Author Topic: Too old to ride, too idle to work...  (Read 489 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Too old to ride, too idle to work...
« on: November 19, 2023, 10:55:55 am »
Only partly related to bikes and not related to each other.

Having decided to change the Honda for something else from the Honda stable, I popped into the Gloucester branch of Thunder Road Motorcycles on the off chance a few weeks ago. Had a mooch round the showroom, upstairs to the off-road bit and was about to leave when a salesman actually looked up and asked if he could help. Well, I needed a sit down after the shock and so I accepted his off of a coffee and a chat. Told him the story and he agreed with all my gripes about the Honda and was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the mods I have made to improve the bike.

Have you seen the new CRF300L? Well, not in the flesh!

Out we pop to see the one I had ignored on the way in. He took a towel to wipe the seat dry and wheeled it out from between its mates so I could try it for size. I was amazed at how much lighter it was than mine and I had explained that I wasn't looking for new one but he said I could still test ride it to see if I liked it. I was in the car and loaded down with clobber and hadn't planned on a test ride anyway but then he looked a bit sheepish and said...

'Could I just ask how old you are?' When I told him he said he was amazed and that I didn't look that old (so why did he ask?). 'Only, we have an age limit of 74 for test rides.' He was as gobsmacked at this policy as I was and said especially for the big tourers, that it was a real problem as most of their customers were getting on in years.

Anyway, didn't want a test ride anyway, but how do they expect to sell bikes to folks with deep pockets if we can't do test rides. Strangely, there is nothing on their website, nor Honda UK site about this limitation.

So, obviously, half of this forum is getting to be too old to (do a test) ride (on a Honda).

On to the idle buggers and swimbo is looking for a newer car and has been searching for probably a decade, with nothing fitting her needs which are overly restrictive...

However, one came up in Reading Audi and as she has never actually driven an TT we decided to take a drive and have a test drive.  I recounted my tale of age-related woe in Honda and, being older than me, panic set in about turning up, drivers licence in hand and politely being refused a test drive. How embarrassing...

I'll phone up and check says I. Phone goes to answerphone. Bugger, a bit early perhaps. Ring back later and discover that Reading Audi and indeed all Sytner Group dealerships nationwide only work 6 days a week.

What is the world coming to? One realises that folks need days off but all these big players seemingly have legions of salesfolks to ignore you whilst browsing their stock. Inchcape group sales are all open on Sunday, as are Jardines and most of the others. So, of the 2 days in the week that honest, hard working folks have off to go buy another car, Sytner are closed for one of them.

Now of course, Audi wouldn't close on Sundays if they had customers banging on their doors so one assumes that they don't. So when do those honest, hardworking folks buy their cars? Well, seeing as most of them are probably working from home they obviously do it during the week...in the firm's time.

As for today, Audi's potential customers in Reading are in the BMW, Jaguar or Volvo dealers which are all in business to do business and are obviously looking to do more.

Meanwhile, aged riders in Honda dealerships are being told they are too old for playtime.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Too old to ride, too idle to work...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 12:45:34 pm »
The North Oxford BMW loan bikes also have a similar age restriction (75 I recall, but can't confirm) which caught my eye last time I signed.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 02:56:01 pm »
Made me smile Bri  :D the times they are a changin combine that with us all getting older add the fact the current retail trade selling just about anything needs our money,just watched one of the best Moto3 races I’ve ever seen and one just has to adapt too these modern day times like it or not.

As for test ride hmmm maybe a car but I haven’t test ridden a bike in errrrrr think it was a K1200 from Clark’s in what 08? maybe.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 08:28:00 pm »
If you need me to test ride anything just let me know ;).

You liking the idea of the new CRF then? What does the data say re weight, packaging etc? Still requires the rear spring changing?

FYI almost everything in my current location is closed on Sundays. Bit slower out here!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 08:19:27 pm »
You can buy Teslas 24/7. Online.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 08:14:45 am »
Nah they turn the Internet off on Sundays in Auckland :p

Also, ever so slightly related, paying by any card that isn't an NZ bank brings a surcharge in almost everywhere that isn't Auckland (I'm near Taupo and Rotorua today). And then the best NZ bank (i.e one you'd be happy to introduce to your mother) hasn't got Google pay set up yet.

Having said that, I've yet to use/get/need cash.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 01:32:08 pm »
You liking the idea of the new CRF then? What does the data say re weight, packaging etc? Still requires the rear spring changing?

Still as rubbish in the suspension department as the 250 and not as much grunt as my little un with a tweak or two...so no, it wouldn't be my choice.

It's still heavy but doesn't carry it as high as the Rally, which is taller than any GS in town. Or country. But you don't see many of them in the country.