Author Topic: 1st post - High Idle, but can drop away after a few min and has stalled out once  (Read 6261 times)

Coully

Much obliged

Coully

Back in for new (old airbox +icv) new spark plugs (Might as well while it's in) and new lambda sensor...they then keep it for the weekend and phone me last night at 4:50 telling me I need a new throttle position sensor  :( and they can't get one till the end of the week . Aarrrgghh, quick call to motorworks and get a used one sorted but missed the post ..so it'll go today directly to them ..but not greatly impressed with the garage, to top it all off they've lost one tech and the other is leaving at the end of this week. So no techs in the Aberdeen garage  :-\ .

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
And just to be my usual grumpy self, one wonders whether the TPS was the real culprit all along  >:(

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Most certainly it was
Embrace the wind.

Coully

Gaaargh...well needed a new lambda sensor anyway :/

Coully

Turns out my bike also has a poorly or non set up power commander that is contributing to the poor running ... this keeps getting better and better

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
If the Power Commander is jot functioning the bike will simply not start or run. It 'could' be a cable problem such that one or more injectors is not working.

If the TPS was flaky that will affect the PC, it gets its mapping feed from there.

If the previous owner was a dork or a tinkerer, they could have buggered the fuelling every 500 rpm all through the range.

It is as easy as 1, 2, 3 to put a zero map in the device and run the bike as standard.

1 Download the software - free and intuitive.

2 Connect pc to PC, copy current map (for wind-back and reference purposes).

3 Install a zero map. There's one in the software or on the website.

You can always go back to the copied map.

You can always get it 'properly' set up on a PC aware dyno.

The main dealer won't (and shouldn't) touch a PC.

Coully

Cheers , the tech did seem to think it's just the power commander so I guess if it's so fiddly taking out then getting it set up couldnt be the worst idea .
But this hasn't been the best advert for buying off eBay....guess my luck had to run out in the end ha ha. Limited service history and all that ...no mention of the PC. I think the honda dealer here has a dyno/rolling road ...Will look into that

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
The zero map option listed above really is VERY simple. I did it some weeks ago and it's a doddle (it took me longer to re-learn Windows).

The software allows you to see what the current map is doing to your bike and when you look at the zero map you'll understand why it's called what it is. There's also something quite satisfying on a man level about "remapping" your bike yourself even if you're just uploading someone else's.

Also, with the zero map installed, you'll be able to quash all comments ending "it's the PC that's the problem" - the zero map allows the BMW signals to pass through it completely unmolested - it does nowt, nothing, zilch or zero.

Give in to the Force and have a go - you know you want to.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
...and if you don't trust yourself, borrow someone's 7 year old to back it all up before you muck it all up...