers are obliged to assist because they can't get past. There is also the sympathy which kicks in for the old git on the big lump.

Anyway I only laid it down about five times.

Funny thing was that I made it harder for the smaller bikes following me because they had to ride at my slower speed. The conclusion was that it is much easier to gas it on a smaller bike when it gets really slippery. I'm not going fast fast off-road on the GS because when a big bike gets out of shape at speed it normally hurts. You can't just step off.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:01 pm »
Brian, As you will know to get a decent hack bike is more difficult than sourcing a decent hack car, the car is way less money. For us to try and point you to look at such a bike we really need a ball park of available wedge.

Not that this bike would be right for your needs I am currently looking for a decent stroker Trial bike as a mate has a great place for beginners through to more expert. My favoured choice is a Bultaco Sherpa 350 but be no good for a commuter.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:55:34 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 01:29:35 am »
I need to clarify the' commuter' label for you Simon.

I don't work, you know that! In fact there are those who say I have never  ::)

'Commute' for me means nipping the few miles into town, nipping through the non-rush hour traffic, nipping into the gym, wolfing down a latte and nipping home again. I don't want to sit in traffic. I don't want to have to spend half an hour turning the bike round in a tight bike space and I don't want to worry about it falling on me up a lane somewhere.

It doesn't need to carry luggage, it doesn't need to be 'comfortable', it doesn't need amazing tank range, it doesn't need great lights or looks, it does need reliability but I don't care about economy as long as it is good at the 'soft-road' stuff. I know soft-road is a car term but you know what I mean. I want this to be my 'anti-K' bike.

For the few tarmac miles it is going to do, any road legal bike from a 125 to a 250 would suit the 'nipping' tag, anything less would be slower than my mountain bike and anything more would be a handful for a virgin on the lanes and not really a 'nipper'.

If it wasn't for the green lane bit of my desire, a small scooter would do but even I know small wheels and dirt don't go together.

I want something that is going to be fun to ride, almost 'fun' in a gleeful, childish sort of way. I want something that will put the same smile on my face nipping into town or nipping along a lane as the K puts on it on the fast stuff. One thing is for sure, the K wouldn't and indeed doesn't put a smile on my face doing the 'nipping' stuff; too heavy, too expensive, too big and way too powerful for 'nipping'!

The budget is irrelevant because any bike is available at a reasonable price as long as mileage and age are flexible.

Kenny! Have you seen the size of an F-650 Ford truck ? Or did you mean a beemer? Either way, probably too big for what I had in mind.

I haven't ridden a small bike since I was 16 and soft-road hadn't been invented back then, let alone bikes to do it on.

So, what are the options guys?

Offline panman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mra screen givi top box center stand frame and tank protectors
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:34:26 am »
hi brian,
would something like a Honda 125 varadero not fit the bill a large practical 125 adventure style bike
that will cope with some gentle off road  panman

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:12:44 am »
Brian,

A slightly posh option would be a BMW G450X.

It might be a bit more than you were looking to spend, but it'll hold the value reasonably well in comparison. And they're awesome off road bikes! Looks good on the road too, and of course, it's a beemer. Hmmmmmmm. Looking at prices, it's not a huge amount more than the alternatives.

Otherwise, I'd also look at a CCM400, although that might not be any cheaper than the BM, Suzuki DRZ400 (easy to fettle yourself), Yamaha YZF250/WR250, Honda XR (250/400). In any case, get something with electric start - it's no fun sitting in a big puddle trying to clear a flooded engine by foot! Actually, if you can go for kick start AND electric, you're covered either way.

Above all, please do post us some photos of your off road excursions!

Cheers

Steve

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 10:45:52 am »
Nice plan, Brian! I was in a similar position a few years ago and decided on a Yamaha XT660R. I really enjoyed the bike, with some reservations, and I note that it doesn't fit your criteria. If I was in your position now, I'd probably buy a Honda CRF250L or a Kawasaki KLX250. Perfect for the lanes and ideal for scooting about the town. Good luck with the quest.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:04:19 am »
If you are going to do the odd trail you may well need a set of knobblies but they will wear too quickly on the road and make the ride interesting. Also I believe little trail type bikes are desirable target for thieves.
What about one of those little Chinese cheapos for the commute?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:18 am »
Brian, Log on to AutoTrader, Bikes, Enduro. Not sayin' you will find one to buy but it will give you lots to look at and get an idea what is available.
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:09:13 pm »
Get a scooter preferably 250 or 300cc.  If you go the bike way , soon you'll find your self making assumptions and comparisons something you definetly do not need.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:03 pm »
All great ideas guys.

I have been looking online and there are a couple of 'obvious' contenders, XR250's and CRF250's, that sort of thing.

I like the height and stance of the G450 but it might be more than I 'need'. 'Want' is a different matter altogether but that is how we all ended up with K bikes  8)

Beemers for sale seem to be limited to the big 650/700's in this country and that is wayyyyy too big for what I want. No 450's on ebay or Autotrader and perhaps a little too much money to leave parked up outside the gym  :o

The Varadero would be OK if I was doing more miles on road but I don't need bodywork cos a) it'll get stuffed off-road and b) it makes a bike heavier and for the short rides on road I don't need the protection. Also they have a reputation for the mild steel down-pipes rotting if neglected and I had enough of that on the 1200S thank you very much and they were stainless!

Come on Costas! After the ride on the back of your scoot I'm still in shock and I don't think a scoot would do it. I'm not replacing the K so comparisons don't come into it. I want some fun! I want some fun in town and in the lanes.

I guess when it comes to tyres, much like the bike it will be a case of compromise. It's not like I'm gonna be doing the Dakar....although?

So, before the above fantasy gets the better of me, is anyone out there using something similar to what I think I need; as always, personal recommendation counts for a lot!

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:37 pm »
Brian take a look at a yam wr250r  I had one and there bomb proof and can be picked up by ones self when you part company on the lanes  ;D
lanerider