Author Topic: Goodbye to the Big K  (Read 7000 times)

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
Goodbye to the Big K
« on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:36 am »
Just a quick line to say I'll be disappearing soon as I'm moving on from the loveable big lump to a R1250RS. As i'm not the biggest person wheeling it about has always made my eyes bulge a bit, so despite it being brutally effecient at doing what I bought it for (demolishing fast A and B roads across Europe) the time has come to treat myself to something slightly more genteel. Have to say, that that new 1250 motor is the first Boxer motor I've enjoyed - most impressive.
Keep your eyes on Ebay as I'll be shifting some K13 shiney bits next week. Toodle oo

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Goodbye to the Big K
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:12:29 am »
No need to run away, Stevie, there are plenty of ex-owners still here!

Let us know how you get on with the R1250RS - the comparison would be useful to other members.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 03:20:32 pm »
Big time. We have a thriving community of ex-pats! And cow pats!

Also, if you list up your shiny parts (ahem) on here, you can avoid the flipping horrible eBay 10% fee thing, plus PayPal 3.something%. It's all very upsetting.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:47:33 am »
Well Stevie, I've been an asylum seeker here for over three years now, and no one has told me to pack my tank bag and head back from whence I came. So I'd stay and give us your expert opinion of the new steed with a piccie of course. You might be a goldmine of info should these K owners opt for a new bike. Keep in touch.

Jon  ;)

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:39:22 am »
I'll continue to hover in the background and possibly proffer a (biased, of course) opinion on all things R1250.
I may try to list the K bits and bobs on the for sale section first if I can suss out how to post photos.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:04:03 am »
I'll continue to hover in the background and possibly proffer a (biased, of course) opinion on all things R1250.
I may try to list the K bits and bobs on the for sale section first if I can suss out how to post photos.

And here's how to post photos:

Google Drive:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3699.0

ImgBB:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=2500.0

General cloudy image stuff:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=63.0

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 07:19:52 pm »
I've just added a R1250GS Rallye to the stable. Still trying to suss out the wobble wheel, TFT and Nav V1. Looking forward to gettig the first service out of the way after my careful running in. Then I can install the dongle and check out the Pro riding mode.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 12:31:15 pm »
Blimey! You come up on the Eurosqillions then Tom?

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 02:42:46 pm »
Does this Pro mode bring the same stuff as on the s1krr? I.e. launch control, put limiter etc?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 03:30:03 pm »
Does this Pro mode bring the same stuff as on the s1krr? I.e. launch control, put limiter etc?
No it doesn't.

It will become clearer when I try it because at the moment I'm overloaded with information gleaned from the manual with regards to using the TFT and satnav in motion combined with behaving myself with regards to running the bike in.

I think that the Pro mode has more influence on handling when the bike is used off road in Enduro mode. I don't anticipate using it off road and see it more as a comfortable touring bike for places such as Corsica and perhaps Morocco where the chance of doing some gentle off road will be very tempting. It replaces my CCM GP450 Adventure which I kept mainly for trips to Iceland. I've done Iceland three times and great as the place is, I don't anticipate going back there for a while. It also has the capacity to carry camping equipment which would be tricky on the K. It even comes with a top box!!

Blimey! You come up on the Eurosqillions then Tom?
Difficult isn't it? Spend it or leave it?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 06:46:31 pm »
Well, done the deal today so there's now an immaculate K1300 S Sport in Reiten at Glemsford; Delivery of the R December at the mo but there's hope this can be brought forward.
I'll stick my bits and bobs on the Wanted section this weekend before I go the eBay
route so keep those eyes peeled...........

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 01:30:11 pm »
Many thanks to Richtea for the advice on photo posting - it was a bit of a cut and paste marathon but finally got it done.

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 09:47:28 am »
Well, The R1250RS turned up early, and I have finally managed to get out for a first little trundle.
First (non - test ride) comparisions with the K1300:
It may be smaller but its still made of BMW lead and a hefty lump to wheel about; the TFT dash is excellent (best Ive seen) and functuonality comprehensive and requires a bit of homework with the handbook. The motor is a peach - Road mode is ideal for town traffic hell and the full fat dynamic mode gives very little away to the K's turbine like delivery, at least at legal-ish speeds. The motor also has a bit more 'character', in that it doesnt feel like a big electric motor (but then I'm a twin fan, my first boxer though). Oh yes, and its a lot harder to get on the centre stand despite being smaller and (a little) lighter - somebody got their geometry a little off.
All in all, so far I'm dead chuffed. When I've done a bigger ride on it I may have more to say (some hope this year now as they've started gritting the roads around here.......)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 12:18:25 pm »
Thanks for the update, Stevie. Sounds like a good (but heavy) choice!

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 07:04:14 pm »
Ok FINE I'll try one in the spring ;)