Author Topic: Navigator iv vs TomTom Rider 410  (Read 2720 times)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
Navigator iv vs TomTom Rider 410
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:29:11 am »
Hmmmmm...

I realise this is a topic that will probe something that is a really subjective area however...

I have a Nav iv that came with the bike. It's ok... However... The 410 allows you to plan better the kind of roads you want to ride... Which is a very appealing feature that beats just avoiding motorways.

Does anyone have experience of both to shed light on which may be the better option for when it comes to planning interesting routes (plus general use ability; reliability etc)

Over to you gang‼️
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Navigator iv vs TomTom Rider 410
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:53:35 am »
Common Rae..... 8)
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:57:38 am »
Don't use either!

There are a squillion route planning apps and programs (remember them?) out there, almost all of which are better than doing it on the device.

Others have used Tyre and MyRoute to great effect. No-one (except 3 hikers in the wilderness USofA) has ever used Garmin Basecamp to any effect. Can't remember which Garmin the Nav iv is based on but if it uses Garmin's old Mapsource, then that is an excellent if clunky route-planning tool but the later devices don't work with it!

I did plan my return route from Llandudno, post Wrinklies run, on my Garmin 660 and it produced exactly the 240 mile, winding route I wanted with a mere 11 waypoints and no hassle whatsoever, which is more than can be said for trying to get the Wrinklies routes into the damn thing in the first place  :o

However, getting the route correct on such a clunky and small device is never easy and I cheated by using Google maps on my iPad to see the detail and resorted to my Ordnance Survey maps for the overall shape of the route.

And you are correct, it is a very subjective issue and quite 'them' and 'us', so I'll not let myself get dragged into the 'mine's better than yours' debate  8)

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 12:00:04 pm »
It's no secret that I am a Tomtom man and have tried Garmin but didn't get on with the user interface.
The Tomtom 400 series is not a complete solution but on the whole I like it. Before the recent Wrinklies trip my Rider 400 had to go back to Tomtom for a software glitch which turned out not to be a glitch and although they sent me a replacement unit still has the same problem that I started with. This was to do with route importing, a minor niggle that I can live with.

So on the Wrinklies trip I used the Tomtom App on my phone which runs the same software and interface as the 400. It performed faultlessly apart from one incident at The Lazy Trout where I had placed a waypoint a few yards out of place.
The new Rider 400 has three levels of windingness and three levels of hillyness.
I prefer the Tomtom over the Garmin but I am biased. There are a couple of features that I wish they had retained from The V5 such as showing and warning custom POI's. The Tomtom discussion forum are lobbying Tomtom techs to reinstate this feature. We now have the facility to make outgoing calls since the latest update.

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:10:06 am »
Tom Tom 400 for me too, far more intuitive and easy to just put an address in and go. I had a Nav IV for 3 years and considering the huge cost thought it fairly rubbish.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 12:13:58 pm »
You make it sound as though the Garmin doesn't let you put an address in and go Tim!

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:45:04 pm »
Thanks gang : I've had a Tom Tom before so know how easy that is to use. For me the point of a nav would be to generate 'interesting routes' including circular ones from home/wherever. Simply getting from a to b is easy and not why I got the bike... TomTom it is - plus the Hornig cradle to hold it atop the yoke.

Anyone in the market for a Nav iv?
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!