Author Topic: 1st post - High Idle, but can drop away after a few min and has stalled out once  (Read 6161 times)

Coully

Old icv ordered to go in old airbox

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Before you spend too much more money, get those recalls done asap - at least 2 of them are safety critical. Whilst the bike is at the dealers, ask them to check if it has the latest software on it - several idling issues were addressed with software (BMW were trying to get away without replacing hardware, and yours is in the middle of the range of years affected by such).

Plugs and coils do fail, but usually at much higher mileages/ages than yours.

Oh, and don’t leave the bike to ‘warm up’. You are just adding to your problems by doing so. When you are warming it up the bike is having to put more fuel through the engine, causing more soot, and the engine isn’t hot enough to burn it off at that stage - the riders manual specifically warns against warming the bike up whilst stationary - get on and ride it!

Next step is to find out what’s actually wrong wih it rather than guessing. Find your local friendly member with a GS911, obtain some data readings and hope we can spot something in them.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:22:33 am by stevel »

Coully

Cheers Steve,
All recalls were done, a few weeks back.
Whilst it was in getting those I did say for them to check if they found anything to go ahead and fix it, essentially giving them free reign, although i get a wee impression since they weren't going to get labour or talked themselves out of it, that they weren't so fussed, they replaced the wiring to the fuel pump for cost (no labour as they were in there already)

The idling was mentioned at the time of booking it in but they'd have to 'investigate'... which, given the known issues now put me out a bit, as surely hook it up if it is running weird , if they'd hooked it up to a diagnostic i'd have paid after the fact given what they were doing at the time, a bit of initiative, but i'm probably being naive i'll admit

As it was while i was in collecting or dropping off , i'd heard mention of £50 charge for it running a diagnostic , im a little less flush at the moment but will certainly look into it, I daresay if i can get away without having to get coils and such changed out ...id much rather avoid it.  :o

Dunc

Duly noted for the warming up, i shall no longer do that then  ;D, old habit from my VFR.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
As far as I know the first firmware update went with the new airbox and ICV.

In 2012 when I fitted the new parts to my recently acquired 2004 K12S, I had it booked in to North Oxford to do the update for £20. I had previously been assured by Bahnstormer Alton that my bike, with a full BMW service history was fully up to date with the latest firmware...

North Oxford asked if I would allow one of their apprentices to do the update under supervision and as we all have to learn somehow, I said OK. I was told it would be about 20 mins.

Half an hour later the service manager came out and said they had a huge problem as the mothership wouldn't allow the update. Two senior techs were trying again, convinced the apprentice had done something wrong. As it turned out he hadn't but the bike's firmware was still at the original build standard so they had to start from the beginning which meant many more coffees and biccies.

I didn't darken Bahnstormers doors again.

To be honest, I could tell no difference between the bike with the new airbox and ICV (and Power Commander with Zero map installed) before the update compared to after but it was a transformed machine with the new bits fitted.

Coully

i'm making an educated guess, since none of the recalls were done , that it would invariably be standard and the old one ...fingers crossed, but i'm now going to get a diagnostic run if i can if that sorts out the issues before changing out parts  :o

Coully

Not booked diagnostic yet...
Coming home tonight...clutch in and have surging revs to 3500

Offline TomL

• View Profile
Not booked diagnostic yet...
Coming home tonight...clutch in and have surging revs to 3500
Blimey! That sounds exciting.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Not quite as exciting as 5,000 and then 11,000 rpm but then mine was not surging but an instant high revs on start-up, so we know it isn't sticking throttles  :)

So, when the lights changed and you wimbled your merry way home, did the engine speed surge independent of twistgrip position?

I wonder if you have that 'Boy Racer auto-blip' device fitted to save you blipping the throttle when you are eye-balling the guy next to you at the lights  :D

Coully

Lol...boy racer auto blip...I'm sure folk must think that. .
A co worker did say that they dinna hear much But they hear me pull in about  8)

Coully

Diagnostic done  :( :(
Airbox and oxygen sensor faults mostly. ABS module but that was a given .
New oxygen sensor cost to fix is a bit scary.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
When I fitted the Power Commander to my K12S it told me to disconnect the oxygen sensor, which I did. Even with a zero map in the power commander (essentially 'out of circuit') and the oxygen sensor still disconnected (cos it was too much trouble to go backin to re-connect it) it ran as well as a K12 ever can without a remap.

Just try disconnecting and see what the results are like.

Coully

Googling oxygen sensor, I'm getting lambda sensor quite a lot, are they one and the same.
Stupid query I know

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes!

Coully

Cushty.... (scurries off to hunt down lambda sensors on net)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
Try and get an NGK one if they list it. Don't waste your money on the lambda sensors which come without the connector.

You can usually thread a ring spanner over connector and onto the hexagon of the sensor to remove it.

Some people wreck their oxygen sensors by spraying silicone in the vicinity of the sensor.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.