Author Topic: Tool/puncture kit storage  (Read 1983 times)

Offline MrAliT

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 k1300s
Tool/puncture kit storage
« on: September 28, 2022, 07:03:41 am »
I'm doing a regular daily commute of 60+ miles and always carry a puncture repair set with me which has got me home on a couple of occasions.

The set isn't massive but it's quite heavy and carrying it around in a ruck sack is wearing a bit thin.

It's pretty common to see bikes like the GS. With plastic boxes on the inside of their pannier racks to carry tools so I wondered if anyone knows of a similar product that would fit the K?

Similar to one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154972441219?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GApu6eONTgC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=9D9UHmlDRd-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just mounts inside the nearside pannier.

On longer trips (touring) I'd be happy to remove it as tools can go in the panniers.

Any ideas gratefully received

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Tool/puncture kit storage
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 11:06:27 am »
I have been looking at this recently, there are several youtube videos, search for DIY motorcycle tool box. Some have made tool tubes out of 4" drain pipe. You may be able to fix to the passenger foot hanger. I don't think you'll find a commercially available solution without having to alter it.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 11:44:05 am »
Without delving into the "which type of plug is best" topic again it would be good to hear what makes up people's puncture repair kits!

With gloat mode briefly enabled, I have my puncture repair kit above my toolkit (KTM sorry!) underneath the rear seat. Nice having some space!

Mine is
 - the plugs
 - co2 cylinders and adapter
 - a blade
 - pokey bits

I do umm and arr about getting a battery powered pump like some of us have, but so far haven't brought myself to do it, and introduce the need to think about how to carry it.

Edit: https://www.printables.com/model/262457-number-plate-storage-box
Possibly more options at thingiverse too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:52:39 am by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 12:11:21 pm »
I use a Baglux Evosign tank bag and Bagster harness (on both bikes so bag is interchangeable), which is great for day to day use. It has 2 compartments so i put all the chunky stuff in one and things like phones and wallets in the smaller compartment. Expands from 20 to 30 litres if you collect something, but fully expanded might get a bit awkward. I can also slide my Abus Granit D lock under the bag when it is clipped on. It also has rucsac straps thus mine has seen almost as much use as carry on luggage when flying as on the bike. The bag has done about 70000 miles over 6 years plus a load of flights and is starting to show signs of wear now. The harness on the K12 has done the 60k and is unmarked, the harness on the K13 has done 10k and although mostly white is also very clean.

Having said all that I noticed on the Wrinklies that Matt has a very neat Kriega tail pack on his KTM 1290 and will be taking a look at one of those as I find a full 30L tankbag clashes with my RAM phone mount on the steering head.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 04:22:11 pm »
Blimey, how heavy can a puncture repair kit be? Mine would easily fit in a large'ish jacket pocket and weighs next to nothing. OK, 750 grams to be precise. The heaviest things are the CO canisters at 60grams each and I have five in the kit. But then again I keep mine in the Sargent seat pod. And then again, again, I never remove my Sport Cases so weight is no problem.

The KS has a puncture repair compartment in the left rear side pod. It isn't the easiest or fastest to access in an emergency and I have no idea how big a repair kit it will take but you can bet your bottom DM that German bikes had them as standard and it is/was available as a part numbered accessory from dealers.

I have a tool tube on the little Honda and to be honest I'm paranoid about losing what is in there. It wouldn't surprise me if it was empty when I needed it the most.

For something that small I would invest in a tank ring mounted day bag which is easy to pop on and off without straps getting in the way.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 04:54:04 pm »
OK. To save you all the trouble, I just removed both rear side pods. Neither has enough room to store my kit and from what I saw, the BMW kit must be more like a bicycle repair kit in size. I reckon, if push came to shove I could split the kit and store a bit in each side pod and a spare CO canister either side of the TPMS/Alarm unit under the seat.

A suitably small tool roll would be easy to bungee under the tail light and not get in the way of the number plate light.

And, if by 'panniers' you mean Sport Cases, then a longer tool roll would be easy to bungee/tie-wrap to one of the Sport Case mounting rails. Near-side would be my best bet as it would be less visible when the bike was on its side-stand.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 05:31:22 pm »
I carry all my puncture repair kit in the Sargent seat pod. Also enough room in there for my visor cleaning sponge and drying cloth.

If I didn't have a Sargent seat I would carry it in my tank bag.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 05:40:38 pm »
It really is a pity that a pod is not available for the stock seat. Way back in the old site, there was a 'member' who was making carbon or plastic parts, one of which was a rather sharply styled seat pod for the stock seat but it all seemed to go away at some point with no concrete result. Not that concrete would have been a good result...

Offline MrAliT

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 k1300s
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 06:21:03 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the options and feedback.

I'd like it to be something that I can leave on the bike and forget about rather than a tank bag and I've not go enough space under the seat unless I want to start splitting it up which I can't help thinking is asking to loose bits. Because I'd like it to be left on the bike it needs to be reasonably secure (not zip tied on for example) and lockable.

Looks like there might be a few interested parties if we can find a solution.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 07:40:13 pm »
Sure I've seen a small box that fits under the number plate
advertised somewhere. Not sure if it was marketed as a first aid kit box or a tool box but I'm sure somebody with better tinternet search skills will be along in a minute

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Number-Plate-Storage-Box/dp/B01C91IBX0/ref=asc_df_B01C91IBX0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309930562754&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14088999845342774777&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045283&hvtargid=pla-673145105916&psc=1
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:46:14 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 08:13:05 pm »
With the number plate lock box you may have to extend the number plate light.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:08:35 am »
i've been thinking on two ideas.
1 saw a small toolkit bag velcro strapped under a bicycle seat that i thought would be a perfect fit under the luggage rack, nice fit and fairly invisible. should hold a small compressor and tyre repair kit. that said it is designed for a bicycle and people might think you also had a bicycle...
2 on the left hand side there is a fairly large gap between the fairing and engine, i often thought it could be utilised for storage by means of a suitably sized box and bracketed of the frame/engine/gearbox. however i recently bought a r1200rt fire brigade bike which had zip up soft storage on top of the tank area in front of the handlebars each side. these were held on by velcro and were a decent pull to remove, i think one would be a nice fit in there. downside.. i'll have to be nice to the wife who is in charge of all things sewing, and has the final say on sticky back velcro related incidents.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 02:25:18 pm »
Since there is provision to fit a pannier rail there are handy mounting points for an alternative rail (on either side) that you could attach a toolkit / roll onto.
On the other hand, if it's in view it will probably get nicked.  Grrr. >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 07:33:09 pm »
Ah, but...

He spoke of 'panniers' for touring so one ass u me's he has the rails screwed in there...

2/10 see me later  :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 07:57:18 pm »
Ah, but...

He spoke of 'panniers' for touring so one ass u me's he has the rails screwed in there...

2/10 see me later  :)

Ah. In that case just leave a single pannier on the bike. They're no wider than the mirrors.